Sikorsky UH-34D (VNAF “Song-Chuy” 213th Helicopter Sqn, Da Nang Vietnam, 1966)

This was a pretty easy build, with the overall level of detail and fit being quite good on this kit.

I just added an instrument panel and PE seatbelts in the cockpit, connected a few cables to the winch and added some other small exterior details. I cut out one of the cockpit windows as well and mounted it in the opened position. The camo colour was built up with different tones of green, tan and grey (Gunze/Tamiya) and weathered with oils, a light drybrushing and some pigment dusting. Decals are from the kit: nicely printed but terribly brittle, causing them to break up easily. They settled well on flat surfaces, but getting the large ones to conform to the curved nose and tailboom required quite a bit of work (and touch-ups with paint afterwards).

The very nice Heller Jeep received some parts of a Brengun PE set and I also added a scratch-built antenna/radio unit. Figures are from CMK/Hasegawa, with some ValueGear items and Eduard’s PSP base completing the little scene.

Hope you enjoy the pictures: thanks for looking!

Comments always welcome,
Patrick

P.S. For those interested in the subject, I came across this YouTube video with interesting footage of VNAF UH-34D's operating from a.o. Da Nang AB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D228_1s5zaU

Credits background picture: designed by Freepik, photo by jannoon028: https://www.freepik.com/free-photo/tourism-flight-stratosphere-scenic-cloud_1048502.htm#page=1&query=stratosphere tourism&position=44&from_view=search

Edited by fox1_BE
  • Like 46

You nailed this one, and the diorama adds realism and authenticity. I remembering seeing a USMC/SNVAF H-34D at the Tennessee Museum of Aviation a few years ago at  Sevierville, TN that was being restored, and you could still see the bullet holes and sheet metal patches in the fuselage. Very nice model and great weathering! :like:

Mike

https://smokymountains.com/sevierville/things-to-do/tn-museum-of-aviation/#&gid=1&pid=4

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

You nailed this one, and the diorama adds realism and authenticity. I remembering seeing a USMC/SNVAF H-34D at the Tennessee Museum of Aviation a few years ago at  Sevierville, TN that was being restored

Thanks Mike - that looks like a great selection of museum aircraft, like how these are displayed as well, very neat 👍

Great camo on that Mig-17!

26 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Great model and very authentic scenery.

Cheers mate!

BR,

Patrick