S and M Models. Still trading?. Response received. Sad news.

Meatbox8

• Meatbox8 changed the title to S and M Models. Still trading?. Response received. Sad news.

I have heard nothing more from Mel's daughter and fiancee. They had a mountain of stuff to work through they knew nothing of. I know some members on here who knew Mel for many years, and lived locally to his storage unit etc. had offered their assistance. I imagine his daughter is still going through Probate etc. Never the swiftest of issues in normal times.

I imagine what ever was going on will surface at some point.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

While on this topic, does anyone know what happened to the moulds? I hope someone will revive the line of products

My understanding was that plastic kits were moulded by contractors in Ukraine (Mikromir-AMP?) Were there any moulds for resin casting owned by S&M?

14 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

While on this topic, does anyone know what happened to the moulds? I hope someone will revive the line of products

Mikromir announced lately Canberra B.2 1:72 kit, with box art representing the very same aircraft which was on the only option in S&M B.2 kit.

One could assume that back then there was agreement between S&M and MikroMir in which first offered basic Canberra versions (B.2/T.4/B.6) and the other special variants (T.11/T.17).

In my opinion MM announcement suggest that they have now right to all Canberra version (and possibly to other plastic models of S&M). Time will tell.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dredge up this sad topic, but is there any news or rumour of any S&M kits being resurrected or bought by other suppliers? Mel had some great offerings, it would be a shame if they disappeared forever.

4 hours ago, scautomoton said:

any news or rumour of any S&M kits being resurrected or bought by other suppliers?

The Canberra kits, with corrections, remain in production with AMP.

I have no idea about the Wasp, but with LF's pending releases, this seems hardly necessary.

The Avro 748 has an interesting history.  Mel entrusted it to Mach 2, who after his death, have accorded the project a low priority.  Mel did not provide any good reference material, or even a workable prototype--only a built resin kit that probably was from AIM.  Didier told me the shape of the cockpit was all wrong, which would confirm my suspicion it was the old RugRat Resin kit.  

And Sycamore. I think these two - Sycamore and piston Provost were the two really good kits. But also they were likely manufactured in Ukraine. So probably there are some CADs or master molds that could be reused. Side question here is intellectual property rights etc. 

Edited by Dennis_C

Maybe still being sorted. I know his daughter needed help sorting all his kit stuff. I believe a couple of our members here who knew Mel for years and lived fairly near offered to help. I assume they did as she didn't come back to me for assistance.

• Like 1