F-14A VF-31 "Tomcatters" - USS John F Kennedy 1984

This build was part of the F-14 Tomcat STGB as well as part 4 of my VF-31 Tomcatters SIG build (built F-14D, F/A-18E, in-progress F-4B).

The model of course is Tamiya’s amazing 1/48th F-14A with a few extras thrown in, but to be honest you really only need the Qunita Studio cockpit decals and some nice resin cans (and not the Aires ones like I used, surprise surprise they don’t fit without surgery!!!).

The model just falls together, with maybe a couple of tiny spots of filler required, other than that it has to in my opinion as one of the best models out there to build for fit and finish. There were a few details that need to be changed on the model so are to represent an early F-14A-80-GR version, Tamiya includes some but they don’t supply the eastly type gun port vents.

The scheme, other than being one of my favourites and if you know your US Navy squadrons a bit different. The decals are form the long since OOP Microscale set with includes decals for a Pacific Missile Test Center bird.

When VF-31 replaced their F-4J’s they were still deployed on the USS John F. Kennedy and carried the tail codes AC, they operated off the Kennedy for a bit over 2 years (Oct1981 - May1984). They then moved on to the USS Forrestal, which they stayed with for 8 years with the F-14A’s. Now the USS Forrestal carried the AE tail codes. These decals have the AE code but the USS John F. Kennedy as the carrier. They are not a mistake either, I have only found one photo of this combo, all the others (and there are not many) have the correct carrier name with this tail code. The only other early scheme I have seen was a SuperScale set (again super rare) for the F-14A which had the AC code only and no Felix….. anyway…..

………time for some photos, a link for the build is supplied, plus some extra family photos as well.

Thank you for looking, please enjoy.

Model: Tamiya 1/48th F-14A Tomcat

Paint:  AK Interactive Real Color, and MRP, Tamiya Acrylics, Alclad Lacquer 

Extras: 

Amur Reaver – F-14 Tomcat Detail set

DEF Model – F-14A Early Type wheel set

Eduard – BigEd PE set

Legend – F-14A/B Ejection seat set LF4046

Mircoscale Decals – F-14A’s.  – 159449 

Quickboost – F-14A Gun Cover Early

Quinta Studio – F-14A 3D Decals

ResKit – F-14A Exhausts Open & Closed set

IMG_6564-XL.jpg

IMG_6566-XL.jpg

IMG_6567-XL.jpg

IMG_6568-XL.jpg

IMG_6570-XL.jpg

IMG_6573-XL.jpg

IMG_6575-XL.jpg

IMG_6577-XL.jpg

IMG_6584-XL.jpg

.... and some family photos

IMG_6590-XL.jpg

IMG_6592-XL.jpg

IMG_6594-XL.jpg

• Like 56

Stunning result, who doesn't luv a Cat?? I have one waiting to be built as part of my VF-111 quad ( F8, F4, F14 and F5) A question if I may, was the base built by your good self or bought?? Thanks in advance

As an aside, if you are a user of YouTube try Ward Carroll. He's an ex F-14 rio and has a series of excellent stories from both his own experiences and from others in the former Cat community. Worth 30mins of your time if you have any to spare as he has loads to tell!!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, simont382 said:

Stunning result, who doesn't luv a Cat?? I have one waiting to be built as part of my VF-111 quad ( F8, F4, F14 and F5) A question if I may, was the base built by your good self or bought?? Thanks in advance

As an aside, if you are a user of YouTube try Ward Carroll. He's an ex F-14 rio and has a series of excellent stories from both his own experiences and from others in the former Cat community. Worth 30mins of your time if you have any to spare as he has loads to tell!!

thanks.

The base was bought off evilBay and I can't remember at the moment who produces it either, but its a good quality one. Will have to check out that channel as well, thanks.

My plan is to build every type of aircraft used by VF-31 in 1/48th. Currently I'm only missing the F2F-2 Panther (have 3 more Tomcats to cover the different Carriers they were on and schemes, just need one more for the "Last Flight" bird), though I only just discovered yesterday through one photo that they also operated for a very short time the F2H-2 Banshee, up til then I only thought they used the later/bigger F2H-3 Banshee "Big Banjo", I have the super rare Collect-Aire model for that.

You may know this site, really helpful for projects like ours! :thumbsup:

https://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VF-squadrons.htm

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

thanks.

The base was bought off evilBay and I can't remember at the moment who produces it either, but its a good quality one. Will have to check out that channel as well, thanks.

My plan is to build every type of aircraft used by VF-31 in 1/48th. Currently I'm only missing the F2F-2 Panther (have 3 more Tomcats to cover the different Carriers they were on and schemes, just need one more for the "Last Flight" bird), though I only just discovered yesterday through one photo that they also operated for a very short time the F2H-2 Banshee, up til then I only thought they used the later/bigger F2H-3 Banshee "Big Banjo", I have the super rare Collect-Aire model for that.

You may know this site, really helpful for projects like ours! :thumbsup:

https://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VF-squadrons.htm

Just tried the link which will come in very handy, thanks very much 

• Like 1

It isn't easy to make the overall Light Gull Grey scheme look interesting - I know because I've tried - but you've made a fantastic job of this. Well modelled, Rich.

Best from NZ

Ian.

• Thanks 1