HMS King George V 1/350

Rich75

5 hours ago, thekz said:

Thanks for sharing this, much appreciated, there's a lot to take in there ! I'd be interested to know if anyone else finds it difficult to navigate that site though, don't know if maybe it's not suitable for a smart'ish phone....

10 hours ago, Rich75 said:

don't know if maybe it's not suitable for a smart'ish phone....

Yeah, combining web surfing with windsurfing doesn't always work)

In my opinion, full-fledged internet surfing is possible only from a desktop computer with a large monitor. 
By the way, let me give you one more piece of advice: use different search engines. Yandex (I hope it is not blocked) gives the link I sent you as the third result when you search for "radar type 279b". Google does not give it at all!

So Russian things sometimes work! I also advise you not to forget about Yahoo

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, small update so I can ask for some advice more than anything, I decided to go back (literally) to the shelter deck because I want to get the main parts of the ship done before I finish the masts and I was waiting for the kagero plans to turn up while I did the w/t office. If anyone can help I'd like to ask what the structure circled behind the pom-pom director might likely be? I'd like to make it slightly more detailed if I can so it would be great if someone could shed some light on it. Everything I added so far I've tried to use pictures to make a reasonable attempt at but I can't find any of these, I don't like to just guess so any help is greatly recieved, 

2023-10-01_06-52-53

Thank you and thanks for looking in

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rich75 said:

I don't like to just guess

Don't have a copy of the original plans, but considering the location I'd guess it's a pompom RU magazine (the space below the upper bridge pompoms is also used as an RU magazine). NMM has a GA online but not at a legible resolution...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, foeth said:

Don't have a copy of the original plans, but considering the location I'd guess it's a pompom RU magazine (the space below the upper bridge pompoms is also used as an RU magazine). NMM has a GA online but not at a legible resolution...

Thank you that's really useful, I may put some doors there then, maybe a vent ? There's some pictures where you can almost see something.

Using this as a reference from HMS Belfast... 

2023-10-02_08-13-13

I think I'll put a small hatch at the bottom of the director too.

Thank you, that's really useful. I think I'll put a couple of doors there. There's some pictures where you can almost see. Using this pic from HMS Belfast..

2023-10-02_08-13-13

I might put a small hatch at the bottom of the director as well, although I'm not sure if it looks quite original or not?

• Like 2

So, I just thought of opening Ian Buxton's Duke of York's book... there's a small GA in there as well, but, printed much smaller than the other plans. The print is tiny and grainy but it seems like it reads Radar Office (so a small room with equipment for the pompoms?) The plans indicate a door at the funnel's side, as far aft possible, with the hinge bow-side.  The small structure in centre between the pompoms has its fwd compartment as 'Ru MAG' (I think :) ). Could upload a scan for some pixel interpretation....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foeth said:

So, I just thought of opening Ian Buxton's Duke of York's book... there's a small GA in there as well, but, printed much smaller than the other plans. The print is tiny and grainy but it seems like it reads Radar Office (so a small room with equipment for the pompoms?) The plans indicate a door at the funnel's side, as far aft possible, with the hinge bow-side.  The small structure in centre between the pompoms has its fwd compartment as 'Ru MAG' (I think :) ). Could upload a scan for some pixel interpretation....

Well that's interesting! If you can upload the scan that would brilliant, thank you for looking into it I really appreciate that

10 hours ago, Zoran Srb said:

You are really going above and beyond.... I admire your perseverance and hope you see her through... Cheers...

Thank you, I'll do my best, I feel I'm making reasonable progress with her now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all, been a long time since my last update, I haven't given up or lost interest in KGV, personal problems took over I'm afraid. Anyway I thought I'd share where last got to and hopefully at some point soon I can restart the build.

I had decided to add some details into the shelter deck and also make a start on the boat deck. If you look at pictures of KGV there aren't many of the shelter deck in the later configuration so when @foeth shared the pictures of DOY a while back it gave me some great rreferences. He also very kindly gave me an idea of what I was looking at in them so many thanks @foeth.

I started by going back to the kit boiler room vents which I'd built quite early on, I didn't like them so much, so I took inspiration from @PeterMachin and his excellent KGV build and had a go at making them a bit better..

20231022_152226

They were tricky to unstick, sorry for the lack of before photo, after that shelter deck, I added some vents to the engine room vents under the pom pom directors 

20231126_184050

I've also removed the PE around the the aft most director and tried to scratch the larger box structure around it and made a fog light and platform from one of the kit signal lamps and some spare PE

20231126_184016

Also added the heat shields around the funnels..

20231112_192514

20231112_192427

And also added what I believe is a water tank under the upper ammo lockers

20231126_183810

And some gussets under where the cranes are mounted

20231126_184241

After that I removed the kit gussets from the boat deck and added some of my own, I think there were too many on the kit and also the kagero plans too so I used the Allan C Green photos for reference 

20231112_192725

Thanks for looking in, I've missed you all too! so hopefully have some more to share soon, cheers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1