HMS King George V 1/350

Rich75

Hi all, time seems to be in short supply at the moment but I had a couple of hours at the weekend, so I spent it drilling out hawsepipes and filling the supports for the propshafts. These aren't quite finished so I didn't take any pictures yet, I also fitted the, I think, fairleads? Large and small, around the edge of the deck so hopefully I'm close to priming the hull, finger's crossed. After leaving the hull for some filler to dry I started removing the edges of some of the structures on the rear AA deck in readiness for the PE that while go there,  so here's some before and after 

20220403_152922 20220403_154157 20220403_160324

Not too shabby actually, I surprised myself! I also found the devil does make work for idle hands because I ordered some extra signal lamps and some ADO & ALO sights for various positions on the bridge along with some voice pipes I'll have to find a home for, so thanks for looking in promise I'll start getting on with it!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Hi all, some more little steps, surprising how time can pass and then it feels like I haven't achieved much but hopefully the effort will come good at the end, took quite some time to tidy up these fairleads (they are rather small)

Here's one I did next to one I hadn't 

20220410_141709

These were two of the larger ones as well, twelve of those later my eyes needed a rest:drunk: and I thought now was a good time to get some primer on the hull so, two light coats of mr  hobby 1500 got me to this

20220410_180511

20220410_180532

I wanted to check for any scratches or anything I may of missed, like this

20220410_180616

So a little putty to go in these pinholes I think and a light flat down then i can have a go at the plating, I really recommend the primer by the way it goes on very smooth but doesn't bury all the details, anyway that's where I'm at so thanks for looking in, feels like a bit of a step forward!

Edited by Rich75
Typo
  • Like 4

I agree. The work on the fairleads may have been eye straining, but most definitely worthwhile!

Looking good with the primer on, and only a couple of minor blemishes!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Hello.

This build looks really good, meticulous. 

I have a question about the portholes.... were the bottom line of portholes covered on the ship at this time in its life?

Thanks.

R

• Thanks 1

On 11/04/2022 at 21:07, SallysDad said:

Hello.

This build looks really good, meticulous. 

I have a question about the portholes.... were the bottom line of portholes covered on the ship at this time in its life?

Thanks.

R

Hi thank you, yes the portholes were covered during one of her early refits, I believe after Prince of Wales was sunk, to try to add some more flood  protection as I understand, I may be corrected on that however!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, had a bit of a break from the hull while I wait for some black primer to arrive which, i hope, I'll be able to use to get some variation in the colour when that goes on, we shall see how that goes. In the meantime I thought I'd make a start on the gun deck detailing which is my first attempt at the more tricky PE parts. It's also the first time I've used PVA as well which I found quite nice to use, anyway it think it came out OK so far so thanks for looking in, more to come soon...

20220424_184851 20220424_184831 20220424_184645

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, thought I'd check in to show where I'm at, decided to have a go at getting some hull plating done, this has turned out to be rather more involved than I was intending, I originally thought I would mask out some basic sections and use some primer just to get some raised effect, so I got some tape on and marked out where I wanted then carefully cut out alternating sections. When I started to take the tape off I thought hmm, the plates looked OK maybe I won't need to use primer at all so I decided to scribe the lines a bit more, halfway through this was the point the power of hindsight made an appearance and I wished I'd stuck to the original plan because its taken me ages and I'm not so happy with it.  To begin with I should have done it at the start with a bare hull but there you go,  anyway here's where I'm at and I will get

it to where I'm happy with it, some bits I have filled and will do again,  thanks for looking in, 

20220508_155306

This is how it started 

20220522_133814

And this how it looks now

20220522_133902 20220522_133921 20220522_133943

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, so the past few weekends have sidetracked me quite a bit but I have managed to have  couple of days off so I've been able to make some progress. The hull plating turned into a bit of a test for me and in the end I felt I had got as far as I could and it was time to move on, next time I'll do it differently (earlier) but I think I learned something from having a go at it. One last coat of black primer and I thought I'd try some pre shading to try and get some colour variation in the top coats so this is how that went,

20220530_144923 20220530_144931

I did this all over the hull but forgot to take a picture before masking. Then on with the hull colour..

20220530_183431 20220530_183458

I left that for a day and moved on to the upper hull and deck,

20220531_150247 20220531_150235 20220531_150154 20220531_150214

All done using Colourcoats enamels which are very nice to use and mask over, I did the top two colours within an hour and.  no lifting or anything 👌🏻so I think I'll get a coat of lacquer on this so it doesn't get marked and mount it on a plinth now, all in all feels like some progress. The colour variation is much more subtle in reality, photos seem to exaggerate it somewhat but as a first attempt I think its not to bad. I'll get back to the upper structures now and all the PE that goes along with it, thanks for looking in 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Coming together very nicely so far, what colour did you use for rhe antifouling?

Thank you all, the anti-fouling on the real ship was done in Moravia grey, Sovereign Hobbies suggest using km11, so I did😃 makes a change from dark red anyway!

• Thanks 1