HMS King George V 1/350

Rich75

I'm with the above - very impressive etch work and general detailing.  I've just taken possession of the Trumpeter Queen Elizabeth battleship and it's given me an insight into just how big King George V is :blink:

Rob

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:34 AM, Rich75 said:

so I did😃 makes a change from dark red anyway!

Yes, very true. Tamiya and Trumpeter, for that matter, seem determined to paint hulls red! Even the Trumpeter 1/350 kits, with hulls in three bits (waterline modelling) provide the lower hull moulded in Red!!!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:35 AM, Modelholic said:

I use a small sewing needle pushed, pointy end, into a bit of pencil eraser with the eye chopped off halfway down (like a pitchfork).

Likewise, very successful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

What @S-boat 55 said👆 your work is so neat, especially considering you're using CA glue, really good build so far.

Thank you, I do try to use PVA as well where I can as it gives me more time to get parts into position and I can use it to fill small gaps too

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I'm with the above - very impressive etch work and general detailing.  I've just taken possession of the Trumpeter Queen Elizabeth battleship and it's given me an insight into just how big King George V is :blink:

Rob

Thanks Rob, I will look forward to seeing that one on the go for sure

Thanks for all the kind words, much appreciated, I've been working on her most weekends but the small parts can take some time so I didn't bother posting one director, then another and another, sometimes you think you're not getting anywhere but really you are. As ever thanks for looking in :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi all, thought it about time to share what I've been up to. A while back,  during his cracking build of HMCS Eyebright, I  asked @robgizlu how he went about making bulwark supports, he duly spilled the beans and I learned something new, thanks again Rob! So I set about cutting tiny triangular pieces of plasticard...loads of them.. in fact 137 so far, starting with the pom-pom platforms and signal deck, more to do here still..

20230425_200549

And then lower bridge 

20230425_200700

And compass platform, which needs a few more little bit and pieces. When my eyes recover!

20230425_200730

Every section needed different sizes too, which took some working out to make them not look too overscale. I know they mostly are but I hope they add a bit of extra interest, the ALO positions are the smallest I could cut!

Director tower next, it looked like the platforms around the HACS directors were a bit small to me so I extended them slightly and removed the kit supports

2023-04-28_08-22-52

Cut out the new supports,

20230423_170556

Three different sizes, the smallest was too small to drill so I decided to glue them in place and drill the last one in situ,

20230423_171540

That's when I dropped my drill and snapped the bit off!:doh: 

Anyway thanks for looking in, hope you like it so far, I have some more to show but dont want to post too big a list all at once,and thanks for the inspiration of all your builds👍🏻

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Rich75 said:

So I set about cutting tiny triangular pieces of plasticard...loads of them.. in fact 137 so far,

Gidday Rich, making and fitting those bulwark supports is an interesting way of inflicting pain on yourself - most masochists have themselves whipped (so I'm told 😁). And will they be painted a different colour to the deck? They're very impressive however. I've done some on my own models, but only a few, nowhere near that many. As I said, very impressive.

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Rich, making and fitting those bulwark supports is an interesting way of inflicting pain on yourself - most masochists have themselves whipped (so I'm told 😁). And will they be painted a different colour to the deck? They're very impressive however. I've done some on my own models, but only a few, nowhere near that many. As I said, very impressive.

Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff, unfortunately (for me) yes they need to be a different colour to the decks. All the vertical surfaces are NARN 22 except the blue panel on the hull. As soon as I put the first one on I thought hmmm, that might make things a bit tricky! It will be worth it though🤞🏻

This picture of Prince of Wales shows the sort of thing I was trying to achieve

HMS Belfast 1943 Weapons

IWM

I found this pic searching for octuple pom pom mounts, the site accredited to IWM but for the life of me I can't find it on their site so I can't put the reference on. There is others clearly taken at the same time from the same spot but this one is the only one  I've seen that show sections of the upper decks as well, if anyone can help with the ref number I will put it up 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich75 said:

yes they need to be a different colour to the decks. All the vertical surfaces are NARN 22 except the blue panel on the hull. As soon as I put the first one on I thought hmmm, that might make things a bit tricky! It will be worth it though🤞🏻

Gidday again, I did some on the main deck of my Flower-class corvette, but only about 1/2 dozen a side. They were a bit fiddly to fit and paint but I agree with you - they look good when done.

That's an interesting photo you've included, and quite a lot in it. Thanks for posting it.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, thought it was about time to give an update on where I'm up to, it's been a while since my last one but I have been working on KGV. These latest bits have taken ages but fingers crossed they'll look good when I eventually get some paint on, anyway first off, 

The forward upper Pom-Pom platforms, I removed the moulded gussets and added my own and some other bits to make them, hopefully, a bit more representative;

20230501_164231

20230508_125539

20230508_162615

These are some of the parts ready to fit

20230528_193942

20230528_193853

And what I finished with.

I also made this insert up to fit inside the director tower, I can't really find any pictures of this so a bit if artistic license needed but it adds something to the tower instead of the big hole with nothing inside as standard 

2023-07-10_06-33-29

Next I did a bit to the forward Pom-Pom directors and mounts, again a bit ofscraping and cutting,

20230609_135031

Parts added

20230609_160848

And placed onto the platform, plus a bit of my finger bottom right!

2023-07-10_08-03-14

This was quite tricky to place nicely as I wanted to keep the platforms separate for when I paint them, the main supports locate into the lower platform so getting them to sit nicely before gluing them was a bit of a head scratcher. Next up was fitting the PE antennas to the directors and I have to say for some reason these were the most difficult parts I've done yet. I learned two things from doing these

1. With a lot of effort I could get them done.

2. Even with the amount of effort they were hard work with my limited skills and don't look that good. I know it sounds like a kop out but I wish I'd gone the 3d printed route because the level of detail would be worth it, but it's done now. I am slightly disappointed with them.

So, that's pretty much where I am now so here's a dry fit of the forward superstructure, all the sub assemblies are loose for painting, I will add railings before that and cable reels but I wanted the main parts done so I can move on, feels like I've been on this part for ever hope you like it!

20230710_181315

20230710_181251

20230710_181440

As ever thanks for looking in.

• Like 18

"limited skills" ............ahem - I think not!  You are packing in the detail and I think it looks terrific.

It really is impressive and is going to sing under the paint :goodjob:

Rob

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jerry L said:

Very nice! Much better than I could ever do.👍

12 hours ago, robgizlu said:

"limited skills" ............ahem - I think not!  You are packing in the detail and I think it looks terrific.

It really is impressive and is going to sing under the paint :goodjob:

Rob

3 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Amazing skills at such a micro level.  I am following this with interest.

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @Rich75, that's very well done, with all the intricate detail you've added. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your kind words,  

Rob very nice of you to say, but some of the PE tested the old patience to the limit. A while back I had to get another set when I struggled with the frames over the funnels, If I hadn't bought that set I couldn't have finished the pom pom directors, as a couple of them snapped during assembly. I would have been in a pickle then:o

• Like 1

It's looking amazing. I shudder to think what your version of 'does look good' must be, all those yagi aerials look absolutely perfect!

The styrene work is a great improvement too. Drilling holes into gussets hidden on the underside of platforms is really going the extra mile! 

Nice you've managed to keep it in subassemblies for so long, hopefully the painting won't be such a logic puzzle. I guess with all those gussets, it'll be a job for the hairy stick?

Andy

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Rich75 said:

fit inside the director tower,

Stunning, I was impressed with your addition of the scratched gussets, more so when you drilled holes in them. Then you went and added internal detail, that will be almost invisible. You’ve made this superstructure a work of art. 
:worthy:

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Stunning, I was impressed with your addition of the scratched gussets, more so when you drilled holes in them. Then you went and added internal detail, that will be almost invisible. You’ve made this superstructure a work of art. 
:worthy:

Jon

Thanks Jon, you're very kind,

This is what I was looking to fit in the director tower. Not sure what it is I'm afraid perhaps someone will enlighten me now, but it is visible in photos 

2023-07-11_12-23-59

Green, Allan C. 1878-1954 photographer.

Date

[ca. 1900-ca. 1954]

State Library Victoria 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

It's looking amazing. I shudder to think what your version of 'does look good' must be, all those yagi aerials look absolutely perfect!

The styrene work is a great improvement too. Drilling holes into gussets hidden on the underside of platforms is really going the extra mile! 

Nice you've managed to keep it in subassemblies for so long, hopefully the painting won't be such a logic puzzle. I guess with all those gussets, it'll be a job for the hairy stick?

Andy

Thank you, the aerials just got the better of me really, even with my magnifier I couldn't see well enough to place them, but if you think they'll do then I'm happy, thanks again. And yes I will have to brush paint some parts now,  steel decks and such are non slip grey so anywhere you could walk but I think the gussets are mostly hull colour, the undersides will be OK to airbrush though