HMS King George V 1/350

Rich75

Hi all, some progress to report! Decks are in place at last and not looking to bad at all, first time I've used anything like this and I'm very impressed with the fit, they just went exactly in place straight over the PE hatches I'd fitted, result! Anyway here they are and as ever any thoughts or advice gladly received, thanks for looking in,

20220820_162929

20220820_162915 20220820_162956

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rich75 said:

Anyway here they are and as ever any thoughts or advice gladly received, thanks for looking in,

If you are going to fit PE railings and use CA, be aware that the wood is like a sponge to CA glue. I found that if I ran a very light coating of CA where the railing was going to up against the wood, it sealed the wood. Then when I came to stick on the railing the CA held.

Jon

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Faraway said:

If you are going to fit PE railings and use CA, be aware that the wood is like a sponge to CA glue. I found that if I ran a very light coating of CA where the railing was going to up against the wood, it sealed the wood. Then when I came to stick on the railing the CA held.

Jon

Thanks for the advice I'll put that on the "must remember" list! I'm also going to need some hand holding when it's time for rigging....:(

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

If you haven’t already got some, then I heartily recommend Bob’s Buckles, @Bobs_Buckles they are brilliant for creating anchor points for rigging.

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Jon

Thank you, I've read about these on this forum but I'll have to get my head around it! Which size would you recommend and do you use the tubing or just the eyelet? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Thank you, I've read about these on this forum but I'll have to get my head around it! Which size would you recommend and do you use the tubing or just the eyelet? 

I’ve used both sizes, 1/32 and 1/48, and have used the tubes.

I used the tubes on my Puffer and TID builds, but those are 1/144, I think the tubes are be too big on 1/350 so use the eyelet alone and use 1/48 ones.

They are very small and threading them can be hard work, but they do provide a very secure anchor. You first need the plan where they are going to be BEFORE assembly, otherwise drilling the hole can be next to impossible and I try to fit them after painting, otherwise the hole in the eyelet can get clogged.

Once you are ready to rig, thread your line through the eyelet and knot it and add a drop of CA and you are done.

If you are going to get some, it’s probably worth getting both 1/32 and 1/48, I’ve no experience with the other two sizes.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, not much to share at the moment other than a request for some advice,  I've been sidetracked recently after biting the bullet to get some decorating done at home, we've three rooms to do but my good lady wife said when they're done I can have one for myself to "make model ships and things" in,hoorah! Needless to say I decided that was a reasonable plan. Managed to grab a couple of hours on KGV though which brings me to my problem, I've been working on the funnels, adding some detail which is OK but I am having real problem trying to fit the PE framework which goes over the top of the funnels. I've found it almost impossible (to me) to bend the small tags enough without them snapping off, so much so that I bought them again, with no more success, I'm at the point where I had to try to replace the broken ones with small pieces of wire, the trouble is they look really bad to me and I can't unsee them!

20220918_182940

These are the parts I mean, 4 of the tags are missing from this one

20220918_180605

This is what I got it to look like

20220918_180539

And close up, I know it looks worse in photos but I'm a bit disappointed I can't get them right. I did try annealing one of the broken ones first but they are so thin they melt almost straight away. So can anyone give me some advice about how you guys would do these parts please and how I could bend these without them snapping? I spent hours getting nowhere with these and I'm pulling my hair out so any help would be greatly appreciated (needed badly :rage:)

Thanks for looking in anyway

Edited by Rich75
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, quick check in, not a lot of progress (ie none) owing to pesky decorating duty but in the long term that will be worth the time spent. However I still get to spend time looking for additions so a few clicks later and some " what have you ordered now?" Comments and I have these!

20221010_123802

I had some pretty basic tweezers already but they were too big for most parts I needed them for, and no good for bending PE parts too small for the bending pliers, hopefully these will help, the Meng ones especially are very nicely made and have very fine tips, also these came

20221010_123814

The answer to all my CA placement woes! Gimmick? We'll see but again very nicely made, and also...

20221010_124046 2022-10-10_12-55-18 20220710_183122 20220710_183035

Micromasters rangefinders and flota nets, North star models searchlights and various bridge equipment, voice pipes lookout sights etc! :dog:best I get on with it again soon or I'll be getting more, I've been looking towards my next project as well, idle hands and all that! Also still not happy with the frameworks over the funnels so might have to go back to it as it's playing on my mind a bit, anyway thanks for looking in, hope you're all well and hopefully next time I'll have something to share...

• Like 10

Hi Rich - as to the funnel grills - I agree - they aren't easy.  I hold the main ring or oval in some flat nosed pliers and then use a second set of pliers to bend the lugs down.  I never anneal etch nowadays.  I'm in awe of the guys who get their grills to sit neatly - the saving grace is that most of this area on most vessels was painted black and that tends to "hide" any imperfections.  All you have to be ..."is good enough".

The Meng tweezers look nice. 

@Ex-FAAWAFU gave us this tip a while back - Well worth getting - some of them double for flat nosed pliers...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Anti-Static-Maintenance-Electronics-Jewelry-Making/dp/B06VXWKY9F/ref=sr_1_2?crid=BBBPQH8WK5UH&keywords=pixnor&qid=1665445755&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjYzIiwicXNhIjoiMS45OCIsInFzcCI6IjEuMzYifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=pixnor%2Caps%2C57&sr=8-2

I'd be interested to see how you get on with the Super Glue applicators.  Another fab tip from @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies was accupuncture needles to apply CA glue available on Ebay

Like all the 3D goodies, especially the Flotanets

Keep up the Good work

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Rich - as to the funnel grills - I agree - they aren't easy.  I hold the main ring or oval in some flat nosed pliers and then use a second set of pliers to bend the lugs down.  I never anneal etch nowadays.  I'm in awe of the guys who get their grills to sit neatly - the saving grace is that most of this area on most vessels was painted black and that tends to "hide" any imperfections.  All you have to be ..."is good enough".

The Meng tweezers look nice. 

@Ex-FAAWAFU gave us this tip a while back - Well worth getting - some of them double for flat nosed pliers...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Anti-Static-Maintenance-Electronics-Jewelry-Making/dp/B06VXWKY9F/ref=sr_1_2?crid=BBBPQH8WK5UH&keywords=pixnor&qid=1665445755&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjYzIiwicXNhIjoiMS45OCIsInFzcCI6IjEuMzYifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=pixnor%2Caps%2C57&sr=8-2

I'd be interested to see how you get on with the Super Glue applicators.  Another fab tip from @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies was accupuncture needles to apply CA glue available on Ebay

Like all the 3D goodies, especially the Flotanets

Keep up the Good work

Rob

Thanks for the tips Rob, I have ordered those tools, much appreciated, I should add I reordered the parts I couldn't get right...and had no more success second time around:doh: rather frustrating.. I can't help but compare my work to others but I guess over time the skills may come. I hope the CA tool works, they have one for thicker glues, these are for thin so we'll see, I use a solid wire attached to a scalpel holder at the moment or cocktail stick. Cheers again 👍🏻 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all, its been a while since my last update but I have recently managed to get back onto KGV after some extended decorating fun so I have something to share at last! I'd said previously that I was struggling with the PE frames over the funnels, I couldn't get them into shape without snapping them, I'd ordered another set and had the same problem. I wasn't happy with them as I had left them before so I had to have another try, because It was bugging me. New tweezers with much finer tips helped and after (quite) a few hours I got them a bit better, Here's how they look now

2023-01-21_06-46-20

From there I could carry on with the funnels, there's no interior detail with the Eduard set so I added some bits I felt I could make myself and tried to follow what I could see in photos and the advice kindly given to me by @PeterMachin in his brilliant KGV thread, i added some brass tubing for the various vents and pipework coming out of the tops and sides

20230101_125408

These come out from the sides

2023-01-15_07-29-55 20230115_171537

And altogether after adding the PE

20230121_145340 20230121_145441 20230121_145501

That was about as far as I could go with these and they took a while but I'm glad I went back and tried again, after this I've gone back to the superstructures and I'll post the latest from that next, I'm happy I've made some progress, thanks for looking in, as ever any thoughts welcome cheers!

• Like 9

On 22/05/2022 at 20:12, Rich75 said:

Hi all, thought I'd check in to show where I'm at, decided to have a go at getting some hull plating done, this has turned out to be rather more involved than I was intending, I originally thought I would mask out some basic sections and use some primer just to get some raised effect, so I got some tape on and marked out where I wanted then carefully cut out alternating sections. When I started to take the tape off I thought hmm, the plates looked OK maybe I won't need to use primer at all so I decided to scribe the lines a bit more, halfway through this was the point the power of hindsight made an appearance and I wished I'd stuck to the original plan because its taken me ages and I'm not so happy with it.  To begin with I should have done it at the start with a bare hull but there you go,  anyway here's where I'm at and I will get

it to where I'm happy with it, some bits I have filled and will do again,  thanks for looking in, 

Glad to see I'm not the only "nutter" here ;) .... Small suggestion if I may. Maybe you should consider tinting individual planks in few shades, so it will be more realistic... Good job so far, cant wait to se her done.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments 👍🏻 

On 22/01/2023 at 01:26, Zoran Srb said:

Glad to see I'm not the only "nutter" here ;) .... Small suggestion if I may. Maybe you should consider tinting individual planks in few shades, so it will be more realistic... Good job so far, cant wait to se her done.

Thank you, I have considered picking out individual planking, the wooden deck even came with a tool for the job!

2023-01-23_06-38-02

I have done a lot of shading and washes on the deck though, the thing is they aren't so obvious in the pictures and I'm wary of overdoing it, how would you go about it? maybe I'll try it later. There's still a fair bit to go on the deck anyway, breakwaters and the like so they'll need some wear and tear too, thanks again 

• Like 3

Hi all, a little update as I said I was going to get some more done to the superstructures, I've spent a lot of time looking at photos, not just of KGV but all the ships in the class to find some good shots of the various forward platforms but I usually end up seeing the same pictures, I think I've spent as long looking through the IWM website as I have on the model, I hope my research skills improve as time goes on! Anyway I've added some bits to try to busy up the compass platforms and upper platforms, some not totally accurate but ( I hope) a fair effort...

20230115_171850

Some pipework between platforms 

20230115_171839 20230115_171834 20230115_171753

Together not so bad, adds some interest at least,

20230115_172336

And, barely visible to me until I took the pictures, there's actually some voice pipes on the shields I added, Honest!

20230115_172107

And finally some fiddly PE

2023-01-21_06-20-38

This doesn't look like much, but it took me a while, as I've ended up with two set of the same PE set due to my misadventures with the funnels, I'll make use of some of the locker covers for the platforms and then I think I'll move on. As ever thanks for looking in and providing the inspiration👍🏻

• Like 6

On 23/01/2023 at 19:55, Rich75 said:

Thanks for the kind comments 👍🏻 

Thank you, I have considered picking out individual planking, the wooden deck even came with a tool for the job!

I have done a lot of shading and washes on the deck though, the thing is they aren't so obvious in the pictures and I'm wary of overdoing it, how would you go about it? maybe I'll try it later. There's still a fair bit to go on the deck anyway, breakwaters and the like so they'll need some wear and tear too, thanks again 

Use fine brush, diluted paint (some sand and lt. brown, I use 2 sand, and 2 lt brown shades). Work plank by plank randomly. I recommend using oil based colors (I prefer Humbrol), since it offers longer drying time, and possibility to correct any mistakes (with thinners).

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, some more progress to share, I turned my attention to the HACS and main armament directors. They turned out to be the trickiest parts I've built  so far!  Starting with the HACS I thought I show you a bit of a step by step in case anyone was thinking of doing the same, It might be helpful to someone.

20230205_142010

This is what I started with and the mould lines were pretty bad tbh, lots of scraping required and I hope you can see on a couple the top and bottom don't line up too well either !

20230218_145301

So much scraping later here's one with the PE ready to fit, the white patch on top is where I filled the locating hole for the original plastic antenna 

20230312_170442

20230312_170521

And here all done, these took quite a while, especially trying to figure out how high the antennas should sit but all in all not bad.

Next up the (aft ?) main armament director

20230205_141929

Not so much to clean up here except for a rather large hole!

20230312_170354

20230312_170345

I had to make up some spacers to mount the aerials because the mount was too wide....but again, done now, just realised I should have put more steps in sorry but this one wasn't too bad to do

Now onto the forward main director 

20230219_163226

Here with all its pieces, 18 in all! And the original on the left, only one part. To fit the PE you have to fill the gap in the top of the tower where the original plastic radar would sit, not sure it looks like a type 274? I filled it with plastic strip first and trimmed to size then mr dissolved putty to smooth the join. You have to cut out most of the plastic from the radar, in fact you're left with just the two L shaped side pieces joining the top to the bottom. These proved rather awkward to place:o

20230312_170314

Here's what I finished up with, hopefully you can see I put a small dowel in the top of the mount to help mount the type 274, I had to do this because the flat mount did not fit well against the curved surface of the radar. I used a .5 mm drill bit, held my breath and managed to do it. It definitely fits nicer now, I just have to make a sighting port to sit to the side on the left

20230312_170303

And the back, which has quite a lot going on actually, all in all these directors have been quite a challenge but I'm happy with how they've turned out, after these were all done I did a dry fit of everything I've done so far and realised it's coming together now! I'll share that soon but in the meantime thanks for looking in 

• Like 10