HMS King George V 1/350

Rich75

Hi all, time seems to be in short supply at the moment but I had a couple of hours at the weekend, so I spent it drilling out hawsepipes and filling the supports for the propshafts. These aren't quite finished so I didn't take any pictures yet, I also fitted the, I think, fairleads? Large and small, around the edge of the deck so hopefully I'm close to priming the hull, finger's crossed. After leaving the hull for some filler to dry I started removing the edges of some of the structures on the rear AA deck in readiness for the PE that while go there,  so here's some before and after 

20220403_152922 20220403_154157 20220403_160324

Not too shabby actually, I surprised myself! I also found the devil does make work for idle hands because I ordered some extra signal lamps and some ADO & ALO sights for various positions on the bridge along with some voice pipes I'll have to find a home for, so thanks for looking in promise I'll start getting on with it!

• Like 5

Hi all, some more little steps, surprising how time can pass and then it feels like I haven't achieved much but hopefully the effort will come good at the end, took quite some time to tidy up these fairleads (they are rather small)

Here's one I did next to one I hadn't 

20220410_141709

These were two of the larger ones as well, twelve of those later my eyes needed a rest:drunk: and I thought now was a good time to get some primer on the hull so, two light coats of mr  hobby 1500 got me to this

20220410_180511

20220410_180532

I wanted to check for any scratches or anything I may of missed, like this

20220410_180616

So a little putty to go in these pinholes I think and a light flat down then i can have a go at the plating, I really recommend the primer by the way it goes on very smooth but doesn't bury all the details, anyway that's where I'm at so thanks for looking in, feels like a bit of a step forward!

Edited by Rich75
Typo
  • Like 6

I agree. The work on the fairleads may have been eye straining, but most definitely worthwhile!

Looking good with the primer on, and only a couple of minor blemishes!

Ian

• Thanks 1

On 11/04/2022 at 21:07, SallysDad said:

Hello.

This build looks really good, meticulous. 

I have a question about the portholes.... were the bottom line of portholes covered on the ship at this time in its life?

Thanks.

R

Hi thank you, yes the portholes were covered during one of her early refits, I believe after Prince of Wales was sunk, to try to add some more flood  protection as I understand, I may be corrected on that however!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, had a bit of a break from the hull while I wait for some black primer to arrive which, i hope, I'll be able to use to get some variation in the colour when that goes on, we shall see how that goes. In the meantime I thought I'd make a start on the gun deck detailing which is my first attempt at the more tricky PE parts. It's also the first time I've used PVA as well which I found quite nice to use, anyway it think it came out OK so far so thanks for looking in, more to come soon...

20220424_184851 20220424_184831 20220424_184645

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, thought I'd check in to show where I'm at, decided to have a go at getting some hull plating done, this has turned out to be rather more involved than I was intending, I originally thought I would mask out some basic sections and use some primer just to get some raised effect, so I got some tape on and marked out where I wanted then carefully cut out alternating sections. When I started to take the tape off I thought hmm, the plates looked OK maybe I won't need to use primer at all so I decided to scribe the lines a bit more, halfway through this was the point the power of hindsight made an appearance and I wished I'd stuck to the original plan because its taken me ages and I'm not so happy with it.  To begin with I should have done it at the start with a bare hull but there you go,  anyway here's where I'm at and I will get

it to where I'm happy with it, some bits I have filled and will do again,  thanks for looking in, 

20220508_155306

This is how it started 

20220522_133814

And this how it looks now

20220522_133902 20220522_133921 20220522_133943

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, so the past few weekends have sidetracked me quite a bit but I have managed to have  couple of days off so I've been able to make some progress. The hull plating turned into a bit of a test for me and in the end I felt I had got as far as I could and it was time to move on, next time I'll do it differently (earlier) but I think I learned something from having a go at it. One last coat of black primer and I thought I'd try some pre shading to try and get some colour variation in the top coats so this is how that went,

20220530_144923 20220530_144931

I did this all over the hull but forgot to take a picture before masking. Then on with the hull colour..

20220530_183431 20220530_183458

I left that for a day and moved on to the upper hull and deck,

20220531_150247 20220531_150235 20220531_150154 20220531_150214

All done using Colourcoats enamels which are very nice to use and mask over, I did the top two colours within an hour and.  no lifting or anything 👌🏻so I think I'll get a coat of lacquer on this so it doesn't get marked and mount it on a plinth now, all in all feels like some progress. The colour variation is much more subtle in reality, photos seem to exaggerate it somewhat but as a first attempt I think its not to bad. I'll get back to the upper structures now and all the PE that goes along with it, thanks for looking in 

• Like 17

3 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Coming together very nicely so far, what colour did you use for rhe antifouling?

Thank you all, the anti-fouling on the real ship was done in Moravia grey, Sovereign Hobbies suggest using km11, so I did😃 makes a change from dark red anyway!

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, not much to share at the moment as I've found myself short on spare time, I'm making progress on the forward superstructure and I'll share some pictures shortly, however I have realised I should have taken some before starting as a reference for you to show how much I've removed ready for the PE replacement, sorry. In the meantime can i ask for some advice please? I'd like to add some wash and highlights to the deck fittings before I fit the wooden deck, I've tried using some grey ak wash but for me when i try to get it in some of the smaller areas it just spreads out too far and won't stay in the join, so to speak. Does anybody have a recommendation, I have some oils to use later would these be better? Also what sort of colour would be best as being colourblind sometimes causes an issue to making the right choice!:drunk:thats why " grey wash for naval decks" was my first choice, as ever thanks for looking in and any help gratefully recieved 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, its been a while so thought I'd show you where I'm at, still haven't had a lot of spare time recently so small steps are taking some time but some progress to share, after painting the hull I moved onto the forward superstructure and various bridges, compass platform and so on,

Here's where I had just started mostly removing the moulded on parts ready for PE,

20220619_160842

A fair bit of filler needed especially at the front, numerous doors and hatches to go on, after looking at many photos I decided to mark out positions for some more scuttles which aren't on the model I think should be

20220630_194248 20220630_194317

Some time later I got to this point 

20220710_163802

Then I added these extra shields into where the lookout sights are stationed

20220630_194306

One thing I noticed when looking at photos of the ship was what appears to be cabling running  to the searchlights so I thought I'd try to replicate them

20220730_164259 20220730_164637 20220730_165410

Not bad for a first attempt probably a bit oversize but I'm learning on the job! They were pretty tricky to place actually :drunk: here's pretty much what I've got to so far 

20220807_191918 20220807_191939

I'll show you what I've done with the funnel and HACS tower next as I haven't finished them yet and don't want to post too much at once, thanks for looking in and if anyone has any thoughts or advice I'd be very grateful 

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I've been quite preoccupied recently with the bridge structures so I stepped away from it for a while as I was quite keen to get the wooden deck on, it felt like I was starting to have too many things not quite finished so time to get things in a bit more order. As far as I know wooden decks tend to take on a washed out greyish look to them after a while and looking at pictures of KGV in late 1944 she was looking quite worse for wear, so I thought I'd try to wash mine out a bit using these;

20220817_193911

I've been waiting for this to turn up:dog:after a bit of research it seems drybrushing carefully with these can be quite effective so another first for me to try!  Here's what I started with and hopefully you can see where I tested it out a bit around the edges first,

20220817_193916

Sometime later I got to this, I used some of the waste areas to "go to far" so I had a reference to stop before I got there

20220817_200016

I thought it looked pretty subtle, but compared to the other piece, which I haven't done yet, I can see the difference 

20220817_200115

I don't think It's overdone, but as ever any thoughts gladly received, thanks for looking in

• Like 10

Rich - I think that is a hit - looks really effective.  I've used Mig production "Neutral Grey" enamel wash on my decks previously which gets you roughly to the same place.

Good to see this back on the Go

Rob

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, good to know if I'm going in the right direction 👍 

13 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Rich - I think that is a hit - looks really effective.  I've used Mig production "Neutral Grey" enamel wash on my decks previously which gets you roughly to the same place.

Good to see this back on the Go

Rob

Thanks Rob, I thought about using enamel I wasn't sure if it would be OK on the wood? I was worried it might spread into the fibres too much if you know what I mean? Do you dry brush it? I have some AK wash for grey decks I may use some near where the metal structures meet the deck ie barbettes and the like as it's quite dark?  Thanks again chaps

4 minutes ago, Rich75 said:

Thanks guys, good to know if I'm going in the right direction 👍 

Thanks Rob, I thought about using enamel I wasn't sure if it would be OK on the wood? I was worried it might spread into the fibres too much if you know what I mean? Do you dry brush it? I have some AK wash for grey decks I may use some near where the metal structures meet the deck ie barbettes and the like as it's quite dark?  Thanks again chaps

Hi Rich - The AK wash is indeed much darker - I've used it on Colombo (see the current thread).  I used the MIG productions wash which is much lighter on Calcutta.  I don't dry brush it - I apply lightly with a brush without "soaking".

I think you've arrived at a similar place and I may well use your method on a future deck so as to give some variation.  I think it really is necessary to do "something" to the wood deck veneer as it arrives as it looks far too pristine

Rob

14 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Rich - The AK wash is indeed much darker - I've used it on Colombo (see the current thread).  I used the MIG productions wash which is much lighter on Calcutta.  I don't dry brush it - I apply lightly with a brush without "soaking".

I think you've arrived at a similar place and I may well use your method on a future deck so as to give some variation.  I think it really is necessary to do "something" to the wood deck veneer as it arrives as it looks far too pristine

Rob

Thank you Rob, I may give it a try in the places I said. I would recommend this lifecolor set, the different tones could be quite useful to you, and they are airbrushable, I can't see them so well being colourblind makes it tricky!

• Like 1

Thanks Rich - I have it - my initial impresion was that the colours were all too light but seeing Kev's application on his Mumble Bee, I called it wrong - they'll definitley see service soon

Rob

• Like 1