HMS King George V 1/350

Rich75

Hi all not so much progress at the moment but I have got both sides of scuttles and covers done, time consuming but worthwhile I think, hopefully not far off getting some primer (and plating) onto the hull,thanks for looking in

20220227_162643 20220227_162637 20220227_162632

Edited by Rich75
Wrong picture
  • Like 4

Hi Rich,

Regarding the stern, KGV was unique in class - whereas all the others had round scuttles, KGV's were rectangular. Actually on close-ups of PoW, you can see rectangular weld seams with a round scuttle in the middle so evidently they changed plan during construction.

KGV_stern.jpg

• Like 3

On 13/01/2022 at 20:33, Rich75 said:

Some goodies have arrived, my master barrels and eduard photo etch sets, I am seriously impressed. I have realized this may take some time 😁 

20220113_190354

This would seriously put the fear of God into me!  What adhesive are you using for this?  Thanks and best of luck!

Some goodies have arrived, my master barrels and eduard photo etch sets, I am seriously impressed. I have realized this may take some time 😁 

20220113_190354

This would seriously put the fear of God into me!  What adhesive are you using for this?  Thanks and best of luck!

20220113_190354

10 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Rich,

Regarding the stern, KGV was unique in class - whereas all the others had round scuttles, KGV's were rectangular. Actually on close-ups of PoW, you can see rectangular weld seams with a round scuttle in the middle so evidently they changed plan during construction.

KGV_stern.jpg

Hi thanks for looking in, yes I was aware of these I think they are for the admirals quarters and as you say unique to KGV, so I find myself in a bit of a dilemma now, as I wanted to fit them but I wasn't sure if I had the skills to get them to fit nicely tbh, ie flush and straight, so i went for the scuttles as I'd rather fit those than muck up the hatches, But I want her to look as accurate as possible and if I don't fit them it'll bug me, :doh: @Boydie has used some on his KGV and it looks so much better,maybe i'll have to bite the bullet. Any suggestions welcome, thanks again

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Hi thanks for the interest, I've tried a couple of different CA glues but I've settled for vms flexi at the moment, it seems to be doing the trick but for the railings at least a lot of people seem to use gel types, I'll ask before I get that far though! and yeah I suppose all the PE can look a bit daunting but the detail should make it worthwhile, especially on bits like the cranes, I'm not going to rush it, I'm happy to just get one bit done as long as it looks ok and it's a bit of a challenge, I look at the other builds on here and think I wish I could do that so I thought I'd try! 

Thanks again 

• Like 1

Hi Rich - loving it.  The portholes look really good.  Share your dilemma with the square ones.  If you are going to try them - just stick a pice of Tamiya masking tape along the bottom "border" and use that as a leveliing guide.

The Loctite "Powerflex Gel" gives you some time to fiddle with position (not sure about the VMS?) before setting.  The reason I use CA Gel is for when I need to mask it for Camo schemes.  If you wont be masking, PVA glue of your choosing will give you LOTS more time to fiddle with position.

Good luck

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Rich75 said:

Hi thanks for looking in, yes I was aware of these I think they are for the admirals quarters and as you say unique to KGV, so I find myself in a bit of a dilemma now, as I wanted to fit them but I wasn't sure if I had the skills to get them to fit nicely tbh, ie flush and straight, so i went for the scuttles as I'd rather fit those than muck up the hatches, But I want her to look as accurate as possible and if I don't fit them it'll bug me, :doh: @Boydie has used some on his KGV and it looks so much better,maybe i'll have to bite the bullet. Any suggestions welcome, thanks again

Honestly mate I think it looks fine, you've kept excess glue to a minimum. I always imagine the average person who visits my house and sees my models on display won't have a clue of the differences. So I just make the model to however I want it. I'm not the type of person to enter a contest.

Just do what you're comfortable with, it's a hobby after all. 

The placement of the rectangular scuttles aren't 100% accurate on my King George. But if you're wanting to do them too I actually did it the same way @robgizlu suggested, the only difference is I use VMS slow drying CA glue.

• Thanks 1

This is inspiring me to get back into my own KGV. I found the Eduard parts to be a real headache, seems you've got more patience than me. 

Will you be making up the octuple 20mm mounts? They were an absolute nightmare on my 1/200 Nelson, I can't even picture getting it right in 1/350. 

On 02/03/2022 at 11:59, TeaWeasel said:

This is inspiring me to get back into my own KGV. I found the Eduard parts to be a real headache, seems you've got more patience than me. 

Will you be making up the octuple 20mm mounts? They were an absolute nightmare on my 1/200 Nelson, I can't even picture getting it right in 1/350. 

Hi thanks for looking in, yeah I'll be giving them a go that's for sure, although I had to talk myself out of going the micromasters route! I'm happy if I can get one bit done nicely at a time, take that approach I'm sure you'll be fine, ships are a big project even small ones, I found that out with my first KGV, don't give up yet!

Hi all, so after deciding to go back and fit the hatches I've got one side done, the spacing isn't quite bang on but they look much better so I think I'll leave it at this, thanks for looking in🤞

2022-03-06_07-41-25

• Like 5

However I should take my own advice and not rush last thing Sunday evening coz I've been busy all weekend, they're in the wrong place, they should start nearer the stern, head slap emoji...

18 minutes ago, Rich75 said:

However I should take my own advice and not rush last thing Sunday evening coz I've been busy all weekend, they're in the wrong place, they should start nearer the stern, head slap emoji...

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh - No-one would have known :whistle:

....and they're straight :yes:

Rob

• Like 1

Hi all, after some deliberation I decided to remove the hatches and refit them, i think it would have bugged me otherwise :rage:so here they are now and i think that will do, i may even get around to glueing some plastic parts on next! Thanks for looking in at my slow progess

20220312_172026 20220312_172016

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Hi all, after some deliberation I decided to remove the hatches and refit them, i think it would have bugged me otherwise

Gidday, I think you made the right call. If an error is able to be corrected you probably would have regretted it if you didn't. 👍

looking forward to seeing some addition of plastic parts. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, not much to report at the moment I'm afraid, a couple of hectic weekends have stalled my progress somewhat but that's the way I suppose, anyway,  I'd like to ask for some advice as I have to admit I'm not an expert on ships particularly but i am trying to gain knowledge along the way. I've spent hours on the Web trying to research KGV but mostly I find myself looking at things I've read before and not what I wanted to know in the first place and the pictures I want to see are really not easy to find, I've found the IWM site has great pictures but it's not that easy to use? Can someone recommend any books for reference? I see a lot of people have used the kagero plans but they dont seem quite so easy to source now? One of the reasons I ask is because I'd like to add some more detail to the upper bridge structures, I know there was  all sorts of equipment there like range finding and binoculars and the like I just want to put the right things there so if anyone has some suggestions or advice they will be gladly welcome, thanks for looking in 

There's a newish book out on duke of York,  useful perhaps for generic appearance of the sort of things that would be on the decks but not specifically KGV, 

Odd as it sounds Pinterest is worth a look,  I find that it turns up loads of photos that would otherwise be obscure to find,  just need to make sure if it says kgv that it actually is kgv,

If its okay to link to another forum this thread might be of use, http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4715&hilit=KGV+fans

Hope that helps  

Edited by S-boat 55

On 3/1/2022 at 12:30 PM, Alpha Juliet said:

its a bit late, but for people that are new ish with PE the use of CA gel can help. I use ZAP CA gel for everything I do with PE and it works wonders. The fact of it being a gel means its much easier to dose the application with a needle/toothpick than it would be with the thin ca glues generally sold in modelstores. 

The work however looks clean and straight so so far all good😄

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2022 at 22:03, S-boat 55 said:

There's a newish book out on duke of York,  useful perhaps for generic appearance of the sort of things that would be on the decks but not specifically KGV, 

Odd as it sounds Pinterest is worth a look,  I find that it turns up loads of photos that would otherwise be obscure to find,  just need to make sure if it says kgv that it actually is kgv,

If its okay to link to another forum this thread might be of use, http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4715&hilit=KGV+fans

Hope that helps  

So thanks for the tips, after a bit of searching I think I found what I  needed!:thumbsup:

• Like 2