HMS King George V 1/350

Rich75

3 hours ago, Boydie said:

Good job on sanding the hull, I remember the seam line being pretty thick on mine too. Which year are you going to present her in?

Thank you it took a while but it's all good for me to learn from, I'll be going for the late 44 scheme my colourcoats turned up today so I can get into it now, I see yours is coming together nicely too 

17 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Thank you it took a while but it's all good for me to learn from, I'll be going for the late 44 scheme my colourcoats turned up today so I can get into it now, I see yours is coming together nicely too 

Cheers, I've been evicted from my man cave just now as it's been used home office for a few days. But I'll get back into it soon enough. Are you thinking about detailing the hull plating?

1 hour ago, Boydie said:

Cheers, I've been evicted from my man cave just now as it's been used home office for a few days. But I'll get back into it soon enough. Are you thinking about detailing the hull plating?

Yes I will give it a go, been looking at as many photos as possible to get an idea of how it looked theres a few in dry dock which are pretty good and of course there's yours for ref so I should🤞be ok. 

Hi all, the last couple of days have been spent  sanding the decks, dry fitting, sanding again and so on until I was happy they fitted nicely, managed to get them fairly flush in the end and then moved on to removing some of the mouldings that are to be replaced with PE. I found the anchor chains were quite tricky to remove and I left some nicks in the plastic were I didn't really want any but some dissolved putty seems to have done the trick there, so all good,

20220207_121741 20220207_143120 20220207_121756

20220207_143114

some before and after

20220208_124928

Got the holes for the pedestals marked out and drilled and set the nuts in as well

20220208_135611

And then I got the decks glued into place💪

20220208_143334

And finally to end my day I put one piece of PE on,as a final whistle if you like!

20220208_171422

Thanks for looking in

• Like 10

Hi all I spent a few hours today just getting some PE parts on, dont think it's too bad for a first attempt but my eyes ache:hypnotised: not much to show for the time spent but it does take a while so  the most important thing to me is that they're straight, my  plan is to get the deck done so I can paint the hull and all the fittings before fitting the wooden deck so there's a fair bit of work ahead,thanks for looking in

2022-02-09_05-18-09

• Like 2

Hi all, some time later and I have pretty much all the small hatches and doors on the deck fittings, I lost count at 70 something :o so I decided to start on something smaller!

20220211_160638

I wasn't to happy with the 3rd upright part from left so I took it off and did it again 

20220211_162506

Then I got it into place, I decided to do the outside one first to get the gap right for the next one that attaches to the turret (barbette?)

20220211_162632

Unfortunately I can see the hatches better in the photos than through my eyeballs! So now I see a few wonky hatches I'll have to correct when my eyes have had a rest, time consuming but worth it I hope, thanks for looking in 

Edited by Rich75
Typo
  • Like 4

Great job so far, you're bashing through it. Careful with those upstands though, you might find putting the wooden deck on quite hard and you might have to remove them again to get the deck in the right position. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Boydie said:

Great job so far, you're bashing through it. Careful with those upstands though, you might find putting the wooden deck on quite hard and you might have to remove them again to get the deck in the right position. 

Hmmm, maybe fit them after then you reckon?

I’ve only used one wooden deck, on my Graf Spee, and I would be very wary about sticking stuff to the deck, prior to fitting the wood. If you remove all the little bits of wood, on the deck, where hatches etc go, it’ll give you a better idea of what you can position the deck over and what needs to go on to the deck.

Especially those breakwaters, if you’ve not got the uprights in EXACTLY the right place, I think it could make fitting the deck nigh on impossible.

Jon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, I took the advice and removed the breakwater, it came away relatively unscathed! not much spare time today so tried adding some portholes, thanks for the advice, always appreciated thanks for looking 

20220212_181003

• Like 3

On 2/12/2022 at 4:05 AM, Rich75 said:

Unfortunately I can see the hatches better in the photos than through my eyeballs!

Gidday, I think many of us have found that close up photos point out little issues that plain eyeballs don't. I certainly have. All those PE hatch covers and scuttles would drive me bonkers but you're doing well with them. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Hi all, had a break from tiny PE today while I wait for some thinner ca to turn up, so I just spent some time going over the (several) sets of instructions before I start putting the superstructures together 

2022-02-13_01-01-17

Can't have enough diagrams can you!

20220213_143755

Then made a start on this

20220213_143806 20220213_152656

I removed the small hatches and doors and the plastic shield from the former boat deck, surprised there's no ladders in the pe sets for this assembly that I can see, unfortunately I have to go back to work this week after a covid enforced week off so progress will slow down now:undecided: thanks for looking in

• Like 4

Hi all, not much time spare this weekend but I have managed to get one side of the scuttles and porthole covers on, the scuttles especially are pretty fiddly aren't they, id be interested to hear how everyone else puts them on? at the moment I am unable to post any pictures as I can't sign in to Flickr so sorry for that hopefully  be sorted shortly, otherwise at least I'm making progress, thanks for looking in

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Hi all, not much time spare this weekend but I have managed to get one side of the scuttles and porthole covers on, the scuttles especially are pretty fiddly aren't they, id be interested to hear how everyone else puts them on? at the moment I am unable to post any pictures as I can't sign in to Flickr so sorry for that hopefully  be sorted shortly, otherwise at least I'm making progress, thanks for looking in

I've done it a few different ways. For the super glue I've used a slow drying one which allows me to move the PE to the right position. 

To apply that glue I either use an old scalpel or a small length of copper wire, to keep down on the excess.

To put the PE into position I sometimes use a china pencil, this quite handy if you're struggling to pick up the small PE with tweezers or whatever else. But this can leave a residue from the pencil on the PE which needs to be cleaned up. 

Recently though I've just been using a good quality pair of tweezers, maybe it's down to practice now but I can lift tiny bits of PE quite easily and not have it ping off and for it to be never found again.

Thanks guys I'll see how the other side goes now, tbh I think it looks pretty good to my eyes, then you take a photo and it looks like I put the ca on with a trowel! I know pictures highlight everything, just want it to look right, thanks again 

20220220_145024 20220220_145007 20220220_145045

I worked out how to post some pictures quite an achievement for a non techy, definitely looks like a fair bit of CA around the pe but it really doesn't look like it in reality? Still I'll try to improve on this with the other side, still learning......thanks for looking 

• Like 3