HMS King George V 1/350

Rich75

Hi all, so maybe slightly jumping the gun but I have it on good authority santa will be bringing the KGV I've always wanted! after building the old Heller 1/400 I know it won't be a quick build so I thought I may as well test myself and go and give the eduard PE a try and I would also like to fit a wooden deck as well. I've been looking to see what I can get and would like the pontos deck but I can't seem to find a UK supplier only US or AUS ?am I looking in the wrong place or is that usual for pontos ?there's also a couple of hunter decks on an auction site does anyone have experience of these? are they any good? Any thoughts or general recommendations on the project gladly received as I'm still new to thisĀ šŸ™ˆthanks

• Like 1

I've not used hunter but heard positive things about them,Ā 

Ā 

I've seen a few pontos ones on an Australian hobby shop, don't see any much here aside ebay,Ā 

Ā 

The oz one might be worth a look as the postage wasn't as much as you'd thinkĀ 

Thanks for the info guys,Ā  I looked into it today and quite a few were out of stockšŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø so I have ordered an artwox one...from oz,I hope it was the right choice? I'll let you know when it turns up in a month or so, thanks again for your thoughtsĀ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Yes, of sorts, probably more of an "oh dear I've messed that up log" but I'll share my attempts anyway

You'll be fine, eduards instructions are pretty good usually and their etch is I think a bit more forgiving than some other companiesĀ 

• 2 weeks later...

So, santa did indeed deliver the goods! My wooden deck is on its way from the merry old land of OZ and I have ordered three sets of PE from Eduard, planning on getting some Master gun barrels and then realising what task I've taken on,be prepared for requests for advice....just need to finish that Spitfire first....šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļøanyway hope you all had a great Christmas, thanks for looking in

2021-12-26_01-18-00

Ā I took the picture the wrong way sorry

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Boydie said:

Good luck with the build, I'm having fun with my King George just now. Have you thought about the paint scheme?Ā 

Hi I've been looking in at your build the hull plating is looking great I may have to try that myself, I'll be painting the late 44 scheme using colourcoats enamels, I used them on my heller kit as well and they were really good to work with

12 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Hi I've been looking in at your build the hull plating is looking great I may have to try that myself, I'll be painting the late 44 scheme using colourcoats enamels, I used them on my heller kit as well and they were really good to work with

Ā 

It's easy to do, you won't have a problem with it. I've got colourcoats too, my first time using them, so the weathering will be interesting for me as I'm used toĀ acrylics.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Boydie said:

Plenty to keep you busy anyway, I got one of those sets through the door too today.

Cool which one did you get? I have noticed there seems to be some scuttles included,number 55, at least I think they are, there's 50 of them which isn't enough to do both sides even if I only do the top row and cap off the lowers? The instructions say check references.......

2022-01-13_07-59-51

Ā 

@Rich75 the main set, the one with the extra details for the turrets, the kit turrets are a bit bare compared to the flyhawk ones at 1/700. To do the hull you'd need roughly 120 of them after a quick look at my hull. But I have to say that 55 looks like life ring buoys when I zoom into them?Ā 

Edited by Boydie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, so at long last my wooden deck arrived and I must say on first impressionsĀ  it looks as though it was worth the wait, this will be a first for me of course so I have nothing to compare it to but the level of detail and how thin it is have surprised me a bitšŸ¤Ælets hope I can get it on without too much grief šŸ¤žincluded are some instructions, a masking sheet, some anchor chain and a plank masking tool,all in all very happy with it and looking forward to making a start soon,thanks for looking in

20220128_165559 20220128_165627 20220128_165654 20220128_165737 20220128_165755

I have to admit I'm not too sure how I am meant to use this?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Boydie said:

It's for if you want to weather the wooden deck @Rich75, you can darken the planks individually. Nice set you've bought though.Ā 

Ignore that last one, yes I see thanksšŸ‘šŸ»I hope it fits ok because it looks great to me

Hi all, So I have made a start at last, maybe a slow one but still, just began by getting the thick seam off the of the hull, various grades of sanding blocks and some wet flatting later and it's not too bad and then drilled our the upper scuttles slightly to give them a bit of a sharper look, i will be blanking the lowers off when the covers arrive, I'll do my best to make a decentĀ  job of this so plenty of dry fitting with the deck sections next,Ā 

thanks for looking inĀ 

20220204_161907 20220204_161837 20220204_161801 20220204_161708 20220204_162236

I think the difference I just enough to notice, hopefully when I add the portholes and some colour and something dark to fill them it will have worked? We'll seeĀ 

• Like 3