1/144 3D printed engine and flap sets.

eng

Firstly, Admin's if this breaches any of the forum rules please remove it if necessary. 

I came across a company called LACI-Ltd last night whilst looking for RB211-535C's for the Zvezda 757. They produce 3D printed engines and flap sets for 1/144 airliners and I have to say they look spectacular, incredibly detailed and a great range of stuff. I've taken a punt and ordered some 737-3/4/500 flaps and engines, some 757 flaps for the new Zvezda kit and some CFM LEAP-1A for the Revell NEO A321 kit.

Anyone used this seller before? The photo's on the FB link below are superb.

https://www.facebook.com/LACI-LTD-113731840384319

Eng

• Like 2

Hello Eng,

Yes I have purchased these products and the transactions were very straight forward with prompt delivery.

The photos on the LACI site really do justice to the products and I would be very surprised if you are disappointed.

I bought the Viscount Dart engines and the 757 flaps and although I have yet to use them they do look like good fits, when offered up to the respective models.

One observation, very much not a criticism, the Dart engines looks delicate because of the scale fidelity.

I think that I might be doing more mini dioramas with these, rather than just planes on a table.

Vincent

• Like 1

I bought their PW JT8Ds for the Boeing 737 and I am currently adapting them to fit the Airfix kit instead of Eastern Express. 

They are nicely moulded but the open doors (which I'm intending to fix closed) are rather delicate.

Anyone who is buying needs to check carefully what they are getting. Some of the engines are sold singly so don't assume you'll get two unless the website says so. 

Here is the link to their UK website which is probably easier to use than Facebook.

Dave G 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good to know these are as good as they look!

I was thinking of a nice wee dio to depict my earlier career days on the 737's, with a DACO -400 on jacks with the flaps deployed and one section removed. Spoilers up and engine's exposed. Sounds good but plenty other unfinished projects to come first (he says hopefully!)

The 757 flaps will come in handy soon though!

I did check and re-check the content on offer too Dave, they do seem to have them reasonably well marked. Items have been shipped today so very excited to see these..... Not so sure Mrs S will be so pleased to see more modelling products rolling in 🤫

Eng

11 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Maybe something in the Landor scheme seeing as you have some excellent information about the blue?

If I can somehow lay my hands on a reliable source of information for the Pearl Grey to go with it then maybe :)

Some of these sets look quite tempting, particularly the flap sets. If whoever's behind LACI is reading this though, I'd really like to be able to model something like a 737 with flaps, spoilers and thrust reversers deployed, as if it's just touched down. If those sets existed I'd buy several without much hesitation!

22 hours ago, zebra said:

Some of these sets look quite tempting, particularly the flap sets. If whoever's behind LACI is reading this though, I'd really like to be able to model something like a 737 with flaps, spoilers and thrust reversers deployed, as if it's just touched down. If those sets existed I'd buy several without much hesitation!

The quality of the items is superb. They do a set of 737 flaps and slats in the '40 unit' position (full down), you could modify the wing further to have the spoilers raised and have its just at touchdown before the reversers deploy.

Eng

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all

First I would like to thank "eng" for his information.

I ordered a few sets and I will sure will buy more.

I have now received my order. Though I have not used them yet all I can say is they are sharp, well designed and well defined.

I bought B737-200 engines that I will use in an attempt to upgrade an Airfix B732 (I had tried the Authentic Airliners route but they are no longer available) - some B737-700 and B737-400 flaps and other items. 

Seeing this first delivery I will sure extend my purchase and will follow the line in the future.

Eric B.

• 4 weeks later...

Would love a set of flaps and LE devices for the 1/144 Boeing 727 please ? 

******** My prayers have been answered******** March 02nd  I've ordered a set of Boeing 727-100/200 Wing flaps with LE devices for the Airfix kit.  Laci also do a set for the Minicraft 1/144th Boeing 727. Delivery due in 2 days . Cost  £16 plus £6 postage.  Thought of scratch building but very complex flap tracking, so really looking forward to receiving this.  

Edited by T-21

Just to add my pennyworth; I am using the 737 set of flaps and the CFM-56 engines on the Sky line 737-400, but making it as a cargo conversion.  I'm very impressed with the printing - small and easily removable supports, smooth texture and easily sanded.  They also fit well, although the instructions need careful scrutiny.  I wish my 3d printing skills were that good.

Regards

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Zvezda showed the way with their A320 /321 kits which could be built in "dirty" configuration

The "dirty" configuration can be a can of worms as to what do include. If you include the flaps for the main wings, what about the tail and stabilisers? What about leading edge devices? What about reverse thrusters for the engines? Does that mean producing 2 sets of engines? What about landing gear? Does it need 2 or 3 sets or do you make 1 set that can be positioned accordingly? Next thing you know is that you have a 400 piece model with a price tag that makes Eastern Express prices seem reasonable. 

Plus there will always be someone who will complain that there are too many parts (and all that wasted plastic polluting the planet!) and that you didn't include wings that are flexed for that authentic "in flight" look but that you did every other option. 

Yes,  I am a cynical skeptic. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 8:04 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

Of course, there were the inevitable whines about increasing "complexity"  of the kits etc but, those complaining could simply build the flaps etc in retracted configuration so, I didn't see the problem.

John (currently building the Airfix Trident with things hanging off wings! 😊

I take exception to being accused of "whining" because I voiced my dislike of the separate flaps and slats in certain Zvezda kits. That dislike was based on actual experience of trying to build a model (an Il-62) with the flaps and slats retracted. It certainly wasn't a case of "simply" building anything and if you don't see the problem you probably haven't tried to do it yourself. My attempt didn't go well and I ended up binning the kit, an expensive and dispiriting experience. I don't think it's a coincidence that Zvezda abandoned the "ultimate kit" concept for their more recent airliners particularly the Boeing 737s and 757s.

If you want to build your models with extended flaps etc, good luck to you. I admire the skills involved - Brad Shinn over on Airliner Cafe is an inspiration to any modeller. However please don't insult those of us who feel differently. We all have our own views and inevitably we aren't going to agree about everything all the time but we normally manage to treat each other's opinions with respect even when we disagree with them.

Dave G

• Like 3