DH Comet, BEA Red Square. 1/144 Airfix with 26Decals

DH Comet, BEA Red Square.

1/144 Airfix with 26Decals

c5.jpg

After much Chopping around an Amodel Comet last year I thought I'd have another go at the old Airfix kit, I used the most recent boxing which has the cabin windows filled in. First released in 1961, it is very simple with only 6 parts to make the basic airframe (2 fuselage halves, upper and lower full span wings, and 2 tailplanes). The wheels are far too skinny for my liking, so I replaced the mains with the spare ones in the Amodel kit, and the nose wheels are Viscount main wheels from S&M kit. 

We really do need an up to date injection moulded Comet in 1/144 scale, but this one still scrubs up well considering it's age.

c2.jpg

(oops, just noticed I've knocked the aerial wire loose while taking the photos).

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c1.jpg

c6.jpg

With my much modified Amodel Comet C.4

c7.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 40
  • Thanks 2

The Airfix variant is the 4B. Both models are beautiful and the Comet is quite possibly my favorite early jet airliner. You just can't beat it for shear elegance.

Edited by SAT69
Error in wording
  • Like 1

Lovely as always John. Classic aircraft in a classic livery, what's not to like?

I binned my own attempt to make something of the AModel kit a few months ago and it's good to be reminded of what a fine model the Airfix kit is. You do have to be prepared to live with the flat central belly section but I hated the AModel kit so much that I'm happy to tolerate a bit of inaccuracy not seen in normal viewing and retain my sanity!

9 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Nice Comet duo! What's particularly tough about Amodel kit?

I don't want to pre-empt John's reply but the fuselage is very significantly short, the shape of the cockpit and nose is well off and the undercarriage is next to impossible to assemble. 

Dave G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments chaps, much appreciated.

On 12/12/2021 at 15:07, Dennis_C said:

Nice Comet duo! What's particularly tough about Amodel kit?

Skodadriver covered it pretty well in his reply above. It is undersized in all dimensions and the nose shape looks a bit off,  I took the trouble to try and correct mine with fuselage plugs and wing extensions. The trouble is that I now think the fuselage looks too skinny, and perhaps needs fattening. All in more trouble than it is worth. Next time I'd just accept that it is a little underscale, and build it straight from the box. Or use an Airfix one!

(This is the Amodel kit that became the RAF C4 above, not the BEA Airfix kit)

c26.jpg

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Glorious! Well done for making those intakes look believable which I seem to remember isn't easy. It makes a lovely pair with the AModel kit which you put so much work into.

Yes don't we just need new Comet kits? Occasionally I peek in the box of my Mach 2 1/72 offering and have to run away and have a stiff drink afterwards. Every year I suggest it (new Comets, not alcoholism) to Airfix at Telford, to no avail.