Spitfire PR.19 spinner colour

Jon Bryon

Thanks once again Antti. I'm almost at the end of making my PR.19, and any errors are pretty much locked in, but I think you have such knowledge on the subject you should consider a post where all the photographs we know of of PR.19s from 81 Sqn could be consolidated in chronological order tracking all the various changes. If you had the time and inclination, that would be pretty useful!

Jon

• Like 1

You are most welcome Jon🙂

And thank you for the compliment. I've studied those five Spitfires for over 20 years and every once and awhile something new comes into light. There are still "mysteries" like PS852 and PS854 painted in purple, was the repaint of those five just adding MSG or was it a complete repaint or why the Seletar Spitfires had different sized roundels?

My earlier thread "Spy Spitfires over China" (you've seen it) here on BM was a humble effort to create a timeline of 81 Squadron Spitfires. Hopefully new photos and details pop up.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Lovely work Jon! Excellent paintwork and the decals look great.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti. In the end the only decals from Xtradecals are the roundels and squadron crests. The tail flashes are from Airfix and the serials are masked and sprayed. I tried to make them a bit misaligned, but they're still neater than the photo! Here's the other side:

SpitfirePR19_45.jpg

Jon

• Like 2