Here some photos of my rendition of the 1/72 scale ESCI AB 205 Huey in UNTAG colours.

UNTAG was the name given to a UN group that oversaw the implementation of UN Resolution 435; the transition of the then South West Africa to the independent country of Namibia. Thus also being the last African colony to gain independence in 1990. UNTAG consisted of various contingents from all over the world, amongst others Germany, Australia, Spain, Italy to name a few. Italy’s contribution to the effort was amongst others a couple of Hueys.

They were initially intended for use in logistical purposes, but were pressed into service much more urgently in medi-vac and similar mopping up operations, as the peace / independence process go off to a shaky start. With the peace deal between South Africa, Cuba, and SWAPO signed and sealed, and the South African forces being disarmed and retreated as per agreement, the so called liberation fighters from SWAPO thought it would be a good idea launch a full invasion attempt on day one of the transition period when the UN took over the administration of South West Africa. In the following clashes with the hastily re-armed South African forces, the SWAPO fighters suffered heavy losses. The UN had its hands full tending to the mess, with the Hueys being used to ferry casualties. When said casualties were not too severe, the liberation fighters were unceremoniously dumped back at their bases in Angola where they were supposed to be according to the peace agreement. The “incident” became known as the “April fools party”, as the first day of the transition was 1st April 1989.

Anyway, these Italian Hueys were the first Hueys that I ever saw, never mind heard! Hence the choice of this particular scheme.

The model is basically built straight from the box. Albeit being the second time, as I restored this model. I added minor details here and there, such as the ventilation louvres on the engine cowling and the antennas specific to this version.

The only problems I had with the kit were the clear parts. Never mind the glue marks from the previous build, they were just too small to really fit. I guess that during the molding process the dwell time or pressure or a combination of such was wrong so that the parts shrank post injection. The side windows I could glue in using gelled cyanoacrylate glue to fill the gaps. However, the windshield was too far out. Therefore, I used the original to create a male former for a vacu-formed replacement.

The decals are home printed – hands down the easiest print yet, as they all are black or red on a white background. So no juggling for color compensation etc. The red cross in the window is a print out on paper (as the original appears to be) held in place with some future.

I kept the weathering relatively low, as they were delivered all clean. Just added a hint of exhaust staining on the tail boom, gave the walkway on top of the fuselage, rotor blades, and panel lines a wash of dirty white. The dirty white weathering stemming from the white dust that is so characteristic of Ovamboland, where the April Fools Party operations took place.

51741013256_7d4b4445c5_b.jpg

51741654564_e6178426db_b.jpg

51741899845_613e32ae0c_b.jpg

51740190557_c82f5662bd_b.jpg

51741899730_2917a83e30_b.jpg

51740190487_e907a5142d_b.jpg

51741013406_bc9e9a9760_b.jpg

51741248383_cddde1800b_b.jpg

51740190347_3891b9101e_b.jpg

51741013281_5d2895772f_b.jpg

51741654174_957e4637c6_b.jpg

R

Edited by Rizon
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2021 at 16:01, Andy Dyck said:

Looks very nice ! My favorite chopper!  Have to start my 1/48😃 is that 1/72 kit still available?

Andy 

Italeri released the kit after Esci and it is still reasonably available, in Europe anyway. Do stay away from the 1/72 Hasegawa/ Revell UH-1 though: that one is horrible.

Edited by GeejeeZ