Tamiya 1/48 Aichi M6A1 Seiran

Never built a floatplane before, and think I built a Zero once upon a time in the dim, dark age known as the 1990's so been wanting to build something Japanese from WW2 for a few months now, so got this for a good price recently. Score! 

Sexy sprue shots ahead! 

20211211_195714

Box art in the usual Tamiya style. These planes were supposed to launch from those redonkulous I-400 class subs (3 per sub) and go off and bomb the Panama Canal I believe, but the surrender happened before they went ahead with the plan. Crazy. 

20211211_200000

2 sprues for the wings and fuselage. Looks pretty detailed OOB

20211211_195935

Floats and launch dolly sprues. Comes with a metal weight in the box to include in either float. It's like a second kit almost! This is going to be interesting to make it look good. Clear parts look good, but canopy comes as 1 piece so no displaying it open unless you have the testicular fortitude (which I lack) to cut it apart or maybe get an aftermarket one? Eh. I'm fine with it closed, masking it is going to be fun though...

20211211_200012

Decals look okay, but their made by the same crowd who made my D.520 decals so I'm a bit skeptical on their quality. This might be a razor blade in the candy floss of life. 

Need to check up on the exterior paints and see what I need to get. Some pics I've seen of the only plane around seem to show a dark green cockpit colour, so it looks like Mitsubishi Interior Green from Mr Color (C126) is a good choice? Answers here please. 

And time to try chipping fluid or use good old abrasion on the paintjob to show some heavy wear the IJN/IJA craft seem to be known for in the later years of the war. Have some chipping fluid (Vallejo), but airbrushing it once or twice hasn't filled me with good feelings... 

Anyway, updates to follow! 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Spellingz
  • Like 6

So, started getting some assembly done. Tamiya's usual shake and bake at work as expected. 

20211212_220728

The bonus mini kit in the form of a launch dolly. Some mold lines but goes together quite quickly. 

20211212_221225

1 float has a minor step behind the attachment boom, but I'm assuming I was responsible for that (had the weight in it). The other one was a great fit. 

Cockpit going together, some pin marks on the sidewalls that need TLC and time to start slapping paint on. Instructions call for XF-22 RLM Grey, but that seems to be way off. Aviation of Japan shows 3 different dark greens were used on the preserved example, so I'm going with C126 Mitsubishi Cockpit Green to simplify my life. 

• Like 3

Gave chipping fluid a bash. Decided to go for FS 34092 (VMA 71.124) in the cockpit, looked damn close to the paint chips I saw on AoJ. Need some stiff bristle brushes/wire brush thingies for next time. Still need to check up on the one seat, can't decide if it had a cushion on the back rest or it's machined metal? 

20211219_214121

Launch dolly has main colours blocked in, XF-9 Hull Red frame, VMA Beige 71.074 for wood and VMA 71.315 Tire Black for the rubber bits. Going to assault it with oils soon to try give it a wooden appearance...

20211219_214210

• Like 3

Started futzing with the launch dolly. Nothing complicated, plain old Van Dyke Brown oil paint. 

20211223_221036

Got the cockpit done and buttoned up. The decals are not great however, as I suspected. So I've gone ahead and ordered a canopy and marking mask set that should get here end Jan. Which is fine, got a GB or two starting in Jan so can get things done slowly in Feb. 

20211223_221203

Decals aside, this kit is actually pretty good all round. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Where things stand after crimbo and new years merriment. All major elements assembled ready for painting, excluding the canopy and windshield. Waiting for masking set month end to do that particular tedious chore. Going to set things aside until I get the masking set and crack on, plus gives me time to mull over how I'm going to approach the paint wearing I want to do. 

20220102_202555

• Like 2