Frankenspit - The Return

Iā€™ve been dreading this bit.

Ā 

Masking the canopy in 1/72 scale. I had looked at the instructions on the KP kit and thought ā€œok then, letā€™s practice with the professionally produced maskingā€. Tweezers, pins and Anglo Saxon all came in useful. Although Iā€™m making the Eduard IX with the cockpit hatch open, I used the closed version as a temporary masking plug. Held in place with PVA, itā€™s an excellent fit by the way.

Ā 

I decided not to put the lid on, so the cockpit is blanked off with kabuki tape.

Ā 

At least 30 minutes (it seemed longer) and I had thisā€¦ā€¦.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Iā€™ve even done the teeny tiny slivers for the top of the canopy.

Ā 

Armed with the knowledge of what I was up to, I tried mocking up something similar for Franky. Easy bit first, I used the edging for the canopy that I didnā€™t use on the IX and then filled in the rest, again with kabuki tape. The rear transparency was no hassle.

Ā 

But then there was the windscreen. Yike!

Ā 

After several false starts, I came up with this:

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

and no, the eyebrow transparency were left off, as I am not that much of a masochist. Obviously not as neat as the ā€˜properā€™ masks, itā€™s not too bad. My intention is that following painting, I can neaten it up a bit with the tip of a cocktail stick (maybe).

Ā 

This is where I am up to now.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

I havenā€™t even touched the Vc yet. My šŸ‘€ can only take so much macro work these days (thinks, I have a Blenheim I in the wings, Iā€™ll deffo get a professional mask set for that beastie).

Ā 

Rattlecan of primer next šŸ‘

Ā 

Thanks for looking.

Ā 

Trevor the half-blind

Ā 

ps I have now concluded that canopy masking is tedium incarnate.

• Like 6

On 7/2/2022 at 6:36 PM, Max Headroom said:

My name is Trevor and I have a Spitfire problemā€¦ā€¦..šŸ™ƒ

Ā 

Trevor

This is how it sort of started for me Trevor. My name is Richard and, finished, in production (7 currently) or in the stash, I would seem to have an even worse 1:72 Spitfire problem........The resulting spares box and your thread have got me thinking of ways to add even more. Eduard, AZ and Sword are the gifts that keep on giving..........šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Seafang F.31Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  AZ
Seafang F.32Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  AZ
Seafire Mk.IbĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  KPM (Vokes)
Seafire Mk.IIcĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Sword
Seafire L.Mk.IIIĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā Sword (Clipped)
Seafire L.Mk.IIIĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā Sword
Seafire Mk.XVĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Sword
Seafire Mk.XVĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Sword
Seafire Mk.XVIIĀ  Ā  Ā  Sword
Seafire F.45Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Special Hobby
Seafire F.46Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  CMR
Seafire FR.47Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Special Hobby
Spiteful F.XIVĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  AZ
Spiteful F.XVĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā AZ (Converted Seafang)
Spiteful F.XVIĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Pegasus
Spitfire Type 224Ā  Ā  Rareplanes
Spitfire Type 300Ā  Ā  CMR (Zinc Chromate)
Spitfire Type 300Ā  Ā  CMR (Light Blue)
Spitfire Mk.IĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Airfix (2 Blade)
Spitfire Mk.IĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Airfix (2 Blade)
Spitfire Mk.IaĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Airfix
Spitfire PR.Mk.IgĀ  Ā  Ā Airfix (Falcon Canopy)
Spitfire Mk.IIaĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Airfix
Spitfire PR.Mk.IVĀ  Ā  Italeri (Vokes, Mk.VI Conversion)
Spitfire PR.Mk.IVĀ  Ā  Sword
Spitfire LF.Mk.VbĀ  Ā  AZ (Clipped)
Spitfire Mk.VbĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  AZ (Night)
Spitfire Mk.VbĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Brengun (DB605)
Spitfire Mk.VbĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Brengun (Vokes, Float)
Spitfire Mk.VcĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Airfix (Vokes)
Spitfire HF.Mk.VIĀ  Ā  Ā Italeri (Ext)
Spitfire HF.Mk.VIIĀ  Ā  AZ (Ext)
Spitfire Mk.VIIIĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Eduard
Spitfire HF.Mk.VIIIĀ  Ā Eduard (Ext)
Spitfire Mk.IXbĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Brengun (Float)
Spitfire Mk.IXcĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Eduard (Med Blue)
Spitfire Mk.IXcĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā AZ
Spitfire FR.Mk.IXcĀ  Ā  AZ
Spitfire Mk.IXeĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Eduard
Spitfire TR.9Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā AZ
Spitfire PR.Mk.XĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā KPM
Spitfire PR.Mk.XIĀ  Ā  Ā  KPM
Spitfire Mk. XIIĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Xtrakit
Spitfire Mk.XIIĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  CMR (Fixed Tailwheel)
Spitfire Mk.XIVeĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā AZ
Spitfire FR.Mk.XIVeĀ  Sword (Clipped, Bubble)
Spitfire LF.Mk.XVIeĀ  Sword (Clipped)
Spitfire LF.Mk.XVIeĀ  Eduard (Clipped, Bubble)
Spitfire LF.Mk.XVIeĀ  Eduard (Bubble)
Spitfire FR.Mk.18Ā  Ā  Ā Fujimi (XIVe Conversion)
Spitfire PR.Mk.XIXĀ  Ā Airfix
Spitfire PR.19Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Airfix
Spitfire F.Mk.XXIĀ  Ā  Ā Eduard
Spitfire F.Mk.21Ā  Ā  Ā  AZ (Contraprop)
Spitfire F.22Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Xtrakit
Spitfire F.22Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Airfix
Spitfire F.24Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Xtrakit
Spitfire F.24Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Xtrakit

• Like 2

Well, I waved the Halfords primer over Frankie and friend and came up with this

Ā 

Frankie

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

and friend

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

family photo

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Generally ok. Some joins and trenches to attend to, but otherwise Iā€™m pleased. Frankie looks less of a ā€˜bitzaā€™ now too šŸ˜

Ā 

In particular I need to revisit the cowling join line across the top of the nose. Obviously, my scribing wasnā€™t deep enough. Some trenches in the wing top havenā€™t quite disappeared so will need more filler.

Ā 

Onwards and upwards!

Ā 

Trevor

Ā 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Itā€™s been a whileā€¦ā€¦.

Ā 

I found some mojo in the back of the cupboard and got back in the saddle. The last time was left with Frankie and the Eduard IX in primer and the Vc a little way behind

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

You will see that the underside of the IX now has its underside in MSG, courtesy of a rattlecan. There are some imperfections that would be seen to with a well-worn piece of wet and dry.

Ā 

Turning to Frankie first, the underside would need an undercoat of white. Iā€™m sure I had a rattlecan of the stuff but my searches were fruitless. Never mind, I resorted to Hakata anti flash white applied with a flat brush.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Not bad. I let it dry for an hour or so and then gave it a light rub. Now I do have a brand new can of Revell Yellow (gelb) and then gave it a waft

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

That certainly is yellow! It looks better in the flesh though , I promise.

Ā 

Looking at the area around the windscreenā€¦.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Hmmā€¦..

Ā 

thatā€™s the Clearfix. The wet and dry is doing more heavy lifting at the moment. There is also a bit of a texture to the surface. Yes, another rub down awaits!

Ā 

Next for attention is the IX. Iā€™ll be back shortly.

Ā 

Trevor

• Like 6

I then turned my attentions to the Eduard IX. Checking some of the paintworkā€¦ā€¦.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Once again a fewĀ wipes with wet and dry would sort those areas out. Just noticed the join at the back of the cowling. I think Iā€™ll keep that, as photos show that in wartime, joins werenā€™t always perfect.

Ā 

Finally, the Vc. Considering it was only bought for the spare canopy for the III, Iā€™m really rather pleased with it.Ā 
Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Wing roots rubbed down with little fuss.Ā 
Ā 

A couple of things to point out. Firstly, the areas where the transparencies will go have had a swipe of black. Revell Clearfix will once again be used to bed the glazing. No Iā€™m not going to use the out of scale open canopy that comes with the kit, as I have an Italeri spare for that. I can then mask and spray an undercoat. Still thinking of a Seafire IIc for that - letā€™s see.

Ā 

Now is it me, or do those cannon bulges have the same alleged problem as the soon-to-be released 1/24 Airfix IX? They look a tad square along the sides. I have a pair of Pavla spares from the radiator/prop set and will do a side by side comparison. If need be, some subtle reshaping will take place, as I donā€™t intend to surgically remove them and pop in the Pavla ones.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Trailing edges are particularly nice. Yes I know about that wingtip join on the starboard side - Iā€™ll tackle that.

Ā 

The odd outer gun plugs were added. Maybe these should be added before the wing halves are joined, but slight reaming out of the half-hole and chopping about half the length off, allowed a snug fit.

Ā 

Phew, thatā€™s it for now.

Ā 

I hope there wonā€™t be a long gap for the next instalment šŸ¤£

Ā 

Trevor

• Like 4

Great progress Trevor!

Ā 

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I found some mojo in the back of the cupboard

Ā 

Something Hannants ought to stock!

Ā 

Glad you felt inspired again, sometimes it's hard to find the enthusiasm. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Great progress Trevor!

Ā 

Ā 

Something Hannants ought to stock!

Ā 

Glad you felt inspired again, sometimes it's hard to find the enthusiasm. Keep up the good work.

I posted some underside pix of the yellow undersides somewhere else and letā€™s say the reaction was ā€œha ha did the rattlecan explode itā€™s so thick!ā€ Not exactly encouraging.

Ā 

This what the yellow looks like once driedā€¦ā€¦.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Better.

Ā 

You sometimes wonder why you bother. Britmodeller however, is always a positive experience.

Ā 

Trevor

• Like 2

On 8/28/2022 at 10:22 PM, Whistlekiller said:

Spitfire F.22Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Airfix
Spitfire F.24Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Xtrakit
Spitfire F.24Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Xtrakit

The Airfix F.22 is vastly superior and far more accurate than the Xtrakit.

If one wanted to do a range of the later 22/24 series or any low backed Griffon engined variant,

the Airfix F.22 would be the starting point of choice.

Edited by Dave Wilko
  • Like 2

Iā€™m on a roll here šŸ‘

Ā 

Lots of masking

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Following this, I gave a coat of Humbrol Dark Earth

Ā 

This šŸ”½ took over an hour

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Close enough for government work methinks. At present it has a coat of Tamiya Dark Green drying. For obvious reasons, Iā€™ve not shown you that! I will do a ā€˜Grand Unpeelingā€™ later.

Ā 

Onto the Vc briefly. I mentioned above that was there something wrong with the snap of the upper blister? Here it is with the Pavla alternative. What do you think?

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

More soonā€¦ā€¦

Ā 

Trevor

Ā 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Here it is with the Pavla alternative. What do you think?

They look pretty similar. There are small differences, and I can't see from your photo if there is a height difference. The Pavla blister appears to be more sharply defined, but you would need to study photos to say which is correct. A post on the 'All Spitfire questions here' thread would probably generate helpful responses. Personally I think that the kit blister is perfectly adequate (assuming that it is the right shape and size) and trying to replace it with the Pavla bits will be lots of work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JohnsonĀ thereā€™s not much to it, but I think there are subtle differences, but not enough to warrant any action from me.

Ā 

Now then, The Great Reveal. This is it with an all-over coat of Dark Green

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

and after

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

overall, Iā€™m quite pleased. The inevitable touching up will be needed. Also, there is a ridge between the colours. A good rub down will be needed, followed up with a polishing off with ever finer grades of polishing pads.

Ā 

Just for info, the Dark Earth is Hu30 and looks much darker in real life than is shown above.

Ā 

And thatā€™s probably it until next weekend. Thanks for looking.

Ā 

Trevor

• Like 3

On 10/23/2022 at 11:26 AM, Dave Wilko said:

The Airfix F.22 is vastly superior and far more accurate than the Xtrakit.

If one wanted to do a range of the later 22/24 series or any low backed Griffon engined variant,

the Airfix F.22 would be the starting point of choice.

Dave, you're not wrong there! I've since replaced the XtraKit versions in my stash with the Airfix ones.Ā šŸ‘

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whistlekiller said:

Dave, you're not wrong there! I've since replaced the XtraKit versions in my stash with the Airfix ones.Ā šŸ‘

A distant relation of one's wife is a prolific Spitfire modeller,IIRC,he used a 1/72 F.22 fuselage mated to an original elliptical wing and tailplanes

to produce a very acceptable FR.18(or XVIII if one wishes).

• Like 1

A bit of pottering this afternoon.

Ā 

Frankie is now on the last lap to completion, so hopefully by close of business tomorrow (ha ha!) itā€™ll be in the Ready For Inspection thread. Well maybe next weekend?ā€™

Ā 

Some touching up of the scheme is in order, but what the heck, I decided to put the wheels on.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

I drilled the hole in the rear wheel well to accept the spare Eduard MK.VIII unit, but still needed to chop some off, so that it was at the right length/angle. I think I got away with it.

Ā 

Radiator flaps from the Pavla set and the tail wheel doors (Eduard) were then painted yellow, ready for application at the end.

Ā 

Also in the picture you may notice the exhausts have also had a swipe with a mixture of Citadel Tin Bitz and Chainmail Silver. Not bad, but I may yet change that.

Ā 

After the touch-ups are done, I will give it a polish with the ermā€¦ polishing pads, in readiness for the stickies.

Ā 

Talking of which, I need a serial for it. Thatā€™s N3297. Donā€™t know about you, but I hate assembling serials in 1/72 scale from individual numbers. Tedious, long-winded and rarely 100% lined up - well for me anyway. I need a cheat.

Ā 

Off to the spares box.

Ā 

Lo and behold, I have two versions of markings for P/O Hardyā€™s N3277 AZ*H. One is from the classic Airfix MK.I of the 80ā€™s and the other is the more refined version supplied by Eagles Cal. The latter sheet is the one for me. Ā It has another serial with Ā ā€˜9ā€™ (well actually a ā€˜6ā€™!) in the same font/size. The plan therefore is to apply N3277 as a whole and either paint over, or gently rub off the first ā€˜7ā€™ with the tipĀ of a cocktail stick and then place ā€˜9ā€™ in the space.

Ā 

SortedšŸ‘
Ā 

Turning to Frankieā€™s mates, the Eduard IX now had its uppers sprayed with Tamiya Medium Sea Grey, or Sea Grey (Medium) if youā€™re a pedant. Must find that blutack before applying the Dark Greenā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.šŸ¤”

Ā 

The Airfix Vc needs prep for its undercoat. As I am modelling it with an open cockpit, the void will need masking. For this, I will use the open canopy option supplied with the kit as a convenient plug. Less masking required! Iā€™ve mentioned above that the open canopy option looked rather ā€˜offā€™. In fact, looking at the pre release CAD renders, I had a sharp intake of breath and was mentally checking the spares box. In the flesh here is the Airfix canopy, next to a spare one from Italeri. Can you tell which one Iā€™ll be using when completing the build?

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Donā€™t get me started on the prop and spinnerā€¦ā€¦..šŸ¤Ø

Ā 

Onwards and sidewaysĀ 

Ā 

Trevor the slightly optimisticĀ 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2022 at 5:15 PM, Dave Wilko said:

A distant relation of one's wife is a prolific Spitfire modeller,IIRC,he used a 1/72 F.22 fuselage mated to an original elliptical wing and tailplanes

to produce a very acceptable FR.18(or XVIII if one wishes).

I made a 1:72 FR.18 from a Fujimi XIVe. A bit of filling of the outer redundant wing gun access panels does the job for me although I daresay there are other bits and pieces that more fastidious builders would choose to alter. Looks OK.Ā šŸ‘

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Whistlekiller said:

I made a 1:72 FR.18 from a Fujimi XIVe. A bit of filling of the outer redundant wing gun access panels does the job for me although I daresay there are other bits and pieces that more fastidious builders would choose to alter. Looks OK.Ā šŸ‘

If one remembers,it was the Airfix Spit 22 Griffon fuselage,possibly Airfix or Academy wing and tailplanes(Academy rings a bell),one is sure

he modified the Airfix fin to suit and fitted an "aftermarket" resin rudder.

One is not sure about the radiators or undercarriage,probably Airfix again suitably modified,it was all over silver with red prop spinner,so

possibly SM845(one knows that one is all over silver with a red spinner).

The cockpit hood was open and the cockpit fully detailed(all his Spitfire cockpits are so done and the hood/door always open).

It is certainly an impressive model(though all his Spitfires/Seafires are)for a 1/72 scale Spitfire.

Ā 

On 29/10/2022 at 17:37, Max Headroom said:

Frankie is now on the last lap to completion, so hopefully by close of business tomorrow (ha ha!) itā€™ll be in the Ready For Inspection thread. Well maybe next weekend?ā€™

I do say some stupid things donā€™t I!

Ā 

I decided now is the time to give Frankie his identity, albeit a wrong one for the time being. I was originally going to polish the camo up to a sheen, but I found a bottle of Humbrol Glosscote and gave it a once over.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

My main source of markings came from an Eagles Cal sheet I had in the spares box.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

As mentioned above, I would use the N3277 serial from the sheet and then surgically transplant a 9 or a 6 from the same sheet.

I also have back ups.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

If I remember correctly, the wing walkway markings on the Eagles Cal sheet were a bad fit on the last Airfix Spitfire I did, so I may resort to that spare Airfix sheet.

Ā 

So it beginsā€¦.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Ā I also have new bottles of Micro Sol and Micro Set to assist in bedding down. The careful observer will notice at this point there is an errant hair where the roundel will go.

Ā 

Did I spot it in time?

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Did I heck. Itā€™s there laughing at me, half buried under the yellow ring.

Ā 

Curses and naughty words šŸ¤¬

Ā 

I must say though, the adjustable modelĀ clamp I bought for a fiver in Aldi a few years ago was a boon, allowing two free hands to place the transfers (they are not and never will be ā€˜d*c*ls).

Ā 

Side note, is it just me, but I always seem to have problems with the leading edge for the tail stripe. Lashings of Micro Sol and Set to see if I get away with it this time.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks for looking.

Ā 

Trevor

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

half buried under the yellow ring

It will be a lot less evident after a coat of matt.

Ā 

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

they are not and never will be ā€˜d*c*ls

Ahh! An old school modeller!

Ā 

Looking good Trevor.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have this mad idea. I might actually finish Frankie in this calendar year and update my 2022 finished builds photo which currently consists ofĀ 

Ā 

Tumbleweed

Ā 

After all, ā€˜thereā€™s not much to doā€™.

Ā 

So for this session I concentrated on the balance of the markings.Ā 
Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Not without its tribulations though. I had to write off the first red centre on the fuselage roundel, as it refused to come out of my dish of hot water

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Curses and naughty words.

Ā 

I have also applied the underwing markings but forgot to take a photo. Sorry!

Ā 

The walkways didnā€™t come from the Eagles Cal sheet as these were broken down into several parts. However, I had the Vc sheet from the old Airfix kit with the laughably fat wings and awful canopy. Fragile springs to mind. Placing them wasnā€™t the problem, it was the wicking of excess moisture and trying to bed them down with Micro Sol and Micro Set. I eventually got them as good as was possible and I have now set it aside to dry.

Ā 

Tasks left:

ā€¢ make prop

ā€¢ attach tail wheel doors

ā€¢ probe thingy under port wing tip

ā€¢ matt varnish

Ā 

Might just do it in timeā€¦ā€¦..

Ā 

Trevor

Ā 

ps this is my first modelling session since Allieā€™s passing šŸ„ŗ Seems odd not having to gently shoo her away from the brushes and sprues every five minutesĀ 

Ā 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I do say stupid things donā€™t I. Here I am latish April and itā€™s the first modelling Iā€™ve done all year. Ho hum.

Ā 

So where was I then?

Ā 

Frankie is nearing the end of the build so another push gets it close to finishing.

Ā 

First off was to correct the serial from N3277 to N3297. A new blade and a couple of scores let me gently pick off the extraneous ā€˜7ā€™, thus

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

As an aside I just noticed that the tail flash isnā€™t supposed to be full length

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Curses and naughty words. Iā€™ll have a rifle through the spares box laterā€¦..

Ā 

Cutting out and placing a replacement ā€˜9ā€™ was easy

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

And now on to the propery.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Four blobs of cyano and I got this

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

Fit is a bit vague and one prop isnā€™t at the same pitch as the others, but donā€™t tell anyone. This will now be painted with the spinner in Sky.

Ā 

Turning my attention underneath, Ā I added the radiator flaps. Again a bit of MK.I eyeballing.

Ā 

Frankenspit

I noticed that the underwing roundels hadnā€™t bedded down correctly and even after all these months, Micro Sol came to the rescue. I did have to perforate one or two areas, but as you can see above, the crinkling has already started.

Ā 

Finally for now, the tailwheel doors from the Eduard IX kit provided the necessary parts.

Ā Short burst but more later šŸ‘

Ā 

Trevor

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

So where have I been? In reality, I suffered a total mojo nogo. It happens. I have this thread and the 1/32 Mosquito ā€˜on the goā€™ and so should concentrate on them. I also have the Vickers Nimrod and Tamiya Beaufighter too, albeit further back in the queue. Yes Iā€™ll get round to them too (eventually). Iā€™m in awe at those on this forum that have an unshakable determination to get things done and produce a quality end product too. It also seems odd not being constantly interrupted by my furry helper

Ā 

Blep

RIP Alley

Ā 

Ho hum.

Ā 

In order to coax some enthusiasm back I pulled out Frankie to get over the line.

Ā 

One of the tail wheel doors has gone AWOL. More curses and naughty words.

Ā 

I turned my attention then to the Eduard IX. Ease myself back into this pastime. My intended victim is this optionĀ 

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

and because of reasons, itā€™ll have the pointy tail option. I chose this scheme because Frankenspit I also ended up in 312 Sqn markings too.

Ā 

28405594009_b062a04868_b.jpg

Ā 

Itā€™ll be nice to have them side by side.

Ā 

No rattle canĀ this time, so as per those old FROG instruction sheets, I marked out the camo lines with a pencil.

Ā 

Frankenspit

Ā 

and laid down the acrylic Hu163

Ā 

Frankenspit

Not bad (as long as you donā€™t zoom inā€¦). Got me some polishing sticks, so will rub down some of the more egregious brush strokes. Note to self to get more flat brushes as Iā€™m sure Iā€™d get better results.

Ā 

And thatā€™s it for now. Iā€™m a modeller againĀ :closedeyes:

Ā 

Trevor the slacker

Ā 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

And thatā€™s it for now. Iā€™m a modeller againĀ :closedeyes:

Ā 

Well done Trevor!

Ā 

Very sorry about Alley, a big hole when that happens.

Ā 

7 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Note to self to get more flat brushes as Iā€™m sure Iā€™d get better results.

Ā 

I'm sure you would. I'm a spray it on enamel modeller, but I've seen fantastic results from brushed on acrylic. The trick seems to be a flat brush (as you say) and building up the paint over many thin coats. I'm sure acrylic painters will chip in with more expert tips.

Ā 

Mk.V looks great and the Mk.IX is heading that way.

Ā 

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your cat.

Ā 

I've probably got some Eduard tailwheel doors in the spares box. I'll have a rummage and let you know.

Thanks for the offer šŸ‘However 10 thou card will do (or photograph it from the other side)!

Ā 

Trevor

• Like 1