DKM Seydlitz WW2

Gidday Guys, and thanks. I haven't done much more to this just yet, I'm trying to get HMS Hardy complete. And Tom @Modelholic this will be mainly OOB to speed up the build but I'll probably alter the light AA outfit a little. Some of the kit guns are wrong (the single 20mm look more like anti-tank guns), plus during her life Prinz Eugen and I assume Hipper also were fitted with single 40mm Bofors.

I'll definitely have to source some boats however. Prinz Eugen carried about a dozen I believe but the kit comes with only two, the two gigs on the leaning davits. I think Airfix simply forgot them. I'll rummage through spares but I'm going to try to make some also.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I was about to query this, as I hadn't realised the 4 cm Flak 28 were bofors! Bit of a blind spot of mine from reading about it to seeing one mounted. But yes both Hipper and Eugen had them, of the captured variety, from Norway.

Knowing your ability to scratch parts, I await the results of the ships boats with much pleasure.

David

• Thanks 1

There's some nice work there Jeff - she's taking shape and I love the fact you've got some paint on her already. Hope the search for extra boats is a frutiful one. Having just reread David's above post are you really going to scratch the extra boats!?! That would be some job bud!! 

• Thanks 1

Gidday All, Thanks for your comments and interest guys. I didn't know that the 40mm Bofors were captured guns. Now that I've completed HMS Hardy I'll try to push DKM Seydlitz along a bit quicker. I've mainly been painting the fwd superstructure which is quite awkward to get into in places. The bridge structure and funnel are dry fitted here and the turrets are only on for the photo.

SEYD2.110 superstructure painting 1

I can't remember if I've mentioned it earlier but the camo scheme I'm doing is based on what DKM Admiral Hipper wore in March 1942. According to a diagram I have anyway. If I'm wrong I'll invoke the whiff clause. 🙂
     Today I've also masked and painted most of the fittings on the upper hull deck, although the paravanes still need doing. I usually do all the deck stuff before I glue the decks to the hull but I didn't on this model for a very good reason - I forgot! 🙁 Oh well, they're done now.
     Well, that's it for now. More painting still to do, not very exciting but I paint as I go. Plus I'd better start thinking about what I'm going to do about the boats - scratchbuilding wise. They won't be very flash.

So that's it for now. Thanks for your interest, stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 5

On 18/01/2022 at 08:58, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I didn't know that the 40mm Bofors were captured guns.

I didn't know this either until a sleuth of the ol internet following on from your above post, but apparently so! Don't take my word for it though.

Looking good Jeff, I really like how those turrets have turned out and have no fear the boats will present any kind of insurmountable challenge for you.

David

• Thanks 1

Gidday All, still more painting going on. Not very exciting, in fact almost tedious and hardly worth a photo but I thought I'd better post anyway to show that DKM Seydlitz is still progressing.

SEYD2.120 superstructure painting 2

It's not the best weather for painting, too hot. Officially it's 41*C outside but I think closer to 44*C (at 4.00pm 😓), the temperature it was at 3.30pm yesterday when I got called to a bushfire, one of two I went to yesterday afternoon. A great way to spend my first day of LSL 😠. Oh well, as they said in the navy, "If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined!" 😁
     Back to Seydlitz, I've put the turrets away so they don't get damaged, glued the platform to the funnel and generally painted (with a cement trowel) parts of the aft superstructure. As I said, the paint doesn't like this heat. I've also painted the AA directors, those domes on the toothpicks behind the model. Some of the masking tape is still attached around the superstructure.
     Well, that's it for now, more of the mundane this evening when it cools down a bit. I hope. So stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 6

Does this make you a hot modeller? It's hovering around 2* here, so on average a nice comfortable temperature!

Thinking back several decades i seem to remember what you were saying about the 20mm AA. I thought Airfix might have modelled them on the army variant.

Tom

PS

Keep your paint in the fridge!

Tom

Edited by Modelholic
further thoughts
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Officially it's 41*C outside but I think closer to 44*C (at 4.00pm 😓),

As someone who suffers in the heat (for me, anything over 25C...) I feel your pain. I would've thought you need to store the models in the fridge at those temps.

Still, looking good, and glad to see that a little heat isn't affecting the Seydlitz.

David

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Does this make you a hot modeller? It's hovering around 2* here, so on average a nice comfortable temperature!

Gidday Tom, hot-headed more like. And yeah, your 2* and our 44*, that makes an average of a nice comfortable 23*. I feel cooler just thinking about it. 😁

7 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I would've thought you need to store the models in the fridge at those temps.

That sounds like a plan. All I have to do is convince SWMBO that my models take precedence over the food we eat. I don't like my chances there. Oh well  .   .   .  🙂

Anyway, it's not so bad today, a mere 40*C. I might leave any more painting until this evening. And the forecast for tomorrow is 38*C then low 30s for the rest of the week. I think I'll survive.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

All I have to do is convince SWMBO that my models take precedence over the food we eat.

Hmm, quite a pickle. Eat all the food, then insert models in fridge. Problem solved? Definitely an initial win-win for someone. Admittedly, I haven't thought through the consequences of my plan after stage 2...

David

• Haha 2

Gidday All, here's another quick update on DKM Seydlitz. Most of the main structures are painted now. In the photo below the shelter deck is glued in plus the next level of the aft superstructure which contains the hangar. The torpedo tubes are also glued in now but just about everything else is dry fitted.

SEYD2.130 structures mostly painted

In the foreground I've started painting fittings and also started on the ship's boats, some of which I'll scratch build. My first attempt is that white boat immediately in front of the wood block. I don't know how accurate it is but reasonably close I think. I'm going with it anyway. The white strip in the foreground is my second boat being built. They're rather simple, five pieces, six if I decide to add a rudder. I'll also be making another two a bit larger.
     I haven't included the turrets in this photo, you've already seen them and I don't want to risk breaking gun barrels by handling them too much. Once the boats are done I'll have a look at making the light AA guns - single 40mm Bofors and quad 20mm Vierlings.
    So that's it for now. Thank you for your interest. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 8

Gidday All, I've been working on the required boats for DKM Seydlitz. The kit come with two, I've scrounged some from spares and I've been making four motor launches. Two are 30-foot and two are 38-foot boats. I don't know how accurate these are but they seem about right to me, and if not then I can always invoke the whiff clause. 🙂 The squares on the cutting mat are 10mm square and as usual close up photos show warts and all.

SEYD2.140 ships boats

From front to back:-
    1. (A 38-footer inverted) The hull made from evergreen styrene strip, 4.8mm wide and 1.5mm thick (I didn't have any thicker in stock). I kept the strip long to have something to hold onto. On top of this is another strip, 4mm wide 1mm thick and 18mm long. I cut the bows shape before joining them together. Then another piece glued for the foc'sle, 4.8mm wide x 0.5mm thick and 6mm long, this last piece still to be trimmed to shape. When the glue was dry I sanded the bow to shape.
    2. (A 38-footer inverted) The hull cut to length (19mm long) and the rear half sanded to shape. There was a bit of a gap, almost a chine amidships hence the filler. It still has to be sanded.
    3. (A 30-foot launch) The hull has been sanded to shape and the cockpit added. The hulls of these 30 foot boats were made from 4.0mm x 1.5mm x 15mm long and 3.2mm x 0.75mmx 12mm long pieces of styrene strip. The foc'sle was 4mm wide x 0.5mm deep and 5mm long. The cockpit base is 2.5mm wide x 0.5mm deep and 5mm long. (I plan on 3.2mm x 0.5mm x 6mm for the 38-foot boats). The cockpit itself is from 2.5mm wide x 1mm deep styrene. I shaped the front faces first before cutting it 2.5mm long from the strip. When glued to the boat it protrudes about 1mm onto the foc'sle. Again I'll use 3.2mm x1mm for the 38-foot boats.
     4. And a bit of proctology - I cut with a blade then sawed with a razor saw a shallow groove for the keel/rudder. This is from 0.25mm x 1.5mm styrene, 6mm long and cut diagonally before gluing to the hull.

These smaller boats look a little chunky but they're difficult to hold while I shaped them. Plus being the first boats I was still working out how I was going to make them. Comparing them to Airfix's offerings I think they'll pass muster.

Well that's it for now. Thank you for your interest. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 8

Nice work there Jeff! Enjoy watching this kind of stuff. It's like hearing tumblers turning, as you manipulate the plastic into shapes. Fantastic mate! 

On a different note - I didn't know it got that hot in Perth! I do remember afew days where it seemed as if you just stepped outside and the shirt was wet with sweat but 40's! Wow!

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

Gidday Guys, thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

And Gary,

2 hours ago, agyoung33 said:

I didn't know it got that hot in Perth! I do remember afew days where it seemed as if you just stepped outside and the shirt was wet with sweat but 40's! Wow!

it can get quite hot here for a spell but usually temperatures like that are for a few days only. It's a pleasant 26*C right now but next weekend is forecast back to high 30s. It's a dry heat here, my shirt doesn't become drenched the moment I step outside, like it can in the tropics. The hottest day I've known was 46*C about 30 years ago. I guess it comes down to what each of us is used to - I personally don't like cold and frosts.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2022 at 16:54, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Guys, thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

And Gary,

it can get quite hot here for a spell but usually temperatures like that are for a few days only. It's a pleasant 26*C right now but next weekend is forecast back to high 30s. It's a dry heat here, my shirt doesn't become drenched the moment I step outside, like it can in the tropics. The hottest day I've known was 46*C about 30 years ago. I guess it comes down to what each of us is used to - I personally don't like cold and frosts.

Regards, Jeff.

Like you say man - what we're used to - 26C and I'd be starting to melt!

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Great work on this, she’s looking very impressive.

It’s certainly been a warm-ish summer I think your 44 degrees guess is about right, especially further inland where you are. 

Luckily COVID has prevented work from sending me to any hotter places. The Pilbara  can get downright stupid temperatures this time of year. 🌞

Must say; Gotta take my hat off to you firefighter volunteers. Must be very demanding work in those conditions.

Stay safe and I’ll see you at WASMEx! 

• Thanks 1

Gidday @IJNfan, and thanks. Which Seydlitz are you referring to regarding being announced, WW1 or this version. There was a battlecruiser SMS Seydlitz in the German Navy in WW1 that I'd like to do sometime too. She took an absolute hammering at Jutland and just kept on going. Regarding triple turrets I rather like them in cruisers too. I think that's why I believe the Mogami class with their original armament were the best looking of all Japanese cruisers, and a serious contender for the best looking of any cruiser ever. Personal taste of course. 🙂

10 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

It’s certainly been a warm-ish summer I think your 44 degrees guess is about right, especially further inland where you are. 

Luckily COVID has prevented work from sending me to any hotter places. The Pilbara  can get downright stupid temperatures this time of year. 🌞

Gidday Steve, actually the 44 degrees on Friday 21st was a guess but the day before wasn't, the brigade captain measured it as she was leaving home to join the crew. And I agree with you regarding the Pilbara. I've been up there when I worked for Telstra and I'm not in any hurry to go back there. Installing the DC power supplies in the telephone huts up there in the middle of nowhere - yeah well at 65 I'm too old for that sh#t (to quote Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon). 😁 Besides, they made me redundant and gave me the boot. 😠 Then I became a school cleaner - more time at home. 🙂

Thanks for the comments on the model. I'm doing fiddly stuff now which can be a bit time-consuming. I hope to have another post soon. Stay safe, and regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Which Seydlitz are you referring to regarding being announced, WW1 or this version.

This one, WWI ships leave me rather cold cause I like lots of superstructure stuffs and dynamics ships whereas WWI tend to be rather flat and empty -> boring to look at to me. 

Edited by IJNfan
  • Like 1

Gidday All, here's a bit more progress with DKM Seydlitz, the ship's boats. As I've said earlier the kit doesn't come with enough boats, only two are supplied so I've made four motor launches. Plus I've just made and fitted tiers for them to be stowed on.

SEYD2.150 boat tiers

The boat tiers are rather simple, each is simply a styrene strip with a vertical support pole. Those in the foreground are being glued in. They're unpainted where the boats will sit. That large white block under them is simply a 'height spacer' to support them while the glue dries. On the far side of the ship are two of the motor launches that will be stowed on them. They're just dry fitted at present.
     I had to do a similar rectification when I did this kit for the first time as Prinz Eugen about seven years ago. On that occasion the model was a lot further advanced (almost complete) before I realized Airfix's omission. Most of the structures were already attached so I had to be very careful while drilling holes and adding the tiers. On that occasion I scrounged boats from spares, I don't think I made any. Adding the boat tiers was certainly easier this time.
     In the background are some of the structures to be added. They're a bit blurred as the camera was focused on the boat tiers. These structures can be added very soon I think, now that I've done the boat tiers. I've also been working on some light AA weapons but not much to show there as yet. I've still got quite a lot to do on this but I hope to have her complete in time for WASMEx 2022, as mentioned by @Bandsaw Steve above. That's late April/early May, Covid-19 permitting.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:46 PM, IJNfan said:

WWI ships leave me rather cold cause I like lots of superstructure stuffs and dynamics ships whereas WWI tend to be rather flat and empty

I'll certainly concede that they don't have the imposing superstructures of later ships but that could be to my advantage - I'll probably have to scratch build them. 🙂 The Japanese battlewagons and later cruisers of WW2 were certainly impressive in their appearance. And their performance - they gave us a bleeding nose on more than one occasion.

Anyway that's it for now. Thank you all for your comments and interest. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 6

Gidday again, two progress posts in a single day, less than eight hours between them! I think I'll have to go and lie down after this. 🙂
    I've started adding the upperworks of DKM Seydlitz. Everything you see on the model is now glued on.

SEYD2.160 bridge and funnel fitted

The lower bridge structure is a rather complex piece. That's it the second level up after the shelterdeck. Besides the deck structure itself and those oval-shaped lookout (?) positions it has the armoured conning position towards the front and that rather blocky base to the tower behind it. I think the armoured conning position and the tower base could have been separate pieces. It probably would have been easier to mold, certainly easier to paint if they were. Oh well, I managed.
      In the containers behind the model are more pieces I've painted, plus the turrets for safe keeping.
Well that's it for tonight. More fiddly stuff tomorrow I hope. So stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 4