1/48 Vampire F1, FB6, FB30/31 Conversions for Airfix Vampire F3 from Wells Props Models

wellsprop

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi All ,

the small (2) Intake Ducts on a RAAF Vampire were called "Elephant Ears ".

"

They were 1st located on top of the Fuselage behind the Canopy then

relocated underneath  as that position was more efficient Airflow to the

Engine .

The Black Bump on the Nose of the Jet. ?........welllll !

......... that was the Radar Housing .

cheery "Modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

• Like 1

On 18/04/2022 at 11:46, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Ben 

I am not sure if you have been asked but are you considering any work on the Aussie FB.31 with the large underside intakes and nose blister? 

Chris

Hi Chris, the FB.31 is in work, the CAD intakes are complete, I need to test print them and then make any adjustments.

I've possibly overlooked the nose blister, I will have to look into this. 

On 18/04/2022 at 12:49, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hi All ,

the small (2) Intake Ducts on a RAAF Vampire were called "Elephant Ears ".

"

They were 1st located on top of the Fuselage behind the Canopy then

relocated underneath  as that position was more efficient Airflow to the

Engine .

The Black Bump on the Nose of the Jet. ?........welllll !

......... that was the Radar Housing .

cheery "Modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

Ah I didn't realise the intakes moved below, have you got any photos or drawings showing the nose bump? 

Cheer

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Hi Chris, the FB.31 is in work, the CAD intakes are complete, I need to test print them and then make any adjustments.

I've possibly overlooked the nose blister, I will have to look into this. 

Ah I didn't realise the intakes moved below, have you got any photos or drawings showing the nose bump? 

Cheer

Ben

Hi Ben that is brilliant, thank you,  I will definitely buy set .

There are some great images on Airliners.net and a close up shoeing the nose bump online by Brett Green  I am unsure of copyright issues re posting here so a bit weary.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2022 at 12:15, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Ben 

I hope you are well.  Just checking I  to see how the FB.31 bits are going, are they still going ahead ?

Hope I am not being too pushy here. Just keen!!!

Thanks 

Chris

The extra intakes are complete and I'm currently working on the nose (which is proving a tad harder). 

• Thanks 1

• wellsprop changed the title to 1/48 Vampire F1, FB6, FB30/31 Conversions for Airfix Vampire F3 from Wells Props Models
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2022 at 22:25, dadgaddad said:

Did somebody say . . . Sea Vampire? 🤔

WiP - slightly stalled!

On 05/01/2023 at 15:03, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Ben 

Hope you're well. Happy New year, hope you don't think I am a pain, is there any more news on the FB.31 conversion yet?

Thanks 

Chris

The final prototype parts went on the printer half an hour ago! 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What about a Sea Vampire F.20 conversion set ? Basically a navalised FB.5 

"The Sea Vampire had several key differences from their land-based counterparts. It could be easily distinguished by the presence of a V-shaped arrester hook that retracted to a high-mounted position above the jet pipe. The Sea Vampire was fitted with enlarged air brakes and landing flaps for superior low-speed control during landing approaches, along with stronger construction for the higher stresses involved in carrier landings and catapult launches."

vampirefb6-15.jpg

Regards

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2023 at 19:23, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Ben,

How  are the FB.31 conversions coming on ???

Chris

Now complete! 

The nose bulge failed to print but I've added some larger supports and it prints fine.

Ill have some photos this weekend (hopefully) and they'll be available very shortly. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/02/2023 at 23:18, bigbadbadge said:

That's Brilliant news thanks Ben. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Chris

Everything has been printed now!

Photos this weekend and (hopefully) on sale too :)

• Thanks 1