Every Vally Shall Be Exalted - The Valentine Tank Family Vol.1 - Finished

2 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Good work Bertie, coming along a treat...

Ed

Thanks Ed. I'm having a great time at the moment getting close to painting in a day or two perhaps. I've found a few things missing from the kit which I'll need to scratch: the 2" mortar, the spare aerials case, the cable reel, and most unaccountably, the wooden jacking pads in their cage. The pads were on the Valentine Mk. II and would have been so easy to include. I'm thinking that Tamiya worked from a museum Archer which had lost a few bits and pieces over the years, a very common problem with kitmakers. No problem though, making my own is much more fun! Pictures later.

• Like 1

My head is all jammed up over the Archer at the moment, so I'm going to write about it to help me find a way to unjam it. You don't need to read this, just scroll down to the next lot of pictures for the routine update. 

I have a vexing  perplexity with open topped tanks, and with full interior tanks, and with lorries and stuff like that. I never know when to stop building and start painting. :shrug:

It's a problem we all face the first time we decide to paint the inside of that Airfix Spitfire and with simple models we don't even notice it, we just solve the problem without thinking about it because it's so easy. The more complex the kit, the more complicated the decision. Unfortunately for me, a bear of very little brain,  the kits I'm doing now are more complex than anything I've tackled before. (Thank goodness, or moddelling would be too boring for words.) When I've made as many AFVs etc as I have aeroplanes, I'll just know what to do but right now these decisions make my head ache and actually keep me awake at night. 🥺

Imagine I start painting as soon as possible, in the most extreme case, before I stick anything together. I win because I have perfect access to all sides of every component and can paint them easily and with scope to paint incredible detailing on each piece. I lose because much of the paintwork will not be visible, because the time involved makes every project stretch out unto the very crack of doom, because when I fix the pieces together the glue and the fitting process will damage the fragile acrylic paint already applied and the paint will often stop pieces fitting properly. Also there's a lot of switching back and forth between paint and build. There's huge potential for losing parts and for mixing parts up. All of these things happened on my British Mk. V full interior build last year. I don't have the kind of temperament for working this way, being too impulsive and with a big spoonful of 'hurry-up' in my mental mix. Overall, I lose by working this way

Imagine I stick everything together and then paint everything in one go. All of the problems mentioned above disappear, which is nice. BUT I can't paint anything very well because I have no clear access. I still lose.

Extremes are almost always impractical and the optimum solution will lie in the middle somewhere and will always be a compromise. Whenever I choose to switch from building to painting, I'll make some things better and some things worse. I know this but I'm still really over-thinking the Archer, trying to avoid the errors of the Mk. V while learning enough to 'perfectly' manage the Minicraft Grant Full-Interior kit in the M3/4 group build in the spring. 

Oh. There's the problem. I saw it immediately when I read over what I've written above. I'm a perfectionist in a hurry. Mr Perfect wants to 'pre-paint' and Mr Urgent wants to 'post-paint'. Interesting. A bit of the old irresistible force and immovable object conundrum. 

Time for a trip to the shop. As Mr Holmes would say, this is a three packets-of-biscuits problem. 

• Like 5

I like to assemble as much as I can get away with before starting paint, I dislike sticking painted parts together, having to scrape paint, ruin it with glue, do touch ups etc. But like you said, the "get away with" part is always just a best guess. I like the perfectionist in a hurry description, sounds familiar 🙂 ... In my experience there are 2 modes (for me), the first is "think and get nothing done", the other is "just do something and fix any problems afterwards".... I'm trying to find that middle ground. 

• Like 2

Bertie,

What you describe is something many struggle with.

It took me a long time to "strive for excellence, not perfection".  The difference can be very Zen like.

A quick search using that above quoted snippet will result in many results. 

My favourite description is this one:  https://psychcentral.com/blog/imperfect/2019/09/why-you-should-strive-for-excellence-not-perfection

It took a me very long time to get past the "I have to make it perfect" mindset to the point that I can just embrace and enjoy the journey. From time to time I still wander past that fine line of trying to make something perfect but I always find ways to rein it in. I still like to fuss over small details just for the sake of fussing over little details.  I now consider that spending that time fussing over some small details is now just part of the journey so long as I don't let it get the better of me. Kind of like your tarting up the handle on the Archers gravy boat.

cheers, Graham

• Like 5

1 minute ago, JeroenS said:

I like to assemble as much as I can get away with before starting paint, I dislike sticking painted parts together, having to scrape paint, ruin it with glue, do touch ups etc. But like you said, the "get away with" part is always just a best guess. I like the perfectionist in a hurry description, sounds familiar 🙂 ... In my experience there are 2 modes (for me), the first is "think and get nothing done", the other is "just do something and fix any problems afterwards".... I'm trying to find that middle ground

Same, same. It seems I'm fundamentally incompatible with myself. (Mr Perfect doesn't even like bingeing on Chocolate Digestives. )

2 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

I now consider that spending that time fussing over some small details is now just part of the journey so long as I don't let it get the better of me. Kind of like your tarting up the handle on the Archers gravy boat.

Yes, rush some things and dwell on others. I'll have to work shifts with myself. 😁

Interestingly, having fiddled with the gravy boat for ages, I glued it in place where it will be difficult to paint perfectly but probably possible to paint adequately. 

• Like 1

PLAN OF ACTION (roughly speaking)

First make the diorama base to set the wheels correctly then, 

1 If it's green stick it on, whether it's inside or out (but leave the superstructure removeable.)

2 If it's other than green or green with other colours, fettle it and store it in a tray

3 Base paint everything, detail paint the trayful of bits

4 Detail paint and weather the inside

5 Stick it all together

6 Weather the outside

(Perfect likes a plan, a plan that urgency will probably ignore. 🤣)

• Like 1

Blimey! E's off and running again. Can't keep up with you. I'll have to do some conditioning at the gym, if Jim will have me.

Sterling progress, old fruit. I like the squeezing in work you did on the driver figure (can I call him Bert?). This is very realistic modelling and ergonomics. I've tried on for size quite a few AFVs over the years and they were all a tight fit. I'm just glad you weren't around to maim shoehorn me into the darn things.

Your observation on the differing quality of moulding between Valentine and Archer is interesting. According to scaleymates, Tamiya released them in the same year; 2017. 

Those MiniArt figures look fabulous... at least from a packaging point of view. Gotta say their Austin armoured car (it has a bugle in lieu of a gravy boat) parked in my cupboard looks exquisite, so should the figures be.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Maginot said:

Sterling progress, old fruit. I like the squeezing in work you did on the driver figure (can I call him Bert?). This is very realistic modelling and ergonomics. I've tried on for size quite a few AFVs over the years and they were all a tight fit. I'm just glad you weren't around to shoehorn me into the darn things.

A power grinder is faster than dieting...

Your observation on the differing quality of moulding between Valentine and Archer is interesting. According to scaleymates, Tamiya released them in the same year; 2017. 

Really, I  thought there was a gap. Must be down to different designers then. The difference is so small that I can't even remember what I said. This is still a brilliantly thought out kit.

Those MiniArt figures look fabulous... at least from a packaging point of view. Gotta say their Austin armoured car parked in my cupboard looks exquisite, so should the figures be. It's just a pity they're all orificers.

They are all individuals and look very good. Probably better than I'm able to paint them! And I have some lads too, hanging about, drinking tea and waiting for their turn in the barrel.

• Like 1

y4m1JBhs57klbLp_AumN2s45SOWK8NhHVu1O2Prc

Of course, there are some parts of our process that might be better done at the gallop. On the Mk.V I over-thought myself to a standstill when it came to the diorama base, and produced nothing at all.

y4mPHsfzyAgijqqfw92PPYZ7utwIrO5DiXL20O8t

Not so much this time. The big hole is a firing pit dug from the chalk of Salisbury Plain. There will be a thin plywood base under the polystyrene foam and that will be the base of the pit. I'll cover the lot in polyfiller type material. The poly chips are the foundations for the parapet. 

The hut will be flat roofed to function as an observation point and will have a red flag on a pole, giving a bit of verticality to the scene.

The SNCO's will be running the show. The officers will be getting in the way. 

The Tilly will have brought the staff to the range, as well as the sandwiches. There will be tea brewing.

Any suggestions for what else I can include on range day will be most welcome.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

There will be tea brewing.

Most important!

How about a flagpole for the live ammo in use warning - might fill a small corner?

Sheep! They will give you the important information that the shooting hasn't started yet.

No. I want some empties in that shell bin. forget the sheep.

y4mUCmjlMS4RdBaTgoFwQKe_30mJbIEqisXfjtuQ

With the external tool boxes in place, I find that I can securely dry fit the superstructure, which might be important for some of my strange painting ideas.

y4mplNopahmfJFcvH8o_2Xbo4LJZd04MzDOpQ8vN

Then it all falls apart like a clown's car so I can fit the remaining components and weather the inside easily.

Note the dent in the toolbox which turned out so bad that I'll be adding the regulation camouflage netting.

That's all on the Vally Project for today. After tea I must give some love to the Last Aeroplane. Well, hate really as I'm making battle damage over there in Vietnam.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's on the roof of the range hut.

Ooops! I missed that. Could have been dodging 17pdr shells if the range was up and running!

• Haha 1

Any suggestions for what else I can include on range day will be most welcome.

For the range hut/shelter? Table, chairs, binoculars, clipboard, magazine with pinups and a makeshift ashtray overflowing with butts and Wrigleys wrappers. Or won't the RSM permit such evidence of idleness on his range?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Maginot said:

For the range hut/shelter? Table, chairs, binoculars, clipboard, magazine with pinups and a makeshift ashtray overflowing with butts and Wrigleys wrappers. Or won't the RSM permit such evidence of idleness on his range?

Excellent suggestions all. Thanks. 

Thinks: Posters too. Maybe graffiti. Fire bucket full of butts. I could have a sheep if it was dead! Gorse bush. Chalky or flint outcrops. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

How about one of these Bertie?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/icm-35800-wc-field-toilet--1329449

Sure you could make something similar with coffee stirrers.

George

Oh yes, good idea. The range staff would be up there all day. I shall mark it 'Permanent Staff Only!'

(And I shall brace the door the correct way. The strut slopes up from the hinge side, not down)

• Like 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Every Vally Shall Be Exalted - The Valentine Tank Family - Tamiya Archer starts on page 6
Just now, PlaStix said:

Hi Bertie. Great to see this is still progressing so well and I like the idea for the diorama.

Kind regards,

Stix

It's likely to be progressing for years! (On and off)

The diorama has captured my interest now. It's not so complicated that it scares me but I hope it will be interesting when it's done. 

• Like 1

Late 44 you say? Rainy weather, possible chance of snow? Two wheel drive Tilley? Jeep with all the canvas more like! Or a Morris cos it had a heater.

I'll get me coat

Box on

Strickers