Every Vally Shall Be Exalted - The Valentine Tank Family Vol.1 - Finished

y4mm7rsq2x88BmdaTz6UA4oC5c7Ml7uruIFV6xVu

I had a delivery today. The driver rolled up in this charming little vehicle, still in use in 1945, though rather rusty and battered. Lent to my Canadian Arty Regt by the Dorsetshire Regiment. He brought reinforcements for the diorama.

y4mBKBxfKmLDjWueL7L2OJ6e54ZVS-sagfVgvwKT

I won't be using all of these but I think the Colonel and the mean looking one with the clipboard might find a place.

y4mpG-929y_vy9RCuu8Bt5c2As4ateUInwQfF0l7

All safely wrapped up until needed. I really like this way of organising them. 

y4mTNgN-b6u0-91qxF5TnVQanMUyoYJH4Q2UoUTl

The lower hull has had a few additions tonight and I stuck the insides in properly. Painting them before assembly would be possible but the benefits wouldn't be worth the hassle. Anything I can't paint after assembly wouldn't be very visible anyway. So far, anyway, though as I work my way up to the top of the internals there will be things I will want to paint before assembly, like the small arms and the big gun and of course, the figures.

y4m2h4l6IGAba2qAoXJGb2A43de6ts64JbFxIK0O

Other than that, I've been wheely busy again. (I'll do that joke for every Valentine in the series.😁) Clipped, cleaned, assembled, sanded and chipped.

This is the kind of job only needs half of your brain and that really suits a film that only needs half of your attention. Tonight, for example, I've been enjoying Wonder Woman. (Ah, if only...)

• Like 14

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

That is indeed a very neat example of figure storage. A serious looking bunch, these officer types. Got to keep the lads in line!

I fear that it reveals the obsessive/compulsive side of my character! I suspect that's not a rare characteristic in the modelling world🙂

12 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

the mean looking one

Don't upset him whatever you do! You'll be on a charge and your feet won't touch the ground, laddie!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I fear that it reveals the obsessive/compulsive side of my character! I suspect that's not a rare characteristic in the modelling world🙂

Not rare, but not omnipresent 🙂 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Not rare, but not omnipresent 🙂 

I didn't mean as a disorder, merely as a tendency, but yes, not all of us. 

Part of the pleasure of building a model kit for me is reducing the 'chaos' in the box to a single organised object. And you should see my tidy arrangements for paint storage! 😁

Oh! I just realised this is why I don't have a shelf of doom and why my stash is so small!   Useful insight. 🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I didn't mean as a disorder, merely as a tendency, but yes, not all of us. 

Part of the pleasure of building a model kit for me is reducing the 'chaos' in the box to a single organised object. And you should see my tidy arrangements for paint storage! 😁

I think it was because of what I saw in one of your earlier threads that made me buy some nice clear plastic containers to store "wip projects" in. My paints are still sort of all over the place though 🤓

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I think it was because of what I saw in one of your earlier threads that made me buy some nice clear plastic containers to store "wip projects" in. My paints are still sort of all over the place though 🤓

When I see other modeller's workbenches in the background of their posted photos, I amuse myself by comparing the levels of mess on the table with the quality of their finished work. I find that there is absolutely no correlation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2022 at 10:24 AM, Model Mate said:

From what I remember, you take off the head of the “racquet” and you’re left with two wires. Connect one of them to the tea strainer which you should be able to fit into the space vacated by the head. The other wire needs extending and a nail adding - you’ll end up with a lead say a foot long coming out of the handle with its nail on the end. This nail gets poked into your ground work to complete the circuit back to the tea strainer end. I think I found a video on YouTube…..

Your method seems to be exactly what the cottage industry manufacturer used to make my applicator which came today.

y4mY0Qf_1ZqxR2KygfebUoNVAPai1uTZJmxHugVt

I found it on eBay for about twenty pounds and I'm quite happy with that. It saved me some tedious faffing around.

No moddelling done on the Archer today, I got distracted by a figure model and a really long walk with the dog, who is now two inches shorter.

• Like 2

y4mropqR7hnQPi0JyJYXaxzINEUm8-YiBhLOwZWY

I've been working upwards. The upper hull is secured and a few bits and pieces have been added in the fighting compartment.

y4muYOx2Bdw-5Z_hfJlrP0Svc8emSxvpNCaxHbhZ

The fighting compartment sides were only dry fitted in order to see how close we are to painting. I think, quite close. Time to get some paint inside before I render it inaccessible. Before I do that though, I'll assemble the gun and anything else that needs to go inside and then paint them all in one go.

Most of this assembly is very straightforward and hardly needs to be mentioned.

y4mB94smSME5Uyn6DWKEyi1CVY_kHHbmottCz_yN

I found this bit interesting though. It's the bin into which the empty cases are ejected. Considering the weight of all that brass, and the speed it landed in the bin, I thought a few dents would be in order. That should dry-brush nicely.

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, APA said:

Like what you've done there with the shell bin. This is in my stash so am watching keenly 🧐

Andrew 

Thanks Andrew. I'll put a couple of empties in there. I will only be including a few rounds in this one as it's a range scene, not combat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diablo rsv said:

Nice attention to detail Bertie

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. I'm pretty well ignorant of armour modelling, at least compared to aircraft, so a comment like yours really means a lot.

(I've always been an aircraft modeller until fairly recently when I realised I needed the refreshment of new challenges. I was an aircraft engineer for 20+ years but I've never been inside a tank or even seen one moving apart from on film.)

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Every Vally Shall Be Exalted - The Valentine Tank Family - Tamiya Archer from page 6
9 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thanks Andrew. I'll put a couple of empties in there. I will only be including a few rounds in this one as it's a range scene, not combat. 

Good day Bertie, you are doing a great job. I have just finished the same kit and will be posting some pics. later this week. I also have created a base for it as well.

My build has also included the Eduard Photo Etched set.

The wood blocks you talk about in your Valentine build can be swapped out quite easily with real balsa wood and paint with various washes to look like real weathered wood. It is quite easy and effective. You get a real wood grain texture from the wood.

Cheers Dennis

49 minutes ago, junobeach said:

Good day Bertie, you are doing a great job. I have just finished the same kit and will be posting some pics. later this week. I also have created a base for it as well.

My build has also included the Eduard Photo Etched set.

The wood blocks you talk about in your Valentine build can be swapped out quite easily with real balsa wood and paint with various washes to look like real weathered wood. It is quite easy and effective. You get a real wood grain texture from the wood.

Cheers Dennis

Thanks Dennis

I look forward to seeing yours (and pinching your ideas).😄

y4mXWkLbQrLuqIV5lHxANrus4hH7-wt-W6O2IyYJ

I've been really tied up today with experimental work on the aeroplane (ew) model but I did manage to assemble the breech end of the gun. It's satisfyingly complicated without having a zillion parts. There is some cleaning up left to do when the glue has hardened. I drilled out the direct fire sight but otherwise left it as per the kit. This was supposed to be mostly OOB, I keep reminding myself.

y4mIt3ss6TqUQ1b1Ow0KsaKBb-sAYbF6T16WN1P_

And the other side. That cage around the breech is what stops the driver getting his brains beaten out with each shot.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thank you. It's an interesting build because I don't know the Archer very well and I keep finding pieces and saying "What on Earth is that?" 😄

But I see that everything is going well with you, and all the details are in their place. It would be a lot worse if you'd said "What on Earth is that?" looking at the finished model... :D

Vytautas

• Haha 1

Just now, vytautas said:

But I see that everything is going well with you, and all the details are in their place. It would be a lot worse if you'd said "What on Earth is that?" looking at the finished model... :D

Vytautas

That can still happen!

• Haha 1

y4meJjfXGXOqgrDCjqp4g2LVR8LpELxqXOlXh-ue

Well, I knew what that was immediately. Though why they needed a gravy boat on an SPG, I have no idea.

y4mqKwUBazLTxZ6FKJBrDCtHCreYb5wpQfKUwQJ1

I didn't want the lads spilling the gravy so I just had to drill out the handle and thin it down to Stoke-on-Trent standards.

y4mBh5Tq100dbFWEL7vjgO6V3I9AVnnrULCNY1CD

To my amazement, it might be visible on the finished model.

OMG look at that pin mark! How did I miss that one? (Two mins later. Gone.)

y4mgyUjSXhGIq_So5L_0vlK57l_OwTKz1E32s9i2

WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT? And should I have drilled out the hole? It's right by the gunner's elbow so I guess its a box for the sight???

y4mkPYA_IKy-R_Jx9dh76SwBQm_lpXxy0_VERzt4

There were a number of pin marks inside the walls of the fighting compartment, but being a Tamiya kit they were dead flush and only needed to be textured to blend in.

y4me1Xe__AxSRf7CQ0tXlb027WiHQtCwz-qGdVMB

And there it was, gone!

y4mGtFpatzWeMjaUYYNxnIRkw4JA-BT4_68dQglm

I used one of these contact cleaning brushes. It's a fibre glass brush in a holder like a propelling pencil and excellent for sanding in really awkward places.

That's about all that's been photogenic this afternoon. I've been busy sticking various boxes on the inside but I'll postpone showing you that particular spectacle until it's all done.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1