Every Vally Shall Be Exalted - The Valentine Tank Family Vol.1 - Finished

43 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Agree that this paint is really nice and brush paints very well too. Not the cheapest but worth it for smaller parts etc.

Well Steph, between you and @vytautas, you have made a sale. I'm ordering paint this week so I'll try a couple of bottles of the stuff.

• Like 1

@Bertie Psmith Just making sure you caught Thursday's review by Mike:

Non Metallic Metal (NMM) Acrylic Paint Sets Gold & Steel (CS53 & CS54) by LifeColour.

Traditional artists that work on paper and canvas must create their metallics with non-metallic paints, instead creating the highlights, reflections, low-lights and different hues introduced from external sources nearby or from that big angry ball of nuclear fusion that we call the Sun.  Some figure painters have taken this technique and attempted to apply it to 3D figures in an effort to create something new and impressive that will solve all the problems associated with the simplistic natural metal finishes that us modellers usually use.

Seems to me that this is very much in the spirit of your developing approach to painting metal surfaces. Included in Mike's review are links to guides introducing modellers to this painting technique.

18 minutes ago, Maginot said:

Just making sure you caught Thursday's review by Mike:

Thanks Maginot, this is exactly what I'm getting so excited about lately. In figures originally but now with vehicles and even aircraft. I've admired Gobbi's work for a long time. He's a regular winner of the Golden Demon painting awards (their website is well worth a few minutes look, by the way)

y4msFn22Jsdzp0dyge8SdyuaBpFc672KFnrmxyjW

This one has reflections of the sky, of his dark arms and flag. And when you look closely, the blends don't have to be super smooth either. Reflections on metal are often quite hard edged.

I'm currently torn between re-doing those shells like this as shiny brass, and re-doing them as tarnished yellow browns with no reflections at all. I have spares so maybe I should try both!

• Like 3

This one has reflections of the sky, of his dark arms and flag. And when you look closely, the blends don't have to be super smooth either. Reflections on metal are often quite hard edged.

This is all old-fashioned brushwork, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Maginot said:

This is all old-fashioned brushwork, isn't it?

It is. With those strong contrasts between light and shade, its Rembrandt-esque. See The Night Watch. I wonder whether Rembrandt would have used metallic paint if it was available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Watch#/media/File:The_Night_Watch_-_HD.jpg

• Thanks 1

y4ma6l_lLYcj2haR-3RfLZOfNGEDq0JhtBk47rm7

"Enough talking, back to work!" says the mean looking officer. Time to pinwash the insides to simulate shadows and pop out the detail, annd as a bonus, get a bit of muck spread around the place. Tankies are very dirty people, constantly maintaining a dirty, greasy, sooty, muddy vehicle makes them that way and everything that they touch, sit on or lean against will show traces of their passing. And I like weathering!

This is white spirit or oil paint thinners with a little black and a little brown oil paint mixed in and a couple of blobs of the colour left where I can grab a swift brushload of muck to dab on where I need it. Some say you have to clearcoat gloss before pinwashing but I don't think it's necessary on a tank. Yes, the wash will creep onto the matt paint but it doesn't matter, it looks better that way, IMHO.

y4mq6Cvy5VGW3gK0gEJHKYT1ZywAee-X-ntiCfew

I love doing this, watching the paint race into the cracks like a living thing. And with just a little help from me, the results are almost always excellent. Not that I'm particularly skilled, I mean that it's actually easy to do. Suddenly the flat single coloured pieces are variegated, with lots of different hues and shades, just like real life. Nothing is just one colour (except a newly painted piece of plastic). 

y4mlqOmF716A_1G9GuGhWpO-TTdeHXRXo3tGdpa6

There you go. A bit of grease, oil leaking down that tubular reservoir, done in a few seconds. Oddly enough my hands are a bit shaky this morning, and it made it easier to randomise the muck! What a bonus.

y4mpobXsUF8ujrwndZt3Agr8wS-uox0MZjtMDDck

Looks better in there too I think. 

y4m4v9GJk59atcosppcuYhsDXL12H8KW4yegIaf5

And guess what? It's made the shells look a lot better too. The fired ones got an extra-thick coating of the brown to simulate the effect of heat.

Next job in the interior will be chipping, another creative (bodging) part of the build that I really enjoy. I'll let the oil wash dry first though, at least overnight.

y4mSy2zTSwcrtX78OwPSn5Iem6Bi-3LPLac9y3tl

So I went outside and underneath for a while. Remember that I was going to displace the wheels a bit to make them fit the diorama? I abandoned that idea because the floor of the firing pit is going to be pretty well flat. Also, if the dio turns out to be pants, I can then display the tank as a stand-alone on my shelf. The dio is likely to be pants because I have little practice and limited skills in that area, but let's not worry about that yet.

I've prepped the wheels for painting green. I'll do the outside of the lower hull at the same time, paint the tyres, weather the lot and then stick the wheels on. This seems to be the only way I can think of to build the link and length tracks. I was trying to recall how I did the prototype but of course, that has completely different tracks.

y4m-dVMMTz5bROJdGWti9wJMNbx3QlGJXlogghHH

The plan, such as it is, is to build the whole thing flat on the desk apart from the highlighted section, let it dry to the soft toffee stage and then wrap it around the wheels to dry. Then I can remove it for painting, reattaching it later with some cement. The nine remaining links will simply be built onto the sprocket and painted there. The sprocket is poly-capped so I'll be able to rotate it to meet the top and bottom of the other section.

I'd only do this with a Tamiya kit. Obviously, it will fit perfectly.

Won't it?

You don't look convinced?

• Like 15

The blank look is my default state apparently!  😶

I've been going down the rabbit hole of NMP, struggling to get the head around how 2D techniques translate to a 3D object. A bit like the street arrtists who draw holes in pavements, when viewed from just the right angle they look amazeballs, but from any other direction, not so good. 

I think that there are priciples that could translate to models as you have highlighted (or lowlighted)

Will watch for your machinations with immoderate anticipation.

Box On 

Strickers

• Like 1

I have a headache tonight and told the guys on the Phantom WIP that I was going to knock it on the head for the evening. But you know how the Vallys call you home, boyo? I had to do some chipping and some assembling. I only took pictures at the end though, sorry. Anyway, here it is.

y4mFJeIvX-_8YwEhevBwh3GkHrAzxWFFfV2UhZ0v

y4mPwTrs7XPFRIixrVc0XFStu27dmu5a9kaQyQlx

y4m6ubWayB20vlHisuAr3THHi9OcgAXX7vaGE7E1

y4mhwpKzgwlJ1cainkgr0J2OrkHACHAu-uLttWVZ

It's very busy in there.

I can see tons of snags at 4X magnification so don't you dare zoom in out there! Maybe the three blokes who have to go in there will hide some of the shoddy bits. Good enough for me at the moment though and probably the best tank interior I've done to date, so that's ok. I'm moving forward!

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

That looks very nice Bertie, your painting and chipping looks great, very realistic...

Ed

Thanks Ed. I tried to put the scrapes and chips where the traffic would be. Have you noticed the absence of doors on this thing. Over the top was the only way in and out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Bertie,

Looking good.

We are always our own most critical judge, as it should be otherwise we will never grow and improve. 

cheers, Graham

Oh very true. The best model I ever built is the next one. 

• Like 2

Well......that was quite the catch up, from a discussion on filling a dio complete with biscuit interlude to recreating brass shell cases to a lovely looking interior!

The interior, to my eye, looks great, suitably busy and interesting with some really nice paint effects and weathering. 

Great work 

Darryl 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Well......that was quite the catch up, from a discussion on filling a dio complete with biscuit interlude to recreating brass shell cases to a lovely looking interior!

The interior, to my eye, looks great, suitably busy and interesting with some really nice paint effects and weathering. 

Great work 

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl. I’m within sight of completing the Archer now. More than half way?

‘Only’ the Tilly, the seven or eight figures, and the simple diorama to do after that. Next time you drop in I might be finishing. 😆

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thanks Darryl. I’m within sight of completing the Archer now. More than half way?

‘Only’ the Tilly, the seven or eight figures, and the simple diorama to do after that. Next time you drop in I might be finishing. 😆

Good of you to give me a sporting chance of keeping up by double posting! :whistle:

It's a time thing, I can model or I can spend time on BM....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

chipping

Thanks BB, for the compliment. 

Since seeing the magnified photos I've had an idea about that chipping. I'll use enamels for the chipping on the exterior because I would like the brushstrokes to be finer than I can achieve with acrylics. I think it's a surface tension thing that's doing it, even with flow improver.

• Like 1