Desert Biffer: Messerschmitt Bf 110 E Trop, Airfix 1/72

Just got this one over the line. It's a kit I picked up for a song on Facebook Marketplace a few months back and has been at the top of the stash ever since, because I like the look of it. I was determined that it was going to be a quick OOB fun build and that I wasn't going to be a slave to accuracy, that said a little bit of stuff that wasn't in the box found its way into the mix: Eduard canopy masks, resin exhausts, a bit of Uschi thread for the radio wires and the bendy crosses on the tails came from a Techmod sheet. I did a little bit of remedial work on the engine nacelles that for some reason were moulded to overlap onto the control surfaces (bit weird that), and enhanced the bombs with some thin plastic rod.. Brush painted mostly with Revell enamels (I feel I trust their RLMs more than I do Humbrol's), enamel wash for the panel lines and a rattlecan matt finish. There's some debate out of there about which bits of his plane were and weren't yellow but I didn't get too involved in that, just went with the callouts. It is known though that this airframe didn't have tropical filters fitted. I have to say a very enjoyable kit, I'm happy with the end result, the trench like panel lines didn't turn out too prominent but it does have the look of a diecast model about it. Thanks for looking in!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Always nice to see a trop version of the 110- you were right about the kit; it could have been real state of the art if Airfix had paid a  little more attention with their research. Guess those fuel tanks must have been filled to the brim, as they seem to have weighed the wings down somewhat. A minor glitch- those three black circles you have on either side of the nacelles should go on the inner side of each nacelle only, as IIRC, they are meant to represent the engine instruments mounted there for view by the pilot- I think the Me-210/410 had the same setup...something to do with the narrow width of the cockpit, as I recall.

Mike

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Maybe the V-shape could be more positive? Please don’t mind?

43 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Guess those fuel tanks must have been filled to the brim, as they seem to have weighed the wings down somewhat.

You're quite right about the dihedral (is that the right word?), I noticed when I put the wings on that the engine nacelles were skewed outwards relative to one another as below (exaggerated version) but as you say @72modeler it's not enough to spoil the end result. Interesting about those black circles. Looks like the callouts got it wrong. i don't thin I've ever seen a set of instructions from Airfix without some error or other... on this particular kit the white underside wingtips were omitted from the "bottom" view but clearly visible in the "profile" view (as well as on a companion airframe on the box art).

spacer.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

You're quite right about the dihedral (is that the right word?), I noticed when I put the wings on that the engine nacelles were skewed outwards relative to one another as below (exaggerated version) but as you say @72modeler it's not enough to spoil the end result. Interesting about those black circles. Looks like the callouts got it wrong. i don't thin I've ever seen a set of instructions from Airfix without some error or other... on this particular kit the white underside wingtips were omitted from the "bottom" view but clearly visible in the "profile" view (as well as on a companion airframe on the box art).

spacer.png

yes Dihedral is the right word, so I hope you don’t mind my critics, because the model is really nice. And your paint brush is first class Sir! 

• Thanks 1

This is a beauty, Tony!  Very nice work. 

I too noticed the flat (or maybe slightly anhedral) angle of the wings, but only from the front.  I think it doesn't detract from the model (and certainly doesn't detract from your terrific work! :) ).  I wonder if that is a common Airfix failing?  I have an Bf-109G with wings almost at the same angle!

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps. @opus999 I suspect just sanding a bit away from the upper wing roots might have done the trick but I wasn’t paying attention, clearly 😁

@stevehnz do me a favour and let me know when you start yours, I’d love to see how you get along. (I realise any given kit can sit in the stash for literally years, of course 😂)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

I realise any given kit can sit in the stash for literally years, of course 😂)

I'm pleased we got that straightened out from the start. ;) :D Hopefully, with retirement looming in 5 months approx, some things I've talked about for a bit might see the light of day.  :fingerscrossed:

Steve.

• Haha 1

Looks fantastic!

Having also built the Airfix 110 myself (though not this desert theatre version) I can concede that Eduard's kit is far more accurate and true in scale.

However, I think your build really gives it a good showing (far better than my own effort, that's for sure)!

Well done!

:clap2::clap2:

• Thanks 1

Well done Tony. I had forgotten to look for this finished and I'm glad I found it. I don't know how you brush painters get such great results. It's why I had to learn airbrushing.

I was disappointed when Airfix released this, needed more attention to detail.

I removed A LOT of the wing root on the fuselage to get the proper dihedral.

P1010094.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Is why we are "Air-fixers"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1