B.O.A.C. decals

RODH2

I have had the ex-Frog 1/96th Britannia and Comet 4 waiting "in the wings" since forever, and I just can't locate the classic B.O.A.C. decals that would get me over the line with these two. Does anyone know a reliable supplier that does these decals? There must be some decals out there somewhere, it's such a classic scheme for these two! I would appreciate any information anyone may have, Thanks!

Ever thought of printing yourself? It's not that hard if you have a Laser Printer (or inkjet, but this i never tried)  available, and on Civil Planes it's rather easy most of the times, with Letters on white background. Even more so with the BOAC scheme, if I remember correctly.

• 1 month later...

I printed my own as I had an F-RSIN 1:144 Comet with air france decals in the stash but wanted to make the first jetliner to enter service (BOAC's G-ALYP).

Even in the smaller scale it was fairly easy.

I created them in Adobe illustrator (as I like vector graphics as I can rescale them to any scale in future). Then printed on the cheapest printer paper I could find (thin) so I could roughly cut them out and offer them up to the model. A few adjustments later I was ready to go with the real thing.

I printed them on white background decal film on my printer gave them a coat of clear spray over the top to seal them and let them dry well. 

The hardest bit was the stripes down the fuselage. There is the large blue band that follows the line of the windows, bordered by a yellow-gold stripe which were easy to reproduce in the decals. The issue was the very thin white stripe below the bottom yellow-gold stripe and above the boundary of the silver / polished alu of the bottom of the fuselage. Getting the lines to look even and getting the join between white and silver paint in exactly the right place isn't easy... so I cheated: by using the white backed decals I could print a fine cut line to mark the edge of the white stripe below the yellow-gold stripe then cut it out very very carefully and apply it. That meant the join between white and alu paint was hidden under the decal and didn't have to be anywhere near perfect. 

Worked OK

TFB

Old WIP Thread (I've replaced some of the lost photobucket photos via Google Blogger now but not all of them as I can't find all the originals)

Edit:

Edited by Flying Badger
add link to old WIP