1:48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Tropical *FINISHED*

Dunny

Hi All,

I thought I'd add a second build thread along with my current Skua WIP, as I've got a sneaking feeling I might need some light relief from that build :banghead:, so I'll see how I go with 2 separate WIPs for the moment! This will be my 3rd build of an Airfix Hurricane (the others being a BoB Mk.I, and Dickie Cork's Sea Hurricane), so the kit holds few surprises (which is part of the attraction!). Here's the box art:

20211211-114451-1.jpg

Here's the sprue shots:

20211211-114302.jpg

20211211-114321.jpg

Both transparencies and decals look nice:

20211211-114402.jpg

I've got a Yahu instrument panel, masks and Eduard seat belts:

20211211-114427-1.jpg

I'm going to complete as the box scheme, which is P2638, flown by Sgt F H Dean of 274 Sqn, based in Sidi Barrani, Egypt 1941:

20211211-114519-1.jpg

Here's a photo of the aircraft, along with Sgt Dean:

Sgt-Dean-of-No-274-Squadron-RAF-examines

The spaghetti scheme will add an extra level of interest to the colour scheme, so I hope I can do it justice - there's also some lovely detail in the photo showing wear and tear, which I shall do my best to replicate. Inspired by the photo, I'm also going to open up the panels on the port wing to show off the provided machine guns. I've already made the cut, which you can see here:

20211211-114543-1.jpg

Here's the finished article, which looks acceptable to my eye.

20211211-115340-1.jpg

After a very busy few weeks it's nice to be back at the bench, so I'll be working on this and the Skua today and tomorrow - wish me luck!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 9

Just now, Grey Beema said:

Roger, 

You can build this as a Hurricane of the 806 NAS Royal Navy Fighter Squadron, 269 Wing RAF, who fought in the Western Desert if you want to retain the Naval theme..

50785583458_f0af5fa01e.jpg

Tempting GB, but the spaghetti scheme is also compelling. Food for thought...

Lovely execution by the way - love the exhaust staining

• Like 1

Roger, 

I smiled to myself when you talk of your Hurricanes as my selection is very similar (all Airfix 1/48 with the exception of the Cork Sea Hurricane, Italeri, which I will change to the Airfix unless Alma bring one out sometime in the future.

BOB Hurricanes for Jeram, Gardner and Cork, Sea Hurricanes for Cork and Bruen, Trop Hurricane for Charlton.  Trying to hunt down two (think I have one) Hurricane IIbs to convert to Sea Hurricane IIbs for Bruen and Crosley.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Roger, 

I smiled to myself when you talk of your Hurricanes as my selection is very similar (all Airfix 1/48 with the exception of the Cork Sea Hurricane, Italeri, which I will change to the Airfix unless Alma bring one out sometime in the future.

BOB Hurricanes for Jeram, Gardner and Cork, Sea Hurricanes for Cork and Bruen, Trop Hurricane for Charlton.  Trying to hunt down two (think I have one) Hurricane IIbs to convert to Sea Hurricane IIbs for Bruen and Crosley.

Love it GB - we clearly share a common wheelhouse (but I think we knew that already!)

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo lovely choice Roger.  This is a cracking kit isn't it.   Really looking forward to this one.  Nice start. 

Chris

Chris,

Yours was the inspiration for this build, so I hope it turns out half as well as yours!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

As predicted I've taken the path of least resistance, and favoured the easy Hurri over the difficult Skua! Having had an extensive painting session last weekend, cockpit construction progressed rapidly. Having followed Auntie's colour callouts here's the initial construction:

20211218-153434.jpg

I next turned my attention to the port guns, which will be exposed. Here's the guns and ammunition boxes in place:

20211218-154517.jpg

You can see that I've scored the ammo belts to at least give an impression of separate links, which could have easily been moulded in...

Here's the upper wing posed in place just to see how she looks:

20211218-155946.jpg

Doesn't look too bad! Here's the starboard landing light in place:

20211218-160036.jpg

Here's a shot of the Yahu instrument panel, which also includes a nice PE compass (which strangely is not catered for in the kit):

20211218-161307.jpg

The assembly sequence is somewhat unusual in that the fuselage halves are joined, and then lowered onto the completed wing assembly. Here's the completed cockpit, complete with added harness and an oil wash (you can also see that compass!!):

20211218-165901.jpg

Finally, here's the state of progress after a satisfying day's work:

20211218-170901.jpg

Right, I'm off to continue watching the cricket, which is a day-night test at the beautiful Adelaide Oval, with England currently at 4-150 chasing a total of 473. It's bound to go downhill from here...

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8

Great work so far.  As I understand it, if you are going to put the Step in the down position, you need to open up the hand hold in the fuselage.  It was covered by a flap, which opened when the step was pulled down..

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Roger, the cockpit is looking lovely and the ammo feeds look great after your scoring fella. Strange Airfix didn't do that.   A very enjoyable kit and progressing very well.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris! It is surprising that they didn't incorporate such a simple detail, but an easy fix!

12 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Great work so far.  As I understand it, if you are going to put the Step in the down position, you need to open up the hand hold in the fuselage.  It was covered by a flap, which opened when the step was pulled down..

Thanks very much GB! I was pondering that exact issue earlier - I think I'll open her up to match the wing guns...

• Like 1

Hi All,

A pleasant day's toil at the bench today! Construction proceeded without any hitches, other than some minor gap filling:

20211219-104941.jpg

Here's everything masked and ready to go:

20211219-122040.jpg

Primer showed up the usual minor imperfections and rework required, which were duly dispatched:

20211219-125546.jpg

As the spaghetti scheme has an aluminium base, I chose to lay this down next along with a coating of aluminium for the heavy wear areas:

20211219-133019.jpg

I then applied masking fluid with a fine brush:

20211219-140741.jpg

Next up was the spaghetti itself. The colours for this scheme would have been locally applied, so I chose Dark Green and a home brew Red Brown ('roundel red??'):

20211219-142915.jpg

Doesn't look too bad? Once this had dried I then masked off for pre-shading:

20211219-145713.jpg

Aaaand the pre-shading :guitar:

20211219-150551.jpg

Looks a bit more rubbish than I remember, but never mind! Down went the Azure Blue, which sprayed beautifully (Vallejo aqueous acrylic, lightened with a little white for fading):

20211219-152823.jpg

And finally the Mid-Stone (AK Interactives), which was an absolute pig to spray. Here shown halfway through, which is pretty much where I gave up:

20211219-162308.jpg

We're getting there...

That's probably all until after Christmas now, so hope you all have a great time with family and friends, and best wishes for the season!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
Dark Green
  • Like 11

Wow  you did very well Roger, this has really left on and looking absolutely fantastic   the spaghetti scheme looks great and looking forward to the unmasking with the chipping too. Great work fella.

I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow  you did very well Roger, this has really left on and looking absolutely fantastic   the spaghetti scheme looks great and looking forward to the unmasking with the chipping too. Great work fella.

I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas. 

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - hope you have a great break with the family,

Stay safe,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

I've managed a few hours at the bench today, ahead of Xmas Eve festivities at the in-laws :tired:.

First up I finished off the application of the mid-stone, which was a little less awful to spray this time around!

20211224-110503.jpg

Next masking, using the tried and tested method:

20211224-113237.jpg

The Dark Earth sprayed rather well:

20211224-122256.jpg

And here's a couple of shots after unmasking:

20211224-123051.jpg

20211224-123039.jpg

I have to say I'm rather pleased with the effect of the spaghetti camo against the desert scheme. :guitar:

I decided to spray the walkway patches, rather than use the supplied decals. Here masked ready to spray:

20211224-123702.jpg

And after:

20211224-130239.jpg

Here's a final shot under a gloss coat, which will have plenty of time to dry before decals:

20211224-135524.jpg

At this rate I might sneak this one into my 2021 yearbook, which is here if anyone's interested:

This will be my last post before Xmas, so I hope you all have a restful, peaceful time with family (and of course, plenty of additions to the stash!)

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas,

Roger

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, mark.au said:

The Hurricane looks great Roger, the camouflage has come out particularly well.

Enjoy Christmas Eve, merry Christmas!

41 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Great job Roger..

Have a great Christmas..

Thanks for the kind words gents - much appreciated! Seasons greetings to you and your families,

Cheers,

Roger