Cromwell tank with whitewash

Npal21

After finishing my AFV CLUB Churchill tank I am planning on a simpler Tamiya kit for a change of pace. I bought a kit that came with Bison Decals and noticed a scheme that has only a white washed turret. This interested me as I am keen to try the hairspray technique for white wash. I have tried to find reference pics for this tank but haven't found any, only illustrations like the one below. Does anyone have any info on this example and hull type etc. I want to build this straight out of the box the only addition been p.e mesh screens and turret stowage boxes.  (No modifications). If this scheme isn't appropriate for the Tamiya kit I will pick another scheme.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  

spacer.png

Those markings are not appropriate for the Tamiya kit. The turret stowage bins dictate that this is a Type F hull with the later driver's hatch (mirror image of the hull gunner's hatch on the other side of the tank). The new driver's hatch forced the removal of the forward fender stowage bin, so the lost stowage capacity was replaced by adding bins to the turret. You'll also need to modify the engine deck to a later configuration.

As you want to build the Tamiya kit out of the box, one of the other decal options might be a better choice.

Earlier hull types survived in service as late as the Korean War but the Type C hull (Tamiya kit) really forces you to look at WWII options only (early Normandy period most likely).

The Tamiya kit doesn't really represent a type of Cromwell used operationally.  If it does, as John says it has limited utility.  This is largely down to the choice of a Type C hull, whether by design or through poor research.  A Type D would have been equally applicable to a Centaur IV, with which the Cromwell kit shares most parts, or a Cromwell VI for which Tamiya could have provided the parts but did not.

It is a Cromwell IV and probably directly copied from the Bovington museum example.  These were Centaur IIIs completed with Meteor engines, resulting in a hybrid build standard as they were not fully Cromwells.  Thinner rear hull, missing a rear damper etc.  As such they did not meet the Final Specification Battle Cromwell build standard set in Feb 44 and the Cromwells deployed on D Day were mostly built hurriedly after that date and most likely exclusively using Type D, E and F hulls. 

However, not enough FS tanks were available for D Day so some older ones were deployed.  This is the small operational window for the Tamiya kit.  But the older ones would have been replaced as soon as possible and as John says most likely by the end of the Normandy campaign, where  many were lost anyway.

I have a soft spot for the Centaur/Cromwell hybrids as many of them were built at English Electric in my home town. EE officially only received orders for Centaurs but after building around 120 to that standard, they started to fit Meteor engines and the bulk of their 'Centaur' order (several hundred) were completed as ersatz Cromwells. Most of the factory is now gone, including the 'tank sheds' which housed the original production line.

Looking at photos of worn whitewash and comparing it to HS finishes by the likes of Philip Stutcinskas and Mike Rinaldi, I'd say that they match very well. But be sure to tell them that they are wrong. 😉

On 12/12/2021 at 1:10 AM, Das Abteilung said:

The Tamiya kit doesn't really represent a type of Cromwell used operationally.  If it does, as John says it has limited utility.  This is largely down to the choice of a Type C hull, whether by design or through poor research.  A Type D would have been equally applicable to a Centaur IV, with which the Cromwell kit shares most parts, or a Cromwell VI for which Tamiya could have provided the parts but did not.

It is a Cromwell IV and probably directly copied from the Bovington museum example.  These were Centaur IIIs completed with Meteor engines, resulting in a hybrid build standard as they were not fully Cromwells.  Thinner rear hull, missing a rear damper etc.  As such they did not meet the Final Specification Battle Cromwell build standard set in Feb 44 and the Cromwells deployed on D Day were mostly built hurriedly after that date and most likely exclusively using Type D, E and F hulls. 

However, not enough FS tanks were available for D Day so some older ones were deployed.  This is the small operational window for the Tamiya kit.  But the older ones would have been replaced as soon as possible and as John says most likely by the end of the Normandy campaign, where  many were lost anyway.

InAccurate Armour do the D and F decks for 18 sheets which is pretty reasonable.  My Cromwell and Centaur were build out of the box as I thought I spent enough on aftermarket. With hindsight I should have addressed the decks, but I guess it’s a question of how OCD you are about this stuff!

You can fill and re-scribe the Tamiya engine deck to a Type D very easily.  The biggest pain are the new triangular plates around the lock key holes.  The Voyager etch set has some in.  While later Type Cs had the flat-top front trackguards as per the kit, these are more appropriate to D, E and F.

39 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

From a position of near total ignorance of the details that differentiate the various marks of Cromwell,  how does the Airfix kit stack up, obviously wheels aside?

I'll let you know over the next few weeks, as I'm about to make a start on one.

John.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

From a position of near total ignorance of the details that differentiate the various marks of Cromwell,  how does the Airfix kit stack up, obviously wheels aside?

Personally I think the Airfix Cromwell is slightly better than the Tamiya kit. Has the same issues with the engine deck as the Tamiya Cromwell. Look at getting a Resicast upgrade kit to resolve the most obvious issues and Accurate Armour do a replacement engine deck. I'm just getting all the bits to start one in a couple of months time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a joyful and over hydrated xmas with family, I have made a start on the Tamiya Cromwell kit. Been a 40°c day its too hot to work in my usual workspace in the shed, so I have bought a few things in and will start building the wheels etc. 

I won't do too much until I get the Accurate Armour sets, just keen to make a start.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive managed to make a start on this kit, very straightforward been Tamiya. I have added the filler caps and inspection plate to the rear hull. I still need to add the smoke discharge wiring. (Sorry, not the best photos!)

Hoping the Accurate Armour resin "F" deck kit arrive next week. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Npal21
  • Like 1

Don't forget that this is in the AFV Discussion forum. You need to move over to WIP now. Good luck with the build, and post a photo of the AA deck when you get it, to see if they have corrected the error.

John.

• Like 1