Mike Nesmith of the Monkees and MTV has died

bentwaters81tfw

• bentwaters81tfw changed the title to Mike Nesmith of the Monkees and MTV has died

Now that's sad news.

I'm of a generation that had very little pop music on tv, and when the Monkees tv show came on - in 1967  i believe - it was an exraordinary look into American culture and music.

By far and away for me the best monkees song was Last train to Clarksville, though I'm a believer, Pleasant Valley Sunday, Daydream Believer, and I'm not your stepping stone were all pretty decent pop songs.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

I'm not your stepping stone

Always my favorite, though this one. 

https://youtu.be/D9ZxRjItD1o

Somehow it always made me think and in its own way reminded me of the Rolling Stones “Paint it Black.”

Rest In Piece Mike.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

I loved The Monkees as a few year old… well before I heard the Beatles consciously. Over the years I’ve learned not to be surprised, given the song-writing talent that The Monkees had on board, but Nesmith was the genuine article. Sadly, I listened a lot to the Dolenz sings Nesmith album this summer, which was(is) brilliant, as was the love for “The Monkees Farewell Tour” they finished recently. RIP Mike Nesmith, and thank you for 50 years of unalloyed musical pleasure.

best,

M.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Always my favorite, though this one. 

http://Shades of Gray https://g.co/kgs/Lk6dqN

Somehow it always made me think and in its own way reminded me of the Rolling Stones “Paint it Black.”

Rest In Piece Mike.

I’ll give that one a listen, thanks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I’ll give that one a listen, thanks.

Seems the original link was no good. I changed it out. Im more referring to the tone of the songs thoughtful lyrics in comparison to “Paint it Black.” Not necessarily the sound/music comparison.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Seems the original link was no good. I changed it out. Im more referring to the tone of the songs thoughtful lyrics in comparison to “Paint it Black.” Not necessarily the sound/music comparison.  

Cheers, but I have it on a greatest hits CD - I'll listen to that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

He did write some great songs. I, too, have his greatest hits CD and have it on my IPod.

Two favourites are Joanne and Silver Moon.

Chris

In honesty I really didn't keep up with his post monkees career, I suspect the attraction of the rockier end of the market as it were claimed a lot more of my attention n the late '60's and the '70's.

• Like 2

One of my favourites groups from the mid 60's. Happy memories of walking past the RMP barracks in Germany singing "Hey Hey We're the Monkeys"......and then running like mad.

RIP Mike, and thanks.

John.