T-62 aftermarket tracks

Swiftnbold

Hopefully somone amongst the flock of wisdom will be able to help.

I have the Tamiya T-62 (yes I've read all the reviews) but need a set of a/m tracks because i mullered the kit ones beyond useable so...... i found a set of low price miniart wheels but still need a set of tracks, i can get a set of Miniart OMsh T-55 early but have a feeling that they wont match the sprocket of my miniart wheel set.

Can the Miniart early OMsh (37046)  be used on the T-62 (37060)  wheel set?

Thanks

Yes I believe they can.  The Tamiya kit had Omsh vinyl tracks so you could use the kit sprockets.  Miniart's T-62 wheel set was released before their Rmsh tracks so one might assume that it was intended to fit the Omsh tracks.  It also uses parts from their T-54/55 kits, which all came with Omsh at the time.  AFAIK the only difference between the T-55 and T-62 sets is the inclusion of 4 large-hub wheels in the T-62 set rather than the 2 for the T-55.  T-62 had large-hub wheels on the first and last wheel stations each side whereas T-55 had them only on the first.  Another thing that Tamiya goofed, as they also did in their later T-55.

Be warned that Miniart's Omsh tracks are not workable.  Their later Rmsh are.  Your other alternative in plastic are the Trumpeter products but there is no guarantee they will fit either Tamiya or Miniart parts.  And they have both workable and non-workable versions.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply.

I have the Miniart wheels in my possession, they also come with the RMsh sprockets supplied, what confuses me is that the downloadable instructions from miniart 37048 for the later OMsh equipped T-62 state that 90 links are needed for the T54/5 and 96 for the T-62. The dimensions are identical for the early and late kit with the same track length but with more links? 

Edited by Swiftnbold
Spelling

I'm not sure that I see what you're getting at here.  T-62 was longer than T-55, wider too, for a larger turret ring.  So a longer track run would be expected.  It was a completely different tank, although related to the T-55 by virtue of a lot of common parts.  Designed as a much simpler fall-back to the expensive and complex T-64 in case that project failed and as a means of rapidly fielding the 115mm smoothbore gun to counter Chieftain.

@Das Abteilung,

Thanks for your perseverance. I've just realised my confusion stems from my misreading the dimensions. 😐

The early version kit contains 190 links so is 12 short for the T62, I've ordered a set for a future build and may change this scheme to the later Yom Kippur war so go for the RMsh set as the sprockets are included in the wheel set I have.

Thanks again.

Ref the wheel hubs.

When I look at images of the 62 with OMsh, I find it difficult to see the difference in the hub size between the test of the running gear, however when I look at the RMsh 62 I can see the larger front and rear hub.

Is it just my bad research or did every T-62 out of the factories have the larger hubs?

Edited by Swiftnbold
Incomplete sentence