Cosworth DFV Engine CAD/3D print

nick

Some lovely work going on here. I think the 3D printing lark is very exciting. Very much looking forward to seeing how this develops.

If you are looking at making some improved parts for the Tamiya Lotus 49, the gearbox needs more help than just about anything else. There is (was) a resin gearbox available some years ago, I used one when I built my Lotus 49T.

Great idea you have about the internal cockpit walls and decent looking tyres, best of luck to you.

Atb, Steve.

On 12/28/2021 at 9:33 PM, triumphfan said:

Some lovely work going on here. I think the 3D printing lark is very exciting. Very much looking forward to seeing how this develops.

If you are looking at making some improved parts for the Tamiya Lotus 49, the gearbox needs more help than just about anything else. There is (was) a resin gearbox available some years ago, I used one when I built my Lotus 49T.

Great idea you have about the internal cockpit walls and decent looking tyres, best of luck to you.

Atb, Steve.

GT6 eh? I only recently sold my ‘76 spitfire. 

thanks for the kind words. I’m drawing the gearbox, but struggling to find anything at all on the ZF gearbox, so might have to with the slightly later Hewland version. 

Nick

Photos of the original resin replacement come up on a google search of Lotus 49 ZF gearbox. Not sure if they would be of any use to you?

The GT is almost a family member and has been with us 17 years now. I had a MkIV Spit that I converted to GT6 spec using a MkIII from a stalled (failed) restoration. Also put a Ford 5 speed 'box in it. Such a shame that Triumph never did one from the factory, it was a lovely thing.

With the advent of 3D manufacture, maybe I will end up with a MkIII GT6 kit in my lifetime 🤔

Atb, Steve.

Here we go again. I feel duty bound to tackle the gearbox next as the Tamiya one is so far out.

HOWEVER when I mock-up the drive shaft position from the tamiya item, it looks like this:-

51791777278_cfc115495d_b.jpg

Now I understand why it's like this, and and here is the culprit

51791784168_1aa77a634f_b.jpg

What I don't understand is why they did this at all.

For our younger viewers this was a world effectively without Radio control. OK it did exist but it was extremely primitive (anyone else old enough to remember the telephone dial stuff?) and expensive.

So what we have here is an expensive kit for the day, with extremely fragile, spindly suspension holding big heavy wheels sticking out at each corner, with a kamikaze battery/electric motor setup that you can only turn off by reaching under the car, that would effectively smash itself to bits on the first thing it encountered trundling off in an uncontrolled straight-ish line?

SO whilst I can correct the gearbox, it means all the suspension will be out.

So I can either:-

1. put lipstick on a pig and make the tamiya gearbox geometry look a bit more 'busy' and use the kit suspension as is.

or

2. Do it properly and make an accurate gearbox and then draw all the suspension too. If I did this I reckon I would need to make the driveshafts non-articulated so they would provide most of the mechanical strength to hold the wheels on.

Course if I had my CNC machine, making all this form metal is the way to go.

Those of who know me will already know I ain't going for option 1 :)

This is the bloody Bentley all over again, as soon as you fix one thing you discover it knocks on and you end up remaking most of the model.

Nick

Watch this space.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nick said:

(anyone else old enough to remember the telephone dial stuff?)

LOL ... Gawd, they'd be youngsters!   I remember air-raid sirens and bomb shelters, fighter planes being trucked past our house and later riding behind many a steam engine across the Forth Bridge.   

By coincidence I built that Tamiya Lotus 49 Nick and my youngest thought it was a neat toy ... end of story.

I was going to also suggest that a hacksaw, some files and some metal scraps might be used to fabricate the suspension but I won't ... no, this is the new world.

Happy  New Year everyone ... this has to get better.

Frank

1 hour ago, albergman said:

I was going to also suggest that a hacksaw, some files and some metal scraps might be used to fabricate the suspension but I won't ... no, this is the new world.

Hi Frank I was considering printing some inserts for Ali tubes actually, so nearly!

Happy New Year anyway!🥳

I read somewhere that due to the electric engine in the Tamiya Lotus 49 the engine had to be larger to fit the electric engine. as the engine is bigger the cockpit/body had to be bigger as well. People addingthe engine from a none electric kit has commented that it look small in the 49.

I have the same problem with an early 1/20 scale Lotus 78 kit. It also had an electric engine so it look awful.

4 hours ago, Orso said:

I read somewhere that due to the electric engine in the Tamiya Lotus 49 the engine had to be larger to fit the electric engine. as the engine is bigger the cockpit/body had to be bigger as well. People addingthe engine from a none electric kit has commented that it look small in the 49.

I have the same problem with an early 1/20 scale Lotus 78 kit. It also had an electric engine so it look awful.

That may be true, I’ll measure it. Currently I’m toying with building the body too, the kit version is nasty. 

Nick

Hi All, I've finished the base DFV now, so I treated myself to a few renders to celebrate :)

51796989931_02c09c2027_b.jpg

51796989946_70586febfa_b.jpg

51797355649_4a373f639c_b.jpg

51797134708_ca30a409c6_b.jpg

I've realised that there are many variations in the castings for the oil and water pumps as well as the location of the mechanical fuel pump based on both time and vehicle adaptations.

So I've got a reasonably accurate stand-alone engine here that I think works in own right, but I will definitely have to produce specific versions for specific cars, as I suspected to make the plumbing fit.  I'll probably make gearboxes and suspension parts that require modification as a result too next.

So I've got a Lotus 49B already, which isn't the best thing to start with as it's probably the worst Tamiya 1/12th F1 car they ever made.

I do have a Brabham BT44 on order, so that's the most likely first victim! 

• Like 13

Any idea if you will be doing a DFV for the Tamiya 1/12 Lotus 72D 1972 kit? I purchased a Thunder Valley F1 metal engine for my kit when they were being made but I think yours will surpass that handily!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @nick have you made any progress with the DFV or the Lotus 49 lately?

I'm getting towards needing an engine for my Lotus 72E so it would be good to know if you're anywhere near ready to sell them.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi Nick, very nice work, looks like we've been on the same project.

Take a look at my attempt (JonnyC63) on here. Maybe we can swap info?

Also the 1/4 scale Tyrrell 003 I'm building to go with it on Twitter @collinge_ jon

Jonny

Hi all, thought I should check in as I’ve been quiet for a while. 

I’ve been busy with a few other things including selling a house, figuring out a retirement plan from my day job,  losing a beloved Labrador, getting a new puppy and even building a few models for light relief.

that’s all getting close to conclusion now, so will be back on track with the engine kits I have waiting soon.

the only fly in the ointment is that China has had another covid lockdown, which means my big printer which was scheduled for April delivery is now delayed. I don’t want to release my engines until I have sufficient print capacity, so you may have to wait a little longer unfortunately. 

regards,

Nick

• Like 1

That's a busy and stressful time to be sure Nick, I'm glad you seem to be over "the hump" of all those problems (although I'm sure a new puppy and new house will continue to throw them up, literally in the case of the former!).

I'm just about to do the retire thing myself so understand it's a time of a little uncertainty but for me it's also exciting.

I look forward to more updates when you can.

Dave 

• Like 1

Lot’s going on. Sorry to hear about your Labrador. I too am in wait of the Jupiter. I’m now counting un June or July instead of April. They havent even completed the super early bird shipments planned for January/February.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/17/2021 at 8:17 PM, nick said:

OK I’ll drop them an email, thanks for the link. Do you know if they are still active? The website looks to be at least 10 years old. 

regards,

Nick

I noticed that you may have tried to contact Speed Details. Please try again. The website is still active: https://sites.google.com/site/speeddetails/speed-details/b-publications/5-plumbing-and-wiring-strategies-for-the-dfv

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I’ve been busy getting two new larger printers configured and modified so I can consistently produce things.

I’m getting to the point where I’m happy with results now, so I thought I would share some first shots of the production 1/8th and 1/12th DFV engines. 

these are still ‘draft’ so aren’t printed at proper resolution yet, they are just test pieces for the very busy build plates I’m developing, so just a taster really.

The important thing is that these are in the real world now - physical prints with paint on, not just renders. There’s still a few corrections to be made but it’s not far off now. 
52561426241_67abdda7aa_h.jpg

52560975482_08b7a3258b_h.jpg

52561426186_65f02f2049_h.jpg

52561722409_8d25b93623_h.jpg

52561426186_65f02f2049_h.jpg

52560503432_aab72be329_h.jpg

stand by…

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party here!  Some excellent CAD work going on, which reminds me back in the late 1970's trying to sit my City and Guilds in Technical Illustration. A course, I sadly never completed but which stood me in good stead as a  modelmaker.

I too remember the early Tamiya kits with the motor supplied, yes, why? I built the Lotus 49 and Rindt's Hart Ski hill climb car. I have the Hill 49B kit in the stash.

I'm liking the printed parts very much.

Colin