Cosworth DFV Engine CAD/3D print

nick

I've finally made a start on drawing a Cosworth DFV that will work with a lot of Tamiya 1/12th kits.

I'm drawing the CAD 1:1 as is my preference which will give me some flexibility on scale. The idea is that I will produce versions to suit the majority of Tamiya (and possibly other kits) that use the DFV engine.

Anyway, very early days, this where 2 days work gets you to:-

51737794318_6ebe7228be_b.jpg

I've got most of the dimensions and geometry figured out now which is the hard part, so I'm just working on the detailing of the heads and block. The heads and cam carriers are both identical with different end plates which is a real bonus. 

I've got the Andrew Noakes book now, which only has about 4 useful photos in it, and I've done my usual trawl of the internet, so once again if anyone has a stash of DFV images (or drawings - you never know!) all contributions gratefully received :)

Thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 5

Good to see this progressing Nick, I can feel my wallet twitching already!

Any objections if I put some DFV pictures in this thread or would you prefer them sent by PM?

Dave

3 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

Good to see this progressing Nick, I can feel my wallet twitching already!

Any objections if I put some DFV pictures in this thread or would you prefer them sent by PM?

Dave

Hi Dave, I’m sure others would like to see them too so put them on thread by all means if it’s not too much trouble. 

regards,

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks Nick, you have probably seen most of these but I'll put them up anyway.

spacer.png

Fuel metering unit

spacer.png

Love the surgical way this is being handled!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's a start, all pictures used for reference purposes only and some obviously have their source on them.

Dave

This is a bit odd, I suspect that the cylinder spacing isn't even, I have the cylinder pitch as 104.1mm but looking at this (and other) images of the block I believe the centre two cylinders are further apart than the rest. Anyone ever heard this before?

51739864226_2fac4b9bbb_c.jpg

Nick

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, nick said:

This is a bit odd, I suspect that the cylinder spacing isn't even, I have the cylinder pitch as 104.1mm but looking at this (and other) images of the block I believe the centre two cylinders are further apart than the rest. Anyone ever heard this before?

51739864226_2fac4b9bbb_c.jpg

Nick

Strangely, now I've noticed that, everything suddenly seems to fit where it didn't quite before. Who would have thought?

Nick

12 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Look photo in this advertisement: https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/82110/damaged-dfv-cylinder-head

You can see difference in cylinder head.

Yes I’m sure now. It’s about 6mm by my reckoning. Haven’t come across this before.

The limited data I have all just quotes the 104.1mm cylinder offset, no mention of the different offset between the centre pair of cylinders. 

Nick

1 hour ago, PeteH1969 said:

Nick

Are you modelling the engine in sections with sub assemblies or as one solid?

From what I can see of your render it looks very good.

Pete

Pete,

It’s sub assemblies. As a general principle if something is a separate component on the real thing, then it is in my model. Don’t know if you saw my F40 engine but that was around 600 parts in total in the end. 

this will be less as it’s a more simple engine in many regards. 

Nick

• Like 1

I've incorporated the pesky cylinder offset into everything now and have completed the Cam carriers today as well as revising the valve covers. The head assemblies are a bit odd in as much as they are a sandwich of the cam carriers at the top, then the conventional cylinder heads, separate castings,  all clamped down (without a  head gasket) onto the wet liners/block. I know there's no real need to model the internals of these things, but I can't really help myself to be honest :).

51741327727_b0a3247b53_b.jpg

51742167516_c2c0339cff_b.jpg

I was struggling to reconcile the photos with the drawings, but the cylinder offset has suddenly trued everything up. so hopefully progress will be a bit quicker now. I'm making good progress on the block and it should be plain sailing after that.

• Like 5

Got the heads done today. Cracking on now. I reckon I can knock an engine like this out in about a week or so now.

51746665428_f299a6cc5a_b.jpg

51747309835_b4abc4cb42_b.jpg

51747073819_6c85a214cf_b.jpg

I can't really help myself with the internals, I know they will never been seen, but something has to fill the space up, so why not an approximation of what's really there?

I know. I'll keep taking the pills.

Nick

• Like 6

Wow, when I made the suggestion to you do a DFV back in July, I did not think it would acually happen!

So based on that can we have a Coventy Climax FWMV in 1/12 next please!

Looking good, as do all your CAD and prints!

Malc.

• Like 1

Finished the Oil Pan/Lower Crankcase today. A surprisingly complex beastie actually in the end.

51753795220_42cd76a8e9_b.jpg

51752095377_e8059116c4_b.jpg

51753795250_7936c35aca_b.jpg

51753566169_48e47508e7_b.jpg

51753795280_92c6534e3b_b.jpg

working from a single set of ancient, ropey thumbnail sized E-bay images didn't help either, so this may well be out. Making stuff up doesn't cover it.

Nick

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Orso said:

OK I’ll drop them an email, thanks for the link. Do you know if they are still active? The website looks to be at least 10 years old. 

regards,

Nick

11 hours ago, nick said:

Do you know if they are still active? The website looks to be at least 10 years old.

They pop up on the F1M.com forum from time to time so I think they are still around.

Dave