1/24 DG Artwork Miniatures U.S. Special Forces

theaa2000

Hi All,

After my recent Land Rover build I had the bug to build something else in 1/24 scale (and to use some of the A/M stuff that didn't get used on the LR build. At the same time, I remembered some really cool, dynamic looking figures from DG Artwork Minatures, so I put together a plan to build a Toyota Hilux (or Hilux like pickup) in an amush/encounter with a few of the operators from DGs "Black Cohort" range..... strange names are apparently a feature.

The figures aren't explicitly stated to be a specific nationality or force, but looking at the gear/helmets/weapons, they're clearly some US based force. So I chose to paint them in some variant of MultiCam/OCP. With my previous 1/16 Legends figure, I used a sample image from what was clearly a very new piece of OCP which was quite green. This showed in the final build - this guy clearly looks like he's using a brand new uniform on his first op. Looking at images of more used OCP uniforms, it seems to get dirty and fade towards a browner tone which hides a few of the 6 colours in the scheme.

I didn't keep a record of my painting process, but once the figures were assembled (minus the heads), seams filled and mounted on toothpicks, I primed them all in MRP-161 Dark brown. Then I used a Vallejo Model Air Dark & Light Brown mixed on a wet palette to highlight the top edges & folds. From there I basically pulled out my Vallejo greens, browns & tans and started mixing up colours on the wet palette until they looked right (to me at least) and started painting 1 colour on each figure at a time before finishing with the two chocolate brown & deck tan small dotted colours. From here, I used Vallejo Khaki grey as it is a very good match for the Coyote Brown straps & bags. Sorry if this wasn't the best explanation, but if anyone has any questions about colours, I will try my best to answer them!

Everybody smile frown for a group photo!

IRgyB3u.jpg

So from left to right:

WrxknDw.jpgoienF3A.jpgqFIQ75I.jpg

Aside from the camo painting that all of them received, I try to mix it up in terms of weapon painting, boots & gloves. This chap, who I think looks a little like Dr Strange/Benedict Cumberbatch, is going to firing from cover having exited the front passenger side of the pickup truck.

eVP7h5R.jpgkzortDG.jpgsPR7vup.jpg

This guy with his anatomically questionable posture will also be on the passenger side twisting his way to get a better look at whoevers shooting at him - he's also missing his magazine as that is a separate piece for him alone for .... reasons? I think his face probably came out the best although my photography probably doesn't show it.

NsCBhjk.jpg9XVCOVf.jpgIc1RQ8u.jpggPDvt96.jpg

4 photos for this chap! - he will be leaping from the bed of the pickup. Again the face is pretty good even if he looks a bit pale and haunted. Also, despite being the only one with a helmet, he obviously thought wearing it would spoil his hairstyle :D 

Os4ZMhN.jpgvIfdw6D.jpgFF5z1ve.jpg

Finally, our driver will be leaning out from behind the drivers side front wheel/fender. This is the figure that made me chose the range since it's such a cool pose - much better than most stiff upright figures you normally see in 1/35th.

All the faces were basecoated in a few shades of Vallejo flesh colours before Abt. 502 oils were used for more advanced flesh tones, blending, shadows, the whites of the eyes and the pupils. Finally everything received a coat of VMS flat varnish (my new favourite flat clear!!) before a few drops of Tamiya X-22 for the glossy eyes/scopes.

I'll start posting updates soon on the diorama where I plan to take an Aoshima Hilux and cut it up so I can have the doors opened....we'll see how well that goes soon enough I gues!

Thanks for looking!

• Like 22

Excellent finishing and animation, look forward to following your work on the "Hilux"

On 12/10/2021 at 3:14 PM, theaa2000 said:

they're clearly some US based force

Or Private Military Contractors from any corner of the globe.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:53 AM, Homer said:

Congratulations on some fine painting they look great well done 👏 

Thank you Homer - these were a little easier than my usual 1/35 figures so that really helped the process!

On 12/11/2021 at 1:13 PM, KonaDawg said:

Very cool, well done.

Thank you!

58 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Excellent finishing and animation, look forward to following your work on the "Hilux"

Or Private Military Contractors from any corner of the globe.

Thanks Richard, much appreciated - I've just been planning out the diorama to get the layout right.

That's true, they could be PMC - I'm hoping to find some 1/24 US flag patches similar to the ones Live Resin has just released for 1/35.

• Like 1

Excellent result with some very impressive painting. I've just started figure painting myself and if I ever manage to get even close to these I'll be more than happy. Thanks for sharing 

• Thanks 1

Very impressive results. I really like your painting techniques, and the results speak for themselves. I must have a crack at some figures again soon, not touched any for over 40 years!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Anirudh,

These are very nice (and your website a thing of beauty). 

I'd like to paint some camouflage uniforms but I fret about it. Have you painted and shaded these and then added the additional colours, or what? I'd be interested to know.

Alan

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 5:47 PM, Muchmirth said:

I don’t know you but I do hate you!!! Your work is stunning, far too good!!! Very jealous. I need more practice. 

Thank you! These figures are good but my earliest attempts were very poor - practice, especially on good resin figures/heads, has really helped.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:49 PM, simont382 said:

Excellent result with some very impressive painting. I've just started figure painting myself and if I ever manage to get even close to these I'll be more than happy. Thanks for sharing 

Thanks Simon! I think the same thing when I look at some really impressive figures, like the ones in AK's Figure Painting FAQ book!

On 12/14/2021 at 7:32 AM, Terry1954 said:

Very impressive results. I really like your painting techniques, and the results speak for themselves. I must have a crack at some figures again soon, not touched any for over 40 years!

Terry

Thank you Terry!

On 12/16/2021 at 9:15 AM, Angus Tura said:

Anirudh,

These are very nice (and your website a thing of beauty). 

I'd like to paint some camouflage uniforms but I fret about it. Have you painted and shaded these and then added the additional colours, or what? I'd be interested to know.

Alan

Cheers Alan. Glad you like the website as well!

These figures were basecoated originally in MRP-161 Dark Brown which I intended to use as the Multicam base colour, but it was too dark, so I went over it Vallejo Model Air 71.026 via an airbrush. Over this I applied highlights where they would likely be (tops of clothing folds, high points etc) using Model Air 71.027 + 71.026. Then only the very highest points received another set of highlights with pure 71.026. With this base I started work on the 2 green and other brown colours (71.010, 71.095 & 71.024) before using a home mixed deck tan and chocolate brown+grey colour for the very smallest light/dark camo dots. The colours above were changed in tone somewhat on each figure/item of clothing to show that the uniforms have faded differently etc - I used a wet pallete for blending amongst various colours - What helped me most was having a sample of the pattern (printed sample image) and good references to match against. This is how I picked up that a lot of colours fade or dirty towards a brown colour anyway so Multicam might start with 6+ colours but doesn't always stay that way.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...