Beriev Be-12PS Chaika "Seagull" (Modelsvit 1/72)

Salutations, 

Today I would like to present the largest model I've ever made! It is a Be-12PS in Ukrainian Naval Aviation markings. The build spanned 4 months of occasional work due to my constant flux of motivation to continue assembling these parts which fought me at pretty much every step of the way. However after liberal application of filler putty and careful sanding, I got the joins looking smooth enough to paint. I have to say that landing gear door and support assembly was one of the most complex subassemblies I've put together so far and it was a true test of my modelling mettle. The kit came with masks which behaved well. I feel accomplished for seeing this project to the end and giving it a suitably grimy and well used aura!

These aircraft have been in service since the 1970s and reportedly, Ukraine still has 2 in service. The rest had to be left behind when Russia annexed the Crimea in 2014.

As you can see, this beast takes up a whole half of the top of my drawer display area! I've placed it next to my PB4Y-2 and Revell Arizona tucked off in the corner. 😀 I have plans to make a seascape base for my next floatplane...

Thanks for looking and I hope you like it!

midOEmk.jpeg

DllcebVX0AAx0WJ?format=jpg&name=large

2hal84j.jpeg

GLxXwMl.jpeg

TKMtsl9.jpeg

TVBaY5f.jpeg

bpTOjtD.jpeg

O3ItoLu.jpeg

ts24XU0.jpeg

Edited by Pyradus
  • Like 72
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

16 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Impressive looking model (and aeroplane).

16 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Yes I do like it, a lot! Excellent looking Chaika in Ukranian colours.:like:.  I have one of these and I agree with you, it takes a bit of work but it makes a fantastic replica when finished.

Pete

16 hours ago, Remus389 said:

This soviet beast looks impressive even as a model. 😎👍

14 hours ago, Homer said:

Congratulations on all your hard work, she looks excellent well done 👏 

11 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

I have one of these in the pile, nice to see one built, good work.

Regards Glenn.

10 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

That's lovely work. I think there is something really purposeful about how the Be-12 looks, and yours is a great rendition. Well done!

5 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Looks fantastic! I’m another with 5his kit in the stash..

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

Exactly what I had in mind when I saw the topic title: grey, grimy, and gorgeous!

Thank you everyone for your kind compliments. And for those with this kit still in the stash, I hope I've provided some inspiration to dig it out and take another look at it. 😉

Wow, never seen one of these built up and that's spectacular! Love the weathering and the colours look great.

Tremendous effort.

Eng

• Thanks 1