Spitfire Mk1, P9398 Al Deere's 'Kiwi 2' - 1:72 Airfix Kit A68206

After my 35 years absence from modelling, a second aircraft has landed on the BoB shelf to join the fabric wing Hurricane L1592 (5 weeks ago actually, I find the modelling more compelling than the photography of same!). It's Al Deere in P9398, the Spitfire in which he had the famous 'head on' collision with Oberfeldwebel Johann Illner with both surviving the incident. A common build, sorry guys but it is a nice one for the BoB shelf. Build is OoB except for decals. Questionable Print Scale (so no starboard view) and Tech Mod technical stencils which are excellent. I found the kit lovely in areas and annoying in others. The next AF Spit from this molding will have the raised, upper wing, fixings for the .303 MG access panels instantly cut off and a slight recess drilled! I found the dihedral an issue and it had to be adapted to give the 6 degrees which is as important to the beauty of the aircraft as are it's elliptical wing surfaces. The huge WW1 trenches in front of the ailerons and flaps were filled and scribed as well as possible with my limited but growing experience. The panels lines are huge on this kit and in future I might fill and scribe them if I build again. A Tamiya 1:72 is near completion and I would rate them equally I think? (I just bought another for stash). Also a KP Mk1b is under construction. Me no like this much 🥴 (comments then when this is posted for viewing). After an email conversation with Eduard about tiny 1:44 scale resin Hurricane wheels for their lovely Hurristory 1:72 (you know the ones!), a Mk1 from them is on the way but no time scale. It is coming and it should be a delight when it lands.

0c0d92363f94931ec92076a11e5c045e.jpg

9866d88b1750027aae9b34fe274eff22.jpg

526cd5832882ea4979539808f89bdf82.jpg

The Pilot is from the Hurricane kit to replace the Orc that came with the kit (see my Avatar).

ffecfd800f6d8123fb4a4b796424dcba.jpg

b1e9fd72d1beee372ac7c619a68c0306.jpg

A bit of blue paper towel and he is ready for the 'off' in the sunny summer that 1940 provided.

Big thanks to all you guys, present & lost to us, for the information provided in helping me with this build👍👌

Regards,

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C
  • Like 29

20 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Yeah images aren't embedded. Using Pinterest you need the links to look like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b1/e9/fd/b1e9fd72d1beee372ac7c619a68c0306.jpg

instead of this:

Thanks Adam, forgot to go into the actual image in Pintrest. I had no problem last posted model. Age sneaking up unawares on me is a nuisance! 🥴🤣

Regards,

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C

Excellent build!

:clap2::clap2:

The Mk1's of BoB fame are some of the most beautiful of the entire Spitfire family (IMHO).

Sometime, I may check the dihedral on my Oob build of the same kit - very likely I will see the lack of it!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I too, am coming out of a no build phase and it seems as if some of the things I used to be able to do have left my brain.  I am almost finished with a Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire but am still working on my screwups that will be detailed in the WIP.  Your Spitfire looks great and your skills from 35 years ago still remain.  It doesn't look like a second build.  It looks like an experienced modeler had fun with an Airfix kit and built and finished a great model.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1