Tomahawk Exhaust Pipes?

dogsbody

I seem to recall that this came up once before, with no real solution offered. All I can suggest is REXx metal ones, with some very careful reshaping. I'd buy 2 or 3 sets to allow for failed attempts, though!

John

3 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

Looks like you may have to be creative. CMK have fishtail exhausts for the Special Hobby kit which might be persuaded to fit:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMQ72396?result-token=5O0uh

Yeah, that may work. Just have to fab up those little extra bits. 

Thanks!

Chris

For the British type fishtail exhaust for an  Allison engine

Tomahawks Airircobras and Mustang are close to same 

While you can try  modifications to the fishtail stacks to the type in the photo the seem unique to the Tomahawks and never see them made in a kit or aftermarket..  I've asked but no one's ever made them

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rexx-72023-bell-p-39-airacobra-fishtail-exhaust-pipes--1107789

• Like 1

@dogsbody

Wow, Chris- never seen that type before! I do not envy your task one little bit in trying to replicate those in 1/72 scale! Maybe taking a set of P-40 fishtail exhausts and grafting on bits from a Beaufughter porcupine exhaust onto the top of each modified fishtail exhaust stack? Maybe if you could make a pair of  exhaust stacks, you could cast enough pairs to do a complete set? Possibly taking Mossie exhausts and filing a depression in the center of each stack to make that 'Y' shaped exhaust?

Mike 

Are those some sort of early suppressed exhausts for nighttime use?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Are those some sort of early suppressed exhausts for nighttime use?

Not that I know of. I only noticed it a couple years ago while reading something @Carl V sent me, about the early days of No. 400 Squadron RCAF, after they were in Britain.

Not all of their Tomahawks had those style of pipes but some did.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Seeing as the middle 'fin' seems to be hollow as well, it may be something to ask a 3D friend to help with... 

(designwise it's getting the shape on one correct and then multiplying that)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Seeing as the middle 'fin' seems to be hollow as well, it may be something to ask a 3D friend to help with... 

(designwise it's getting the shape on one correct and then multiplying that)

Any 3D printer types out up for a challenge?

Chris

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Any 3D printer types out up for a challenge?

Hoo, boy- that's going to be a real challenge! After looking at the closeup photo again, it appears that the space between the 'Y' is open? So you've got basically two flattened pipe/flanges  with an opening between them,  as well as a pretty prominent weld seam? I would love to have seen how they made the originals! (If you manage to scratchbuild a set, Chris, I promise we will come visit you at the Home for Criminally Insane Modelers!)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected text
  • Haha 1