Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird (04967) 1:48

Mike

1 hour ago, Keith T said:

a pitiful lack of detail in the undercarriage bays and many other inaccuracies.

I'm going to have to disagree with that, as there's a decent amount of detail in those bays, which I've checked with photos.  Of course it's simplified due to the necessities of injection moulding, but once the bays are in, have their gear legs done (adding some hosing around the place), they should look fine.  I'm not sure what you were expecting from injection moulded parts?  PE or resin fidelity? :shrug:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm not sure what you were expecting from injection moulded parts?  PE or resin fidelity? :shrug:

I fully agree with you Mike. During my 3D model generation one of the most time consuming part was the NLG bay modelling because it is too complex to put all details. Even I added the majority of the details still it looks not fully complete.

2066.jpg

2458.jpg

Serkan

• Like 3

Afterburner did a good decal sheet with about 9 options and enough marking for 2 aircraft. I did a Det 4 Testors, and passed the rest of the sheet on.

If this is an improvement on Testors, all well and good, but I don't mind the old stuff. With a little patience it scrubs up OK.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Julien said:

Please tell the less informed of us what these are?

I'm sorry if my comments on examining my kit sounded like I was attacked Revell for their efforts in producing it., but after waiting so long for an improvement on the old Testors kit,  I feel that the opportunity to offer an accurate, modern kit has been missed.

I hear that the kit designer actually died before the design was completed and much documentation was lost, so that might be a partial explanation.

Inaccuracies I noted before putting my kit away included the curvature of the cockpit transparencies, especially the RIO's, which should be totally flat.

The contours of area immediately behind behind the cockpit, including the fairing housing the Star-tracker window, is a tricky to capture and seems in need of work to achieve the proper shape.   The airframe at Duxford offers very good views of this feature.

The option to model two versions of the radome area is very welcome, but only the different top halves are included - the lower halves are also different on the real aircraft.   The real aircraft also has a surprising amount of raised detail to interupt the apparently smooth exterior and it would have been very nice if this had been included in the model.

We'll have to disagree on the level of detail Revell have included/not included in the undercarriage bays... but most many companies are now managing to capture a better level of detail than this - even Airfix has made strides in this area recently (aftermarket to the rescue!)

I'm have to disagree that the inlet spikes in the kit are sharp' - not in my kit... I wouldn't want to be poked in the eye by one, but it would take considerable force to scratch skin with them.  The ends will need building up and reshaping before properly representing the real hing.

The description of 'Separate control surfaces' could be misunderstood as providing the option to build the model with these surface deflected.

In fact, a large part of the outer elevons is actually moulded as part of the wing, and all the control surfaces can only be installed in the neutral position (without cutting and creating our own mounts).

Look, don't get me wrong here... this kit will build up into an impressive model of this iconic aircraft - and may offer scratch-builders and aftermarket opportunities to those of us that crave accuracy and detail... but ANY two-foot long representation of this beautiful aircraft will be impressive...

My point is, that such an impression is likely to be due to the sheer impact of the Blackbird itself, not the quality of this Revell kit.

My apologies if I have offended anyone.

K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the review Mike and cheers for the grief it will cause!!! I now know that I really want one, however, where on earth will I keep it without SWMBO finding it?? It's not a small box that I can add to a carefully re-arranged stash to make it look as though it's been there ages which apparently some people do, not me of course!?! Looking forward to this one

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Keith T said:

My apologies if I have offended anyone.

I wouldn't worry about it, Revell already has your money, they're probably not that bothered whether you build it or not 😉

• Haha 3

Which planes are you going to choose?

I really wanted to do 61-7975 as its less than 30 minutes from me, but so far no-one has a sheet containing it, so I might go with 7978 as its left rudder is on 61-7975. I'll probably build my Testors up too, maybe 17980.

Not likely to see mine for a few weeks though and quite tempted to then compare with the bird at March,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...