Classic British six and eight wheeled lorry kits - what's available out there?

bootneck

I have recently become inspired to build a British six or eight wheeled vehicle but I'm not finding much luck in searches.  I can find six and eight wheeler American trucks but not so much on classic 1950s and 1960s British stuff.  I have googled and looked at Shapeways but anything I do find seem to be historic and long out of production.

Can anyone help with my search in finding something that is currently available?   I'm not sure of a scale; however, I would like to find something that has decent chassis and axle details, perhaps even engine detail as well.   I am hoping to find something that I can order for delivery by Crimbo.

cheers,
Mike

I think you need to go find and join one of the special groups dedicated to diecast vehicles. There are some on Facebook I'm told

My no.1 son customises diecast cars, vans, pick-ups and occasionally trucks. Although he chooses the vehicle mostly for the body work a few weeks ago he showed me a tilt-bed car transporter he's working on. The base vehicle was chosen for the accuracy of the rear chassis and the tilt-bed. The make of the diecast model vehicle as some real odd named one and he got it via the Facebook group he's on

What scale are you looking at , ASAM models do a large range of white metal classic six and eight wheelers in 1/48 . They used to be called A Smith auto models. They have Fodens , ERF's etc.

Thanks Andrew, I shall look for them but I'm not comfortable with building or working with models in metal.  I would prefer injection moulded or maybe resin; however, from the lack of responses, I am starting to assume nobody had produced such vehicles in those materials.   Is there no interest in building Large (not scale) British vehicles as plastic kits?   I am new to vehicle modelling but I would have expected to see kits of large vehicles such as AEC,  Albion, Leyland, Scammell and Thornycroft; much as aircraft enthusiast could get Avro, Fairey, Hawker and Supermarine etc.

cheers,
Mike

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

If you're interested in 4mm-1/76 Mike, Road Transport Images do a large range of classic trucks and you can mix and match cabs, chassis, wheels etc....

https://www.roadtransportimages.com/

The chassis are fairly basic but you do end up with a nice looking model.

Keith

Ooh these are nice Keith. I'll make a note of this one. 

• Like 1

1/76: Langley Models do a range of white metal cabs.  Milicast has a range of military trucks in resin.  Matador has a similar range but with variations for a range of the prewar lorries with the military cabs.  Coopercraft had a limited range but out of business, the tools I think went to Dapol so worth a search there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Although pretty hard to find these days now about  

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/keil-kraft-k310-foden-haulmaster--163963.

Keil craft made an numbe of of similar trucks but mostwere European.

Thanks Paul,  that looks to be a nice kit but, as you say, hard to find nowadays.

14 hours ago, modelldoc said:

I am presuming that is a one-piece 3D print?

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

1/76: Langley Models do a range of white metal cabs.  Milicast has a range of military trucks in resin.  Matador has a similar range but with variations for a range of the prewar lorries with the military cabs.  Coopercraft had a limited range but out of business, the tools I think went to Dapol so worth a search there.

Thanks Graham,  I shall have a search around on those names.

Cheers,
Mike

Here is my Foden from Keilkraft

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/5955865166/in/photolist-2jZ1dT3-TPq7Mv-a5inds

and a conversion from Knightwing with a body from RTI:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/50528197968/in/photolist-2jZ1dT3-TPq7Mv-a5inds

Sorry the decorating for the Regent is not corect, it's the early, but I had used the late.

All are full plastic.

modelldoc

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

I am presuming that is a one-piece 3D print?

I think @modelldoc is correct in that the Knightwing truck is the Keilkraft one, when Keilkraft ceased trading their moulds went all over the place. Peco have some today which went via Tower Models.

Edit: Seems @modelldoc pressed the send button a second before I did!

43 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

Here is my Foden from Keilkraft

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/5955865166/in/photolist-2jZ1dT3-TPq7Mv-a5inds

and a conversion from Knightwing with a body from RTI:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/50528197968/in/photolist-2jZ1dT3-TPq7Mv-a5inds

Sorry the decorating for the Regent is not corect, it's the early, but I had used the late.

All are full plastic.

modelldoc

Thanks Modelldoc,  that's just the sort of thing that I am looking to do.  Is there any underside detail?

43 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

I think @modelldoc is correct in that the Knightwing truck is the Keilkraft one, when Keilkraft ceased trading their moulds went all over the place. Peco have some today which went via Tower Models.

In that case, I shall order one.

Thanks

Mike

On 09/12/2021 at 17:48, bootneck said:

I did look at the Emhar kits but couldn't see any six or eight wheeled kits.  Do you know of any?

Mike

They never made a 8 wheel O type, there was 6 using an aftermarket company like Boyes or Primrose. Would be an interesting conversation 

They did plan to expand the range but the pattern maker passed away

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richellis said:

Look at RTI

here is one Im building in 1:24, with rare resin cab and scratch build chassis

Thanks Rich.  That's a nice looking conversion/scratchbuild.  What vehicle will it be when completed?

I'm really interested in this kind of build and would like to do something similar myself, especially at the larger scale.

cheers,
Mike

3 hours ago, bootneck said:

Thanks Rich.  That's a nice looking conversion/scratchbuild.  What vehicle will it be when completed?

I'm really interested in this kind of build and would like to do something similar myself, especially at the larger scale.

cheers,
Mike

It will be Briton Ferry Steel.

• 2 weeks later...

Who was the company up north somewhere which made British cabs and conversion parts using Italeri chassis in 1/24 th scale ? .

Are they still trading ? , I can`t remember if they were in resin or plastic . ` Saw them at the Huddersfield show a few years back .

Don .

3 hours ago, Don149 said:

Who was the company up north somewhere which made British cabs and conversion parts using Italeri chassis in 1/24 th scale ? .

Are they still trading ? , I can`t remember if they were in resin or plastic . ` Saw them at the Huddersfield show a few years back .

Don .

These guys?

https://www.kitformservices.com/

Doesn't look like they'll be around much longer though....

Keith

edit - seems the business has been sold.