HABU! Revell 1/48 SR-71 Blackbird

Alan P

My word, that looks awsome!!! Great job amigo!

Here's a Youtube link to a film Lockheed did towards the end of the Blackbird's operational career. I understand they were trying to sway public interest and see if they could stay the aircraft's execution. It didn't work, but it is probably the best record on film documenting for the public what was involved with SR-71 operations. I had a chance to see it in a movie theater in 1990 after the Blackbird was retired and got to talk with Col. Harlan Hain, who was an operations officer with the 9th SRW when the Blackbirds flew their first operational missions out of Kadena.

This video was taken from a VHS tape so quality is a little degraded. But the resolution is good enough to make out details The plot of the story is a bit thin, but the fictionalized "crisis area" they are referencing seems to be based on the missions flown over the Arab Israeli conflict area during the Yom Kippur war. In that conflict, around the time of the cease fire, the Egyptians claimed the Israelis were over their side of the line. The Israelis denied it, but intelligence collected by Blackbird overflights verified that they weren't quite telling the truth. After the proof was submitted, further overflights verified that the troops were withdrawn back to where they should have been and things calmed down once again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello,AlanP - Delighted to see you’ve enjoyed the Festive Period with your latest masterpiece.

A magnificent build of a magnificent aircraft.Full marks to Revell for releasing this beauty and you’ve certainly done the kit and the ‘SR-71’ justice.Brilliant!🏆
wishing you and your loved ones all the very best for the New Year!

As Always,

Paul.😉👍

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,AlanP - Delighted to see you’ve enjoyed the Festive Period with your latest masterpiece.

A magnificent build of a magnificent aircraft.Full marks to Revell for releasing this beauty and you’ve certainly done the kit and the ‘SR-71’ justice.Brilliant!🏆
wishing you and your loved ones all the very best for the New Year!

As Always,

Paul.😉👍

As always, you're too kind! Thanks once again, and wishing you a very happy New Year 😊

• Thanks 1

My kit was delivered yesterday. I bought it on ebay from Jumblies Models in the UK. The price was $90.00 US. The first thing that I noticed was that the size and weight of the box is impressive. The box art will need to be changed before this kit is officially available in the US. Metric dimensions will need to be changed to inches.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Johnny_K said:

Metric dimensions will need to be changed to inches.

Sounds very unlikely...does anyone do that? Tamiya, Trumpeter and others regularly put the metric dimensions on the box front and I've never seen them change it for the US market 🤔 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 4:22 PM, Johnny_K said:

My kit was delivered yesterday. I bought it on ebay from Jumblies Models in the UK. The price was $90.00 US. The first thing that I noticed was that the size and weight of the box is impressive. The box art will need to be changed before this kit is officially available in the US. Metric dimensions will need to be changed to inches.

A Revell USA version of the kit is indeed in the pipeline with different box art and inch measurements. But there will be one important difference. The US version will only have 170 parts. It will not have the stand parts or the exposed J58 engine parts trees. It will only have just the Blackbird kit itself. So if you want the engines, the Revell of Germany kit will be the only source.

I did some shopping for mine and ordered it from the Aviation Megastore in the Netherlands. It arrived at my home in Nebraska in a little less than a week. Money paid for it via PayPal was $124 US, shipping via UPS with tracking included.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 12:24 PM, Alan P said:

Sounds very unlikely...does anyone do that? Tamiya, Trumpeter and others regularly put the metric dimensions on the box front and I've never seen them change it for the US market 🤔 

Yes we backward Americans do. Revell of Germany and Revell USA are owned by the same investment firm, but are maintained as separate divisions currently. It has resulted in some unique releases for the US market though. For instance the 1/32 P-51D without the tail fillet has different decal options from the RoG release. Why? The marking options on the US kit has kill markings done up as swastikas (which were accurate for the planes represented, Frenesci and Cripes A Mighty 3rd) while the RoG kit decal options were for planes with iron cross markings (which were accurate for the two specific planes being offered, one of which was Lou IV). I suspect RoG did this because it is still illegal to display the swastika in Germany, even as a kill marking.

• Thanks 1

I have the Revell of Germany kit. I doubt that I will build the two jet engines however, I will build the model with its gear down. I don't think that US builders will miss the two engines. The question is----will the price of the US kit be reduced.

2 hours ago, Johnny_K said:

I have the Revell of Germany kit. I doubt that I will build the two jet engines however, I will build the model with its gear down. I don't think that US builders will miss the two engines. The question is----will the price of the US kit be reduced.

As far as I know, it will be. But due to supply and transportation issues brought about by the pandemic, most of the US based model companies are raising prices by about 15% across the board. So I have no idea how that will affect the final price.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:05 AM, Aigore said:

Well you temptress! You hava made sure I expanded my stash with a giganornous box......

Same here 😆

I just ordered mine, after someone said prices would go up, and someone said there'd be a US version without the extra engines and stand. Thought I'd best get one in the stash now and make sure it's the version I want!

• Haha 1

Thanks guys, unfortunately Revell aren't paying me commission 😭

For completion's sake, here's the engines and stand completed:

tn_Habu (220)

I went with boring grey for the stand which is probably better for the engines and airframe contrast.

tn_Habu (221)

This is all assembled out of the box. I didn't use any filler or anything. This is how it all fits. The bleed air pipes aren't even glued, they just slot into place and fit perfectly.

tn_Habu (223)

The interior of the pipes was brush painted with Vallejo Model Color, the rest is painted with various blends of just two colours: AK Xtreme Metal Titanium and Burnt Metal.

tn_Habu (224)

Here's the ensemble as best I can photograph it!

I'll put a few more pics on the RFI thread.

Thanks again for all the great comments on the thread, enjoy building your Blackbirds!

Alan

• Like 13

43 minutes ago, Alan P said:

painted with various blends of just two colours: AK Xtreme Metal Titanium and Burnt Metal

That's is masterly craftsmanship!

Thanks to your thread I have ordered one, although I have no idea when to build and where to put 😄

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rbeach84 said:

Rather bizarre that the US release will be a 'degraded' issue!  Guess I'll be know which boxing to look for...

Cheers!

R/ Robert

Probably they want to sell it for a lesser amount than the Germany version.

Somebody tried to fit the Metallic Detail 1/48 SR-71 Nozzles  on the new Revell  SR-71   ?  
Are they useless for the REVELL kit because they were made for the Testors kit ? 

Should be a pitty because they are beautiful  ( but pricy) 

Cheers 

Erik

11 minutes ago, katana said:

Somebody tried to fit the Metallic Detail 1/48 SR-71 Nozzles  on the new Revell  SR-71   ?  
Are they useless for the REVELL kit because they were made for the Testors kit ? 

Should be a pitty because they are beautiful  ( but pricy) 

Cheers 

Erik

I do my own modifications here:

17 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The engines look outstanding although a bit undersized to me.

I think I found out why the engine was scaled down and around 10mm shorter than it should be. I will report further investigation results in my topic soon:

2842.jpg

Serkan

• Like 7

7 hours ago, PilotGuy said:

Alan, thank you for sharing your Blackbird build with us. I noticed that you have it mounted on the stand; is that set up stable?

Thanks a lot, yes, it's fine. The stand is very sturdy.