HABU! Revell 1/48 SR-71 Blackbird

Alan P

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

There was a question about whether it might need any nose weight if it is going to stand on it's u/c? 

Definitely no need for nose weight, the landing gear is set too far aft to create a CG problem.

2 hours ago, ozzy_smb said:

Few pictures from my build, may help you with weathering the beast :)

Nice to see, but mine definitely won't be looking like that 😂

Merry Xmas everyone!

Alan

• Like 5

I have a question for any knowledgeable members out there, I was led to believe that the inflight refuelling door was in the open position when the aircraft is on the ground.  The Italeri/Testors kit is in this configuration, anyone know if this is correct or not?

27 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I have a question for any knowledgeable members out there, I was led to believe that the inflight refuelling door was in the open position when the aircraft is on the ground.  The Italeri/Testors kit is in this configuration, anyone know if this is correct or not?

From NASA paper:

An in-flight refueling receptacle was located on top of the fuselage, just aft of the AC-bay. When de-energized,  
the receptacle doors formed the upper fuselage contour. When opened, the doors revealed a trough to accept the  
aerial tanker’s refueling probe

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/20090007797/downloads/20090007797.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjTnp2C2P_0AhVoQ_EDHdkXDfMQFnoECAcQAg&usg=AOvVaw2nGOSczHx4Ya0vXSgboaS2

• Like 2

That’s a rather intriguing text on the in flight refuelling receptacle @Serkan Sen I guess in flight & not approaching or leaving a tanker the receptacle is open, but otherwise closed.  On the ground & not powered up would be open too?  But closed at start up.  I am posing mine at pre start up check stage, so I guess either would be possible.  
Possibly a problem of building a kit based on a grounded airframe.  Could make lots of in-flight Revell kits on the stand as wrong!

• Like 1

The inflight refueling receptacle door would be closed at all times except when refueling. If left open on the ground it would accumulate debris and contaminants. One of the crew (I don’t know which one) opened it when approaching the tanker, and closed it as the aircraft turned away after disconnecting. My guess, without references handy, is that the RIO was in charge of refueling and keeping the fuel flowing to the correct tanks to keep the CG within limits, with the pilot doing the flying.

Peter

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, bar side said:

Any idea how the door(s) worked?  One door, two door, closing from the sides or the front & back?

It was a single door, hinged at the front. The back end of the door sealed against the forward end of the receptacle to prevent spilled fuel from getting into the airframe.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bar side said:

I guess in flight & not approaching or leaving a tanker the receptacle is open, but otherwise closed.  On the ground & not powered up would be open too? 

No, it's the exact opposite. Unless the door actuator is energised, it remains closed. It's a one-piece door that opens inwards to reveal the receptacle.

• Like 2

That makes sense.  We’ll time to make a door then & close up the receptacle.  I know this is a model but something like this.  I am pretty sure there is no option to close it in the Italeri kit

710x528_28904242_12702364_1573088072_1_0

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter O said:

It was a single door, hinged at the front. The back end of the door sealed against the forward end of the receptacle to prevent spilled fuel from getting into the airframe.

Peter

It is actually a two-part door. The main, large door sits on two different-length swing arms so when actuated the forward arms swing only a little down while the aft arms swing quite a bit down, thus creating the slanted/triangular cavity. There is a smaller forward door that slides forward in order to clear the space for the main door to "swing" open.

Jeffrey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

It is actually a two-part door. The main, large door sits on two different-length swing arms so when actuated the forward arms swing only a little down while the aft arms swing quite a bit down, thus creating the slanted/triangular cavity. There is a smaller forward door that slides forward in order to clear the space for the main door to "swing" open.

Jeffrey

Every day's a school day! Such in depth knowledge bodes even better for your SR-71 release :eat:

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 5:50 PM, LorenSharp said:

I daresay in the next month or so scale Aircraft Conversions will have a metal replacement set for the kit released.

Oh, you mean a soft white metal copy of the kit landing gear. ;)

Jens

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Jens said:

Oh, you mean a soft white metal copy of the kit landing gear. ;)

As Alan has mentioned the Revell u/c legs are quite sturdy, it's the attachments to the u/c bays that is the weak link, they were designed to pivot, but the actuators prevent that.  Attaching the u/c legs in  a stronger way to the u/c bays will support the weight of the model. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today finally I had time to open the seals of my Revell Blackbird and have a look the kit. My first impression is that especially the exhaust assembly is a bit undersized. Also the afterburner can is tapered to give a depth and afterburner rings are also undersized. The engine inlet and compressor stage has similar issues as well. I will add some pictures soon.

It would be great if anyone has the dimensions (diameter) of engine inlet guide vane and afterburner can...

Serkan

• Thanks 1

One of the other things I'm finding with this build is all-black aircraft are extremely hard to photograph, especially when glossy!

tn_Habu (160)

I did some paint fading effects but the trick is to be subtle. I didn't like the end result as it was too heavy so I micromeshed it back. This looks bearable now. Mostly just panel variations except the refuelling point and the brake chute cover which got a bit more wear and tear.

tn_Habu (157)

The aircraft is fully assembled now:

tn_Habu (159)

Tail fins and engine shock cones and exhausts are fitted.

tn_Habu (161)

So I splashed a gloss coat on using Alclad Aqua Gloss.

tn_Habu (163)

Pic taken outside to try to capture some of the variations but the camera just isn't having it! Maybe under sunlight it might look better, but I'm in the wrong country for that.

tn_Habu (162)

Aqua Gloss nearly gave me a heart attack at first because it went on in small droplets rather than a smooth coat - luckily it settled down as it dried. I still prefer AK Gauzy Intermediate. 

Anyway - I shall spend a happy Boxing Day afternoon doing decals 😃 

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alan P said:

I did some paint fading effects but the trick is to be subtle. I didn't like the end result as it was too heavy so I micromeshed it back. This looks bearable now.

Well I think that finish looks spot on mate. I dont envy you doing such a large model in black, but it looks to me (from my screen anyway) that you got this about right!

• Thanks 1