HABU! Revell 1/48 SR-71 Blackbird

Alan P

41 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Good question. They look like bolts with putty or grease on them. 
Compared to the pic in the link below, maybe something is missing from the USAF museum’s windshield frame?

The red is silicone sealant applied to the nut ends of the bolts holding the windshields onto the frames. The flat head bolts go in from the outside, first through the outer windshield frame, then the window, then the inner framework. The windshields have a sealant strip around them that mates to the frame, but the bolts also need to be sealed to hold pressure. I was a SAC KC-135 and FB-111A mechanic back in the late '70s, and removed and replaced more than my fair share of windshields on those aircraft.

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So, the engines - mostly good news here...

tn_Habu (114)

The photo looks dark inside, I dry brushed it all with buff (pale yellow) paint, it looks much brighter to the eye :hmmm:

tn_Habu (111)

Not bad OOB and it all fits very tight.

The shock cone assembly is an area I wasn't sure about, but again if you take your time and fit carefully, it's a great fit.

tn_Habu (112)

This time the parts numbering is spot on!

tn_Habu (117)

Each duct part (four each side) fits to a slot in the central spike and abuts the circular opening and the central spoke. It is a perfect fit.

tn_Habu (115)

Make sure you keep the left and right sides separated! Each of the duct parts is numbered on the part as well as the sprue, reducing the chance of errors.

tn_Habu (113)

As suspected, you can't see anything down there.

tn_Habu (116)

The engine compressor looks nice, but along with the ductwork and those ejector pin marks, it's invisible once fitted.

This afterburner cooling vent part (right side) is shocking. Look at the sink marks!

tn_Habu (118)

Worst bit of moulding so far. All of this surface is visible so it will need rectifying.

tn_Habu (119)

The other side is fine. Strange how only one of them is affected. You can see sink marks on the interiors but these shouldn't be visible, so I'll leave them.

tn_Habu (120)

I fixed it by gluing very thin plastic card fascias to the affected surfaces and cutting/sanding it flush. I think it's a better (and faster) solution than filling/sanding.

The final assembly of the engines is a three-part jigsaw puzzle with the duct/afterburner parts enclosed inside:

tn_Habu (121)

Luckily again, the fit of these parts is perfect. The only bit that needed some jiggling/fine tuning was the last top inboard section.

It ends up looking like this:

tn_Habu (122)

The area around the intake ring will need tidying up, but compared to the Italeri/Testors version it's enough to make you weep for joy! I didn't fit the shock cones as I want to paint them first, but the kit instructions would have them fitted by now.

This is the most challenging construction on the kit and it took about two hours work, with the fixing of the sink marks being the longest task! The finishing of these seams ready for primer is hardly likely to cause any headaches. This has been an easy build so far and really looks the part. Tomorrow will see the finished construction of the main structure, which has taken just one week.

:cheers:

Alan

• Like 26

9 hours ago, Tomjw said:

I can't believe the speed at which you're progressing this build Alan. Impressive stuff.

Thanks Tom, I'm highly motivated to get to the paint stage 😁

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Shame about the quality issues on the plastic… at least you could fix it relatively easily!

Thanks a lot Matt 👍 to be fair this is the only quality issue I've found, after the Super Hornet this is a spectacular improvement by Revell.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see that detail in the jet pipes and compressor end too, looks very nice indeed, great work,  great to see the positive fit of everything too especially on the intakes this looks a great kit.

Chris

Cheers Chris, very glad to see the overall quality is right at the top end of what Revell can produce. Certainly relieved to find the fit is so good after all the noise and hysteria generated prior to release. What weaknesses there are will surely be addressed by the aftermarket in due course, but the base kit is absolutely fine as it is for me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Alan P said:

Thanks Tom, I'm highly motivated to get to the paint stage 😁

That's the bit I'm really looking forward to. I need to learn a few techniques before I tackle mine.

This is almost too big for my 60x60cm photo booth now!

tn_Habu (123)

CAPRE nose on and refuelling port slathered in putty. First use of filler on the model so far, which is pretty good!

tn_Habu (124)

The nose section will need a bit of filler to fill gaps but the profile looks good.  The only shape problem I've spotted with the naked eyeball is the 'shoulders' of the hump behind the cockpits area:

front

The main area for putty is the intake lips:

tn_Habu (125)

With some minor filling on the area around the upper bleed vents. I'm using Squadron Grey putty which is quick drying and very easy to work with.

The more awkward-to-get-to gaps get my filler of choice:

tn_Habu (126)

Tamiya tape! The modeller's miracle knows no limits as to usage :lol:

So once the putty was dry and sanded back, I stuck the wings on.

tn_Habu (128)

Test-fitting is your friend here. I made sure the mating surfaces were as flush as I could file them before applying the glue. But the thing all slots together very nicely. Now it's really too big for the photobooth!

tn_Habu (130)

The wing-to engine gap isn't bad at all. The control surfaces just slot home beautifully. The rudder fairings will need some Tamiya taping as they don't quite conform to the upper engine line exactly. The rudders slot into the fairings and create almost no gaps, so I'll leave them dry-fitted for now.

tn_Habu (129)

So there you go! One 1/48 SR-71 mostly assembled in a week. It's a huge piece of kit and I can only say good things about the assembly so far. Certainly nothing in here so far to cast any doubt on my decision to buy the kit. I challenge anyone to get the Italeri/Testors kit to this stage in the same time.

Knowing the state of the modelling fraternity and the various preferences we have, I'd say if you are an enthusiast who wants a big, easy-to-build centrepiece of your favourite aircraft on your display shelf, you should get this. The hardcore SR-71 purist should probably wait and see what Hypersonic/Gaspatch eventually releases. This kit is definitely aimed at those who like their models to look 'about right' and be impressive on display with a minimum of fuss. Those who want the pinnacle of accuracy and gynaecological-level detail on display should probably give it a pass.

Cheers :cheers:

Alan

• Like 23

9 minutes ago, Alan P said:

So there you go! One 1/48 SR-71 mostly assembled in a week. ... I challenge anyone to get the Italeri/Testors kit to this stage in the same time.

You're right. It took me exactly a month from opening the Testors box to this point.  :wall:

spacer.png

tLr313c.jpg

And then there was a month of PT to regain the use of my sanding arm!

Peter

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Alan P said:

That punchline cost me a mouthful of tea :rofl2:

Likewise your clinical reference. I can't say I've ever thought of my AMS quite that way before! I may never be able to order the Gaspatch/Hypersonic kit now 🤪

Peter

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

The only shape problem I've spotted with the naked eyeball is the 'shoulders' of the hump behind the cockpits area:

I see exactly what you mean, but I wonder if that's a photographic effect you're seeing Alan? What did you take the picture with? If it was your mobile phone camera the foreshortening (I think, my photo theory is decidedly rusty) will be extreme. If you took the same picture with an SLR with telephoto lens you might get a very different view. It's why portrait photographers use telephotos. Maybe try the same shot again when it's finished with the model on a table and (if you have one) a camera with a longer lens several feet away.

Whatever, it's gonna look great and the photo above (of the real bird) is just awesome!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I see exactly what you mean, but I wonder if that's a photographic effect you're seeing Alan? What did you take the picture with? If it was your mobile phone camera the foreshortening (I think, my photo theory is decidedly rusty) will be extreme. If you took the same picture with an SLR with telephoto lens you might get a very different view. It's why portrait photographers use telephotos. Maybe try the same shot again when it's finished with the model on a table and (if you have one) a camera with a longer lens several feet away.

Fair comment Charlie, but it looks the same with my eyes!

2 hours ago, Alan P said:So there you go! One 1/48 SR-71 mostly assembled in a week. It's a huge piece of kit and I can only say good things about the assembly so far. Certainly nothing in here so far to cast any doubt on my decision to buy the kit. I challenge anyone to get the Italeri/Testors kit to this stage in the same time.

It’s doable to get the Italeri kit there in a short time as there are not a lot of parts!  Out of the box would be quick but I have been messing about with mine so getting there more slowly

Yours is coming along nicely Alan

• Thanks 1

Great Work so far Alan, especially the engines.

If one wonders why they constructed the engine the way they did this might give a idea of how hot they got.

51752600982_92c6a8e990_3k.jpg

I remember a comment from a former Sled pilot that Kelly Johnson said only 20% of the thrust came from the engine. the other 80% from the inlet spike position controlling the air coming in.

To think they did all this with slide rules and paper. 

• Like 11

Those are the shock diamonds or mach diamonds. a product of the supersonic exhaust. here's a good explanation of the the effect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_diamond

its a rather interesting explanation. If you look closely at  the rocket exhaust of a  shuttle launch you'll see the same basic thing.

7 hours ago, Alan P said:

gynaecological-level detail on display

That’s one of the most interesting metaphors I’ve ever seen written!  Lol.

The model is looking great and I’m looking forward to seeing how you go with painting.  I love the challenge of monochromatic finishes, black being the highest evolution of the species.

• Like 1

Just now, Serkan Sen said:

All the parts are coming together very nicely Alan. But it seems that the kit needs the replacement parts for exhaust and tertiary doors.

1298.jpg

Serkan

Thanks! Yes, you'd need to replace that whole assembly if you wanted to accurately pose the doors open or closed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mark.au said:

That’s one of the most interesting metaphors I’ve ever seen written!  Lol.

The model is looking great and I’m looking forward to seeing how you go with painting.  I love the challenge of monochromatic finishes, black being the highest evolution of the species.

Thanks Mark, I know you are a proponent (and exemplar) of the art of making a model look realistic rather than stylised. I'm of the same mind and hoping to rise to the challenge! Almost at the paint stage now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1