HABU! Revell 1/48 SR-71 Blackbird

Alan P

6 hours ago, npb748r said:

any suggestions on availability of pilot figures ??  All of my kits are closed up panels and wheels down but with the stand included I'm thinking about modelling the plane in flight should I get it (using your WIP to help make a decision on that so no pressure !!!). Not sure if there are any aftermarket little humans in the correct gear to sit in the front and back cockpit ???

thanks

neil

Yes, see this link:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/5QACWG9D2/sr-71-blackbird-pilot-seated-1-48-1-72-1-32?optionId=70328554&li=marketplace

(a bit pricy, I admit. And, with the canopies closed little will be visible of the crew)

-Bill

• Thanks 3

Thanks Alan. :D 

I'll be following this with great interest, taking notes 🗒️ along the way.

My is still en route to me. 

Mine will be this one. 

https://theaviationist.com/2018/11/29/that-time-a-crippled-sr-71-blackbird-was-intercepted-by-four-swedish-viggens-after-violating-swedens-airspace/

And of course I'll also do an JA37 and AJ37 to complete the build. :D 

But I can't start mine until very late next year.

/Bosse :popcorn: :beer:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marlin said:

Mine will be this one. 

https://theaviationist.com/2018/11/29/that-time-a-crippled-sr-71-blackbird-was-intercepted-by-four-swedish-viggens-after-violating-swedens-airspace/

Hi Bosse,

Are the identifies of the Viggens from this event known? 

Cheers,

WV908 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marlin said:

Mine will be this one. 

This is a great story! The article is brilliant. Good subject!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WV908 said:

Hi Bosse,

Are the identifies of the Viggens from this event known? 

Cheers,

WV908 

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

This is a great story! The article is brilliant. Good subject!

Thanks guys, :D 

I'm not wanting to hog Alans thread. 

I think one of the AJ was #19 from F6.

The JA's were from F13.

I've just recently started to research this incident, and when I start my own build I'll post all details I have. 

But as I stated I'll not be able to start my own build until late next year at the earliest due to that our apparment will be totally renovated during spring/early summer and we'll have to evacuate during that time. 

/Bosse 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, TeaWeasel said:

Really looking forward to following this. 

As a side note, I'm still new to this site; is there a feature where I can save a topic to come back to later on?

You can 'follow' the thread by clicking on the Follow button on the first page of the thread. Then you can set preferences like receiving notifications of activity, etc.

• Like 1

Glad to see this is your capable hands, Alan. 

I will treat myself to this one day no doubt - hoping at some point Wonderland or the like will be knocking them out at Telford 2025 for £20 😉

I look forward to seeing your progress. 

Tom

• Haha 1

My Blackbird was just delivered, tempted as I am to start cutting parts off the runners I have too many projects on the go already.

I have to agree with you Alan, those decals, especially the cockpit ones look superb.  I'll just have to see how strong my resistance is.  :whistle:

• Like 1

Aaaaand...we're off!

First of all, I'm taking care with the large sprue gates for the main fuselage halves:

tn_Habu (43)

Especially take note with the top half - the edge of the chine overlaps to the underside, and two of the sprue gates are attached onto the lower face:

tn_Habu (42)

Those familiar with Trumpeter kits will be well skilled in painlessly carving these off!

Can't resist an initial tape-up:

tn_Habu (46)

Even without the central reinforcements, it fits nicely together.

tn_Habu (44)

For such large parts, the fit is pretty impressive. If anyone would quibble about this level of fit, I would say they might want to consider golf or stick to Lego.

tn_Habu (45)

No seams really evident at the tail end. I think everyone can relax about the quality of fit. By the way, if anyone thinks this doesn't cut the mustard, I double dare them to try building the competitor :lol:

Alrighty then...let's melt some plastic!

tn_Habu (47)

This is the long keel section which forms the main structure of the fuselage. It runs from the tail stinger to the nose gear well.

tn_Habu (48)

There are three transverse shaper bulkheads that fit into recesses on the upper and lower halves. Helpfully, the front-facing side is marked, like a Claymore :lol:

m18pic2.jpg?format=500w

tn_Habu (49)

This again fits perfectly. I'm applying pressure in this pic, but once the glue was applied and dried, it is rock solid.

tn_Habu (50)

Here's the fit at the front on the nose gear well retraction jack recess. Very snug!

tn_Habu (51)

The main structural elements fitted and glued. I've already drilled out the stand mount holes as the stand will be useful for the paint stage as well.

tn_Habu (52)

As previously mentioned - the fit is spot on, but clamp it while it's drying to ensure the shapers and spine are firmly fixed to the lower half so the shape is consistent. I used Mr Cement SP to ensure a fast and secure joint.

This is already too big for my workspace - I'm going to have to be creative!

So far, so good. I know for many people Revell will just never be a consumer choice no matter how good it gets, but all I can say is this: if the name on the box is making you question the value - you're missing out. 

Alan

• Like 24

So I got as far as step 14 of the instructions and still no cockpit!

On with the landing gear...

tn_Habu (53)

The nose gear well is divided into its constituent walls. Nice if simple detail inside but they have the big LN2 dewars in the nose gear well. As with the other components so far, these fit together seamlessly.

Meanwhile, further back...

tn_Habu (56)

The main gear wells are also built up by their walls. I guess you could add extra detail here if you were so inclined. Again, seamless fit of all these components. This is a simple and very easy-to-build exercise so far, I'm motoring through it. Certainly looking forward to the engines now!

I've found one mistake in the instructions!

tn_Habu (54)

Check the parts I've changed - you can recognise the correct handing of the leg halves by the oleo links lining up on the correct side. Take note!

On the sprue this will make sense:

tn_Habu (55)

These are the two halves the instructions would have you put together - but as you can see, the torque link hinges won't match! Part 87 goes with 88, and Part 91 with 90.

Anyway - all the gear parts assembled, tidied up (the joins need smoothing but otherwise it all fits together fine) and ready for primer.

tn_Habu (40)

I even had time before sundown to do prepare the cockpits! They finally appeared at step 19 of the instructions :lol:

tn_Habu (41)

Again, sorry to sound like a stuck record, but the back bulkhead on both cockpits fitted perfectly and they both slot into the fuselage snugly. 

The kit seats are a bit weak in detail, but not terrible. The moulded belts look fine for this scale. In any case, I'd already bought the Pavla seats anticipating a much worse kit than this.

tn_Habu (39)

This is Pavla - they also fit the kit perfectly so no worries about compatibility. You don't have to remove the riser moulded to the floor of both cockpits.

Well, all the interior priming is done, looking forward to some paint tomorrow! Although I am already a fan of this kit, it's looking like great value for money right now. Thanks to Jumblies and Jadlam, both my kits cost under £75 delivered. Though I'm sure someone will say 'for that price, they could have included bombs' :banghead:

• Like 19
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Gidge said:

I suspect the landing gear is an afterthought as they anticipate most people will build wheels up mounted on the stand.

What makes you think that? The landing gear builds up well, there's nice detail in the wheelwells and the wheels themselves are excellent :hmmm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Check the parts I've changed - you can recognise the correct handing of the leg halves by the oleo links lining up on the correct side. Take note!

Thanks Alan, I've amended my u/c assembly ready for when I get to it.  Glad it's all going so well, I have had a good look at the parts and assembly booklet, my pitot probe (part F.37) is looking a bit blobby! luckily when I pre-ordered this kit from Jadlam I obtained the Master pitot probe, that's the only AM I have at the moment. 

I also noted slight sink marks on the attachment sections for the vertical fins. (parts C.19 & C.22) nothing drastic, a smear of plastic putty will sort out those, everything else looks good.

Looks like I will have to get a second kit so I can make an earlier one I remember from my visits to Mildenhall in the 80's and a later low-vis one.  :nod:

Edited by Retired Bob
  • Like 1

Just now, Retired Bob said:

Looks like I will have to get a second kit so I can make an earlier one I remember from my visits to Mildenhall in the 80's and a later low-vis one.  :nod:

Yes! I had a similar plan, then there's the Hypersonic/Gaspatch one to consider when/if it makes it to market. So spoilt! :lol:

Regarding sink marks - the AB bypass vent section at the rear of both engine fairings has some as well - I haven't got to that bit yet, but will need to see how visible they are. Again, nothing a bit of putty can't mend.

As for aftermarket - the Master pitot set looks incredible, glad it exists! I expect to see somebody doing the wheelwells at some point (probably Metallic Details, as they have already covered the I/T kit to death!) and wouldn't be surprised to see a cockpit and photoetch set soon. I would definitely expect to see mission bays, mission packages and OBC nose appearing from the cottage industries as well. I hope it's going to be a big hit among those who have the space!

Alan

• Like 2

OH man! You´re off to a running start! I´m so envious of you right now! I want that kit toooooo....oh well I hav e a big Viggen at least :P

I´ll be following this closely since I will get it one day!

Me being me I think I would want better exhausts and that pavla pit looks really smart...and a Master pitot tube is a must for any build. Hoping there will be one for my Biggen soon :P

Lovely updates keep up the good work!!

• Thanks 1