HABU! Revell 1/48 SR-71 Blackbird

Alan P

Starting tomorrow lads!

tn_Habu (1)

I have to go to work (curses!) but sprue shots to follow.

tn_Habu (2)

Never been this excited about a kit since the old days. Possibly the first time in my adult modeller's life I've dropped everything else to start a new arrival. Since there is no dedicated aftermarket for this kit (yet), I'll only be replacing the seats (Pavla) and adding decals (Warbird) and a pitot tube (Master).

I'm building Article #974 as the Gooney Bird, following its enforced grounding on Midway Island in 1969. This airframe had one of the most colourful histories of all the Blackbirds and was generally regarded by all crew as a 'good ship'. Although not recognised as one of the speed record breakers, it flew the first operational sorties from Kadena AFB over Vietnam in 1968, and recorded the most operational sorties from this Det. Sadly, it was also the last SR-71 to be lost, crashing into the sea off Okinawa in 1989 following a catastrophic engine failure after takeoff. Both crew ejected safely. 

spacer.png

It carried the colourful tail art of a habu viper coiled around a number '1' and the nickname 'Ichi Ban' (Number One). On the very brief occasion of being stuck on Midway Island following a generator failure, it also received artwork of the famed 'Gooney Birds' (albatross) which inhabited the island. The paint used by the artist (a local naval officer's wife) unfortunately wasn't milspec Mach 3 resistant, and didn't survive for long!

So - the plastic looks excellent, possibly Revell's finest effort to date as regards mould quality and presentation. Detail is fine and the decals are superb, especially the cockpit detail decals. Let's see how it goes together! 

Alan 

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Excellent Alan! Mine is due to arrive on Saturday so will be following this. Hadn't planned to build it until the 'record breakers' GB later in the year but, like you, I've been looking forward to this kit. One of my favourite aircraft alongside the F-14 and Spitfire. I must actually check and see how many I've seen in the flesh :lol:

• Like 1

All right BMers, let's have a look inside the box...

tn_Habu (6)

That's a great sight on opening a model box!

tn_Habu (19)

As expected, it's not as sharp as some of the Far Eastern producers, but it's pretty damn good.

tn_Habu (20)

The lines are quite fine if not very sharp edged, but that's a plus point in my book.

tn_Habu (21)

tn_Habu (25)

The RAM panels are very clear and sharp across all the surfaces,

tn_Habu (24)

One-piece rudders but fixed in position - if you want pivots you'll have to do it yourself.

tn_Habu (13)

Two different style nose fittings for CAPRE (early, top right) or ASARS (late, bottom right) radar fit. Nice! No optical OBC nose though.

tn_Habu (7)

Engine nozzles - bit more defined than the Italeri/Testors version, but then they should be! :lol:

tn_Habu (16)

Again very nicely moulded and a distinct absence of flash.

tn_Habu (17)

Look at those wheels :wub:

tn_Habu (18)

Really sharp shock cones. They're very well moulded.

Okay what's on the inside...?

tn_Habu (11)

Some people will want a replacement cockpit, but honestly, why? This is 1/48 and quite hard to see.

tn_Habu (23)

Pilot's cockpit is just as good.

tn_Habu (12)

Nice, accurate instrument panels, but wait...

tn_Habu (3)

These are the best panel decals I've ever seen. Bed these down over the raised detail with your favourite setting solution and Quinta/Eduard can do one :lol:

tn_Habu (10)

Landing gear is still a bit Revell but I can work with it. You may wish to replace the pitot cluster though! Master does a beautiful set for the other 1/48 kit.

What's that, you say? 'What are the engines like?' Why, take a look:

tn_Habu (14)

This is some pretty fine moulding.

tn_Habu (15)

Each engine comes in four longitudinal parts, with additional single-pipe bleed ducts to add. If is fits well, we are talking seriously good OOB details.

Wait, voices from the back...'What about the clear parts'? Okay then...

tn_Habu (35)

As clear as you can get with very little distortion.

tn_Habu (36) tn_Habu (37)

You could probably get away with closed cockpits and still be able to see seat detail, maybe even panel detail.

tn_Habu (8)

Wheelwells are made up in box assemblies - still quite simplified but way better than the predecessor.

tn_Habu (9)

Alright, that's enough plastic, what about the instructions/decals...?

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Straightaway you can see this is a much sturdier and solid construction than the I/T kit:

tn_Habu (27)

There's a solid longitudinal keel with bracing ribs to shape and support the two massive fuselage halves.

tn_Habu (28)

Strange decision to split the seat halves a la AMT Valkyrie. This is why I opted for the Pavla seats.

tn_Habu (29)

The shock cones are beautifully rendered, as long as they fit okay!

tn_Habu (30)

Nacelle and nozzle construction looks nice and neat, with the option of displaying the engines separately on the mahoosive display stand. Unlike most kits where the engine is displayed separately, Revell provides two sets of afterburner sections enabling display of the full engines without losing the afterburner section inside the nacelles. (Hear that, Mr Tamiya? If only your 1/32 F-16 had been that generous!)

tn_Habu (31)

Here's your different noses...

And here are your decals:

tn_Habu (26)

Colour-wise, they look a bit bright, but quality-wise, if they're anything like Revell's other releases in the past four or five years (and why wouldn't they be?), they will be immaculate. The best part of the 1/32 Super Hornet kits is their superb decal sheets.

tn_Habu (32)

There are four decal options - two high-vis, and two low-vis birds:

tn_Habu (34) tn_Habu (33)

Anyway. All this and I was excited to start with! Tomorrow the adventure begins!

Alan

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

One last preview post - if you're building a Sled, it's worth investing in some quality research:

tn_Habu Books

These are the books you're looking for...Crickmore's Revised Edition for the facts, Graham's for the photos!

Alan

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

I made a group build proposal but haven't received any feedback...

Well, in that case I invite you to join this one as a co-op build if you like? It would be kind of a mini-groupbuild :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

any suggestions on availability of pilot figures ??  All of my kits are closed up panels and wheels down but with the stand included I'm thinking about modelling the plane in flight should I get it (using your WIP to help make a decision on that so no pressure !!!). Not sure if there are any aftermarket little humans in the correct gear to sit in the front and back cockpit ???

thanks

neil

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, npb748r said:

any suggestions on availability of pilot figures ?? 

Hi Neil, no pressure on me :lol: you'll have to make your own decision 😉 For pilots you're going to have to go aftermarket...Shapeways is a good bet, but don't expect it to be cheap :yikes: The guy in the link is good though, bought some astronauts from him before and they're excellent quality.

25 minutes ago, the MDman said:

One question, how are the instructions? Asking because the instructions of Revells Tornado were a real disaster. 

These instructions seem to be clear enough, I posted some pictures of them earlier :smartass: But I'll know better when I get going.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bar side said:

You’ve got your hands on it the Alan!  Looks good in the box & nice range of decals.  Will be watching with interest

Yes, I'll stop going on about it now :lol:

• Like 2

I'm going to follow this with interest Alan, My kit was just sent out today so to will be  a while before arrival. I'd like to join in on a group build with this but with the projects I have now on the bench plus planned GB's in the first quarter in the pipeline I'm short of enough build space to start this.( I've built the Testors kit so I know how big this will be.) I'm curious on how the wheels and wheel bays compare to the metallic details sets compare to each other. I got a set for an A-12 rollout build I want to do with the Testors kit. 2 more good references are these:

51737075680_60469d2ddc_c.jpg

51736831449_7ab22f0171_c.jpg

The one reference I wish I still had was my Dad. He worked on the SR-71 when it first rolled out in 1964, but sadly he passed away many years ago, He always referred to that plane as his "baby"

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Well, in that case I invite you to join this one as a co-op build if you like? It would be kind of a mini-groupbuild :smile:

Thanks for your kind invitation Alan. Most probably I will start this kit not before than next spring. I am planning to build my Blackbird in engine bay opened position as this kit has two nicely detailed J-58 engines.

how-fast-is-the-sr-71-planenerd-03.jpg

(Photo by Eric Friedebach / CC BY)

Serkan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks for your kind invitation Alan. Most probably I will start this kit not before than next spring. I am planning to build my Blackbird in engine bay opened position as this kit has two nicely detailed J-58 engines.

Serkan

That's a build I will look forward to Serkan

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Serkan

That is some photo! Hope to follow your build when you can, it looks like a brilliant project 👍

• Like 1

Just now, LorenSharp said:

That's a build I will look forward to Serkan

Me too.  I did wonder if main updates were only done at Beale but each detachment must have been able to change engines, noses or cameras & sensors

• Thanks 1