Wings over the Illawarra 2021

Greg B

Some shots from the Wings over the Illawarra Airshow 2021 held on the 27th and 28th of November this year. Really, really grotty weather with a low overcast, rain and poor visibility so photography was challenging. 

It was worthwhile as the last public display days for the RAAF legacy F/A-18 Hornet and some very spirited flying was displayed. It was also the first public display of the F-35 and we had a Seahawk Romeo sporting a new paint job on the nose.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Those are absolutely gob-smacking photos. Fantastic!

However, from my point of view, the flying ones are a bit too closely cropped. I would leave some more room at the nose end (i was always told to allow the aircraft to fly into and give the impression of speed). Try it ansd see what you think.

However, they are still awesome

Andy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Nice flying shots - what's your lens?

Canon RF 100 - 500L with an R5 body (first outing for the lens ;) )

4 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Those are absolutely gob-smacking photos. Fantastic!

However, from my point of view, the flying ones are a bit too closely cropped. I would leave some more room at the nose end (i was always told to allow the aircraft to fly into and give the impression of speed). Try it ansd see what you think.

However, they are still awesome

Andy

Cheers Andy, will have a dabble in future for here. However these were also processed for airliners.net and they require a tight crop :)

• Like 1

Really good photos- great close up detail.  i particularly like the photo of the Hornet tucking up its undercarriage- nice composition against the background.  I also like the Neptune shots- amazing to see one flying.

Thanks for posting.

Colin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:

God bless them!

What do you think of the new camera and lens? 

Andy

The body is great, I’ve had it about a year but Covid has really limited the opportunity here to wring it out. The airshow was cancelled last year, moved to may this year and moved again. 

The tracking autofocus is amazing, with the new firmware tracking update for vehicles released as typical just after the show, it should be even better. The only thing to get used to is the slight screen lag/stutter when operating the shutter. You quickly pick up the need to keep panning. It’s amazing how quickly it picks up the subject and my rejection rate in post has dropped significantly.

The lens is sublime, I was using a 2nd series 100 - 400 with an RF converter and it was very, very good. But this has shifted it up a couple of gears. 

10 hours ago, Evalman said:

Wonderful to see the Tracker, and the Neptune is sublime. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Pete 

The Tracker will hopefully be airworthy soon. Great to see the Neptune and the Caribou was doing its thing, got a good vid of the STOL take off and landing of that beast. 

14 hours ago, Greg B said:

The body is great, I’ve had it about a year but Covid has really limited the opportunity here to wring it out. The airshow was cancelled last year, moved to may this year and moved again. 

The tracking autofocus is amazing, with the new firmware tracking update for vehicles released as typical just after the show, it should be even better. The only thing to get used to is the slight screen lag/stutter when operating the shutter. You quickly pick up the need to keep panning. It’s amazing how quickly it picks up the subject and my rejection rate in post has dropped significantly.

The lens is sublime, I was using a 2nd series 100 - 400 with an RF converter and it was very, very good. But this has shifted it up a couple of gears. 

Thanks Greg. I have a 1 DX abd that too tracks well. Maybe in the future mirrorless is the way to go

Andy

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

That Corsair looks odd around the front end, or is it my eyesight? It looks a bit lean to me. 

Martin

Late model Corsair with the cheek intakes, it does give it a different look, slightly longer nose than the wartime ones too I think.

Steve.

26 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Late model Corsair with the cheek intakes, it does give it a different look, slightly longer nose than the wartime ones too I think.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I realised the -5 but it still looks a bit under fed in the nose to me. Having said that, I want to build one :) for my FAH collection :). Make a note Alex ;) @sosa_1991

Martin

• Like 1