Sgt. Daniel Dravot

Cadman

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Another of my favourites stories/films. It's hard to see the figure properly with only one photo but it looks the part. Well done.

Yeah okay, and fair comment. I'll add a few more photos in the morning. Can't do it right now -- it's dark o'clock.

Additional photos.

IMG20220105145558.jpg

IMG20220105145629.jpg

IMG20220105145613.jpg

BONUS PHOTO -- Unrepentant and gloriously inaccurate grouping of not-quite-finished Sepoy Mutiny Personalities.

A somewhat scurvy band of disreputable chancers, cads, rotters, rascals, rogues. reprobates and old Flashy -- rather splendid chaps really....😊

BACK ROW

Private Henry Ward VC; 78th Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs). Won his VC during the 1st Battle/Relief of Lucknow.

Sowar; of Hodson's Horse.

Major William Stephen Raikes Hodson; Commander of Hodson’s Horse and (alleged) creative mess fund accountant. Killed in action on 11th March 1858 during the 3rd Battle of Lucknow.

Sowar & Jemadar; of Probyn's Horse.

Major-General Hope Grant; Veteran of the Sikh Wars, celebrated cello player and later, while on campaign in China rather famously left Flashman lost for words when confessing he desperately needed a bit of quality time with some Trollope.  Presumably Hope Grant was a devoted admirer of the popular Victorian novelist. (See "Flashman and the Dragon").

MIDDLE ROW

Brigadier-General John Nicholson; "The Hero of Delhi". Appointed to lead a Moveable Column and reinforce the besieging force at Delhi which had been decimated by casualties and disease; Nicholson left Peshawar on 14th June and fighting all the way, arrived at Delhi Ridge to a tumultuous welcome from the weakened British force. Took command of the assault troops during the subsequent Storming of Delhi on 14th September 1857, and was mortally wounded while leading his column at the Kashmir Bastion.

Count Ignatieff; Chilling Russian agent provocateur, (but would also work as Rudi van Starnberg. See "Royal Flash").

Corporal John Ryan VC; 1st Madras European Fusiliers (Neil’s Blue Caps). Won his VC during the 1st Battle/Relief of Lucknow.

Thomas Henry Kavanagh VC; Irish civilian. Won his VC during The Siege of Lucknow. Shown wearing the disguise he used to infiltrate the rebel lines as messenger between the Residency garrison and Sir Colin Campbell.

Captain W.G.D. Stewart VC; 93rd Sutherland Highlanders. Won his VC during the 1st Battle/Relief of Lucknow.

Major-General Henry Havelock; Commander of the 1st Lucknow Relief Force. 1st Battle/Relief of Lucknow concluded on 25th September 1857.

FRONT ROW

Ilderim Khan; Flashman’s Afghan blood brother.  Murdered by rebel sepoys at the Suti Chowra Ghat after Sir Hugh Massey Wheeler’s capitulation at Cawnpore.

Scud East; Flashman’s sanctimonious schoolmate from Rugby School and fellow captive in Russia after both were taken prisoner in the Crimea.  (See “Flashman at the Charge”).  Also died at the Suti Chowra Ghat in Cawnpore. 

Major-General Sir James Outram; Generously relinquished command of the 1st Lucknow Relief Force to General Havelock during the advance on the city and waiving his rank, served with a troop of volunteer cavalry. Resuming supreme command, he then held the Lucknow Residency until the arrival of Sir Colin Campbell with the 2nd Relief Force.

Flashman; Seen in the full cherrypicker rig of Lord Cardigan’s 11th Hussars.
Lieutenant-General Sir Colin Campbell; Appointed Commander-in-Chief of all British Forces during The Mutiny, arriving at Calcutta in August 1857.

Veteran commanding officer of The Thin Red Line at Balaklava during the recent Crimean War and commander of the 2nd Lucknow Relief Force. Concluded the 2nd Battle/Relief of Lucknow on 16th November 1857.

Private John Smith VC; 1st Madras European Fusiliers (Neil’s Blue Caps). Won his VC during the 2nd Battle/Relief of Lucknow.

EE-Mutiny-Personalities.jpg

Edited by Cadman
ID'd each figure (kind of)
  • Like 13

On 1/5/2022 at 2:59 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

It's hard to see the figure properly with only one photo

Sorted. See previous post...😀

• Like 1

Faaantastic! Thanks for that Cadman. They are individually excellent but posed together, the effect is stunning. It's like going to the Viceroy's Ball. I actually know a lot of these names from my history reading and this is (almost) like meeting them in life. I especially appreciate that Flashman is the only one who breaks the fourth wall convention and looks us straight in the eyes. He sees us for what we are perhaps? 

Your painting is unbelievably accurate and precise, especially given the complex costumes. And the different skin tones - marvellous. You set the bar really high for me, but I'll practice and one day I'll be able to do that. In the meantime I think I'll make that large group my desktop picture for a while, just for inspiration. 

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Faaantastic! Thanks for that Cadman. They are individually excellent but posed together, the effect is stunning. It's like going to the Viceroy's Ball. I actually know a lot of these names from my history reading and this is (almost) like meeting them in life. I especially appreciate that Flashman is the only one who breaks the fourth wall convention and looks us straight in the eyes. He sees us for what we are perhaps? 

Your painting is unbelievably accurate and precise, especially given the complex costumes. And the different skin tones - marvellous. You set the bar really high for me, but I'll practice and one day I'll be able to do that. In the meantime I think I'll make that large group my desktop picture for a while, just for inspiration. 

Hmm, bear in mind there's a few of them not quite finished yet and none are really all that accurate. All are white metal kits, or toy soldiers, which I've converted to some extent and I just posted them to share a laugh.

Mind you, I think Campbell, Hodson and Outram are pretty close to being reasonable 54mm likenesses -- and my choice of Kavanagh was inspired by Flashy's hilariously unkind description of him disguised as a music-hall Aladdin as per "Flashman in the Great Game"...😁

CAMPBELL

08-Sir-Colin-Campbell.jpg

HODSON (should've painted his pugaree red...Doh!)

09-Hodson.jpg

OUTRAM

10-Outram.jpg

KAVANAGH

Thomas-Henry-Kavanagh-VC.jpg

But what I've really wanted to do for ages is to reproduce a 3D depiction of Frederick Goodall's famous painting of "Jessie's Dream".

Just haven't found the right figures I can use for certain of the characters -- YET!

However, the hunt shall continue.
11-Jessie-s-Dream.jpg

Edited by Cadman
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

We are often too aware of the failings of our own models to enjoy them as our viewers do. 

That's true. We're often our own worst critics.

Having said that, I think it's a good thing to be aware of my limitations -- and then push them hard, in the interests of improving the results. For example, I really ought to have extended the trousers on the converted "Blue Cap" front row figure with milliput filler to cover the knee-boots on the original castings -- and might well do so before I call him finished. Same goes for the trousers on Scud East and, especially, the scarlet color of his tunic, which needs dirtied up a tad.

All the same, cracking a few jokes and having a laugh with our figure collections is a harmless bit of fun -- as per the miniature I called Count Ignatieff/Rudi von Starnberg; and if I screw my eyes up, and view him from about three feet away, I can actually convince myself he would look a bit like Alan Bates -- if I were to add an Alan Bates moustache.

😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

What an atmospheric setting (1st pic). What an heroic pose. Makes me want to take the King's shilling and go adventuring. And the Sepoy Mutiny crowd is very impressive. Your figure painting looks like a lot of fun. Well done.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 11:56 PM, Maginot said:

What an atmospheric setting (1st pic). What an heroic pose. Makes me want to take the King's shilling and go adventuring. And the Sepoy Mutiny crowd is very impressive. Your figure painting looks like a lot of fun. Well done.

Yeah, I like that particular photo as well...😀

On 2/18/2022 at 5:08 AM, Big Dave S said:

Very nice work

Thanks Dave...😀

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Alan Bardell said:

Very nice, I particularly like Flashman with his whiskers and in his cherry picker rig.

I have enjoyed the Flashman books and have learnt quite a bit of Victorian History from them. 

B R 

:poppy:

I tend to re-read the books every couple of years. but not on public transport as the sight of someone regularly bursting out with laughter can attract strange looks from fellow passengers...😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cadman

Me too, I'm working my way through them  now,(for the 3rd or 4th time) just finished 'Freedom' and will follow this with 'At the charge' - This one and the next 'Great game' are my favourite's, oh forgot 'Redskins' that's my favourite too!

Keep up the great modelling.

B R 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Alan Bardell said:

Cadman

Me too, I'm working my way through them  now,(for the 3rd or 4th time) just finished 'Freedom' and will follow this with 'At the charge' - This one and the next 'Great game' are my favourite's, oh forgot 'Redskins' that's my favourite too!

B R 

I have always liked "Flashman in the Great Game". In fact, I'd have to say it's my personal favorite of all 12 books in the series. (Then again -- they're all brilliant).

To me, GMF added a lot of depth to the complex fictional character he had created; going so far as to reveal that Flashy was not quite the cowardly poltroon he claimed to be.

I also love "Flashman and the Tiger", although it did attract a fair amount of criticism on its release.

As you say, the details provided in GMF's notes can be an excellent resource for anyone that's relatively unfamiliar with Victorian history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Alan Bardell said:

Cadman

B R 

Have you seen this in the diorama section Paul?