Airfix 1/43 Jaguar E Type in 2022

k5054nz

Hi all,

Yesterday's advent calendar door revealed this video:

I couldn't find an existing thread so here we are. Vintage Classics or a new tool?

EDIT: confirmed as new-tool 1/43 in 2022 range announcement

Edited by k5054nz
updated scale and added product link
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

With the usual "doesn't make money for Airfix" caveat, it would be a surprise to do it in 1/24 so soon after the Revell new tooling effort.

Would love to see in 1/12, but suspect it could be in 1/32.. assuming the model shown in the video is the old 1/32 one.

• Like 1

Well, the E-Type is probably the most tired tool in the 1/32 range (though the DB5 runs it close) and hardly needs a “Vintage Classics” release since it’s pretty much always been available. So I think a new tool 1/32 is the most likely… starting a new 1/24 range would be a big step for Airfix. The re-release of the 420 suggests Airfix has managed a licensing arrangement for plastic kits with Jaguar (already there for Scalextric and Quickbuild). If it is that, I’d be happy!

best,

M.

• Like 3

The Airfix 1/32 scale E Type is a RHD soft top, the model illustrated is a LHD coupe

Airfix haven't changed/updated any of their previous Classics re-releases, and there's no hint that this is a new tooling. The wire wheels in particular look rather crude, so more likely a repop of another older tooling.

After checking for other LHD Coupe E-Types, it looks like the old (1978) 1/24 scale Heller kit to me. It's already had one outing under the Airfix label.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-06412-jaguar-e-type--183554

• Like 1

Definitely looks like a new tool and and in 1/32! Those closeups blown up to my PC's monitor are unforgiving and would be of anyone's build so I'm not going to judge the builder's skills. Wire wheels are almost impossible to mould in plastic in 1/32 and to look any better than that. A good wash of black will greatly enhance them and there are AM available in this scale.

I don’t think we can assume the model in the video is a built version of a kit to be released in 2022… Revell used pictures of the 1/8 Monogram kit to promote and “preview” their 1/24 E Type coupe for several months after it was announced. Much as I’d love a new tool Airfix E Type coupe that’s the right shape, both that and reissuing the Heller require Airfix to recommit to 1/24 cars — even with the Academy 1/35 reissues that heralded new Airfix 1/35 kits, they launched with more than one kit in the range…

best,

M.

Whatever scale it is, that model could do with a swift strike of a feather duster! 

The clear windscreen appears to have moulded in windscreen wipers, so I’d say this kit is no larger that 1/32. 

At least we have one Advent Calendar window worth opening, lets hope for a few more reveals in good time. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Well, the E-Type is probably the most tired tool in the 1/32 range (though the DB5 runs it close) and hardly needs a “Vintage Classics” release since it’s pretty much always been available. So I think a new tool 1/32 is the most likely… starting a new 1/24 range would be a big step for Airfix. The re-release of the 420 suggests Airfix has managed a licensing arrangement for plastic kits with Jaguar (already there for Scalextric and Quickbuild). If it is that, I’d be happy!

best,

M.

To be fair I think they've had a licencing agreement for a while- as they released the XKR racing car a while back and the Ipace Quickbuild

TT

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

It's an Airfix release, not Scalextric, it's a coupe not soft top and it's lhd not rhd

I didn't say that what's in the video is the Scalextric -- just pointing out that Hornby already has up to date CAD design data for an E-Type that's been delivered in a 1/32 model. I'm still not convinced that what's in the video is exactly what will be released next year -- if it was they'd have painted it better, surely....?

best,

M.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I didn't say that what's in the video is the Scalextric -- just pointing out that Hornby already has up to date CAD design data for an E-Type that's been delivered in a 1/32 model. I'm still not convinced that what's in the video is exactly what will be released next year -- if it was they'd have painted it better, surely....?

best,

M.

There's no hint whatsoever of a new tool, if this was a new tool release we'd be looking at cad, artwork or test shots as a teaser.

This is a re-release and an old one at that, I'd wager the model used in the teaser is the kit to be released.

Whatever the origins of the model in the pic, it's neither the Heller or Revell 1:24 kits (the only other FHCs in that scale worth considering - the Monogram, ex Aurora monstrosity (1:25?) is simply not worth looking at).  The visible details do not match (e.g. wipers, correct top edge to screen), and the most intriguing part is shown in the teaser pic rather than the video, which is that there appears to be a horizontal seam part way down the sill - other E Type kits have had the seam at the same level as the bottom edge of the door shut (e.g. Heller & Gunze 1:24) or not at all (Revell 1:24).

The only other plastic FHC kits have been in 1:43 (AMT), 1:48 (Renwal),1:20 (Eidai),1:16 (Frog), 1:8 (both Revellogram & Bandai), although most have been reboxed by others.  As far as I can find out, there hasn't been a 1:32 FHC, so if in that scale (which seems most likely given it's Airfix), then this looks like a new tooling.  However, as others have said though, it does seem strange that we haven't had CAD etc teasers first...  Perhaps given the subject matter, Airfix's view may be that it will be a guaranteed big seller, and so doesn't need the usual pre-launch hype?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bootneck said:

could it be a re-vamp of this one?

Mike

That’s the Heller kit… comes in convertible and two coupe versions, including that “racing” one which has Dunlop racing wheels instead of wires. The Heller has been re-released recently, and isn’t hard to find at reasonable prices now the Revell has come out. I’m sure some would be happy to see it in an Airfix box, but since I already have three Heller coupes and a cabriolet, I won’t be needing one…

best,

M.

(the video’s definitely not the Heller… that has wipers moulded into the clear screen and body moulding..)

The prospect of another Jaguar E-Type kit is an exciting one; particularly (for me) if it happens to be in 1:32 or 1:24 scale as those are my preferred scales.  

Airfix seems to like 1:32 for it's vehicle models, so I'd have thought that it was more likely to be an addition to the existing range of 1:32 scale vehicle kits.  But I wouldn't be disappointed if it were another take on the E-Type in 1:24 (I have Heller, Revell and Gunze Sangyo versions and there's always room for another).  As a bit of an E-Type obsessive it would be nice to see Series 2 or Series 3 E-type kits (maybe they are out there but I've never seen one), but it's the Series 1 that is the iconic version.

Either way, I take it as a good sign that AIrfix sees a future in vehicle kits.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that relations with Heller had been frosty since the withdrawal from Trun, and Hornby's policy seems to be to re-tool old banker kits. I expect 1/32 but wouldn't be surprised at a Quickbuild either :shrug:

• Like 1

Here are a few pics of my( very dusty) 1/32 scale E Type. Its an Aurora kit and one I built about the mid 1970's.   The reg plate is a custom made decal by a club colleague while the model represents the one owned by my ATC Squadron W/Officer and used to take me down to Tangmere during my gliding course on weekends.

83HNbN.jpg

M2RC18.jpg

xWCoIq.jpg

Not a bad kit but showing that Aurora also did 1/32 scale car kits.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Smokeyr67 said:

I sincerely hope that the model in the video isn’t representative of a new kit, it’s beyond being “a bit rough” it’s bloody abysmal!

I think I was put off by the stray pube on the rear window :sick:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4