Removing paint

Gael

Hello,

I base coated a batch of soft plastic figures with black paint, Humbrol.

There was something wrong with the paint, I should have known, could have been age, could have been the cold.

Anyway, it's a mess, they are 'gungy', flakey, detail covered.

What can I do - how can I get it off without ruining the plastic (most of it just chips off but I would like to start afresh.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

MrMuscle oven cleaner

Put the figures into a plastic bag or plastic box. Spray on MrMuscle. Seal up bag/box and leave for a couple of hours. The paint should then just wash off under running water. Use an old toothbrush to scrub them to get paint out of the details

Household bleach works. Ammonia drain cleaner works and so does Isopropanol(rubbing alcohol)

I use all three and one or other of them will get the job done. Isopropanol removes acrylic paint if you give it time. They all come in plastic containers, so you can be sure they wont attack plastic parts.

Dettol has always worked for me. Even works on enamel paints. Soak for a day or two and then rinse under water and scrub with SWMBO toothbrush (say nothing afterwards and put it back exactly as you found it).

• Like 1

All I would advise here... be very careful to remove ALL of whatever paint-remover you're using. I didn't clean a tank off well enough some years ago and the new coat of paint blistered in several places. 

Good luck in the removal.  

Chris.