Finnaviation Saab 340B in Santa Claus livery 1/144

Saab 340 was a twin turboprop airliner designed for short-haul flights and regional air traffic. The manufacture and marketing of the plane was a joint operation of the Swedish Saab and the North American Fairchild Aircraft Corporation. A total of 430 planes of the A and B versions were built until 1998 when the production of Saab 340 was ceased.

When I learned that the Arctic Decals had made a set of Finnaviation's Saab 340B in a special Santa and reindeer livery I decided to model that version of the plane. The only kit available in 1/144 scale was Welsh Models' Saab 340. It was, however, wholly made of resin and not vac-form as usual.

The kit was quite simple to build but the quality didn't quite reach the level of the best resin kits on the market. There was some dry fitting, sanding and puttying to be done but the assembly was by no means challenging. Quite a big hole had to be drilled to the solid resin nose for the necessary weight. Otherwise the model would have been a tail sitter. Additionally, I scratch built many extra details to the model. For instance I cut the cockpit windows from a spare set of Authentic Airliners decals to make the cockpit look more, well authentic 🙂 

As usual I first primed the model with Mr. Surfacer 1000 spray. Then I painted the whole white model with Tamiya fine surface primer coated with Tamiya gloss varnish spray.

Christmas is already around the corner and hopufully all "good modellers" know that Santa Claus lives in Finnish Lapland. So, with this model of Santa's Express I'd like to wish all my colleagues Merry Christmas 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The small size of the Saab 340B can be clearly seen in the comparison with the DC -10

spacer.png

The Finnaviation Saab 340B at Helsinki Airport (the photo is courtesy of Mr, Teemu Tuuri from Finnish Aviation Photography)

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RMCS said:

Excellent 

Thank you!

Einar 

8 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very topical and a wonderful model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim!

Einar

7 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Very nice and thank you for the best Christmas greetings from Rovaniemi!

Saluti

Giampiero

Grazie mille Giampiero!

Have you already visited Santa's village?

Einar 

5 hours ago, Jonners said:

Tidy work, Einar. I've been a regular Saab 340 passenger for the last year - definitely a workhorse, definitely not luxurious!

Jon

Thanks Jon!

I can share your feelings!

Einar 

Very neat Saab in a cool livery.

I always hope for an injection moulded kit of this aircraft.

I had a few flights on it with Crossair.

The landings were always quite spectacular,for absolutely no apparent reason,the pilots always went on full break after touchdown.

If you would not have fastened the seatbelts very strong,you would have probably flown through the cabin right into the cockpit😂

Thanks for sharing this beautiful model

Alex

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Very neat Saab in a cool livery.

I always hope for an injection moulded kit of this aircraft.

I had a few flights on it with Crossair.

The landings were always quite spectacular,for absolutely no apparent reason,the pilots always went on full break after touchdown.

If you would not have fastened the seatbelts very strong,you would have probably flown through the cabin right into the cockpit😂

Thanks for sharing this beautiful model

Alex

Alex, thank you very much for your positive comments and for sharing your memories of the plane.

Einar

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Once again perfect build. I remember sitting in these Saabs in old days. I must say that I don't remember seeing this version in real life. Clearly looks nice in your collection.

Thank you very much / kiitos paljon Vesa

Einar