How to design basic shapes?

TeaWeasel

Hello all,

As part of my TSR-2 build I'm looking for a suitable part to mount the nuclear payload. Given that the part will be hidden from view I don't need anything too complex or realistic, and I have a friend at a hobby store who should be able to print it later on.

Essentially what I need is a square strut with a couple of pairs of pegs to hold the weapons, and a strut on the other side for which to mount it to the aircraft. I don't have access to high-end technical software so I've been using a couple of free examples online, but the software seems so counter-intuitive that it's just impossible. 

For example, using 3D Builder by Microsoft, I can't actually find how to adjust part dimensions. I can create a cube, but can only adjust 2 dimensions. If I want to add a cylinder for the pegs, the cylinder simply spawns in the centre of the cube and disappears, even if I move the cube away. 

I tried out a design software by Trimble, just as useless. Can't even move the piece as a whole, can only move the edges to adjust the size. As for measuring it, no chance there since the damn thing keeps defaulting back to inches. 

Anyone have any tips or advice as to some software or guides out there?

Cheers,

Joe

If the part is relatively simple, I'd be happy to design it for you and send you the file ready for printing.

If you'd like to have a go at designing it yourself though, I'd highly recommend Fusion 360. There's a free version of the sofware for non-commercial use, and it's very user friendly and intuitive to get into, especially for simple parts.

All the designs start with a 2D drawing so, for example, if you wanted to make a cube, you start by drawing a square (you can enter the dimensions for length and width). Once you've drawn the square, you click on it and drag upwards to extrude it into a cube. Click finish and you're done. Adding further details to a shape is done the same way.

There are also a lot of videos on youtube with beginner tutorials for the software.

Andy:cat:

On 08/12/2021 at 18:23, Andy Moore said:

If the part is relatively simple, I'd be happy to design it for you and send you the file ready for printing.

If you'd like to have a go at designing it yourself though, I'd highly recommend Fusion 360. There's a free version of the sofware for non-commercial use, and it's very user friendly and intuitive to get into, especially for simple parts.

All the designs start with a 2D drawing so, for example, if you wanted to make a cube, you start by drawing a square (you can enter the dimensions for length and width). Once you've drawn the square, you click on it and drag upwards to extrude it into a cube. Click finish and you're done. Adding further details to a shape is done the same way.

There are also a lot of videos on youtube with beginner tutorials for the software.

Andy:cat:

Thanks for the tips, appreciate it. I'll give Fusion a go, if I do have any trouble with it I'll let you know :)

Joe

If its just made up of basic geometric shapes eg cubes/blocks/cylinders/triangles/spheres etc maybe TinkerCAD might be an option its a web based simple CAD program with an in built tutorial and an easy learning curve.  Its just a case of dragging a shape onto the workspace squish it into the right dimensions, drag another do the same. Move them around as much as you want. Merge 2 or more into one object move it around etc. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use Tinkercad, but when it comes to rounding corners, chamfers, angles, etc then Fusion360 is the way to go. In it's most basic form you draw a 2D image, then extrude up or down. Then you add sketches on surfaces and extrude in or out to modify, or add bends, chamfers etc. Another strength is that you can go back and change the sketch (2D) and all operations following that will follow the change. 

• Like 1