1/48 ICM OV-10A Bronco - RAAF FAC Vietnam

Ray_W

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She looks great in the black primer, very menacing!

Hi Craig, Sure does! Nice stage to reach. Some top colour tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Sprayed the wheels wells with AK Real Colors RC222 FS17875 Insignia White and then masked.

Bronco WIP 95

Finished the top colours using a coarse mottle to give some variation in the final finish. The white is again the AK and the grey is MRP-242 FS36473 Sky Grey. AK is thinned with their recommended Real Colors High Compatibility Thinner. Excellent combination. Wonderful self-levelling. The MRP is shot straight from their bottle. I again noted a little tip dry. I resolved that by stopping, giving my airbrush a fastidious clean, and then, when doing the mottle, give the airbrush a higher volume paint blast every now and then. For high volume flows I had no issues.

Bronco WIP 97

Bronco WIP 98

Bronco WIP 96

I'll fix that panel line ahead of the windscreen and then leave it to cure overnight before a gloss coat tomorrow.

Ray

• Like 13

On 1/4/2022 at 6:59 PM, Ray_W said:

I am now at a stage I quite enjoy. Check and correct any joins. Re-scribe some panel lines and rivet as needed, and generally work on tidying up the finish.

Interesting. That's the part I like to procrastinate   😄

Very nice work on this Bronco

• Like 2

A very subtle painting work on the upper surfaces Ray. Just the needed "touch" to make a model stand out.

PS I finally could order one of these kits at my usual shopping place (second time they have 3 in stock, again all gone in less than two hours).

It seems many people like the Bronco. And yours is particularly likeable.

• Like 1

Wow, I hadn't checked in for a while, and seeing it as an airframe nearly made me reach for the "Immediate Gratification Lever"!  (I mean, I know I've got to have one, it's just that I usually convince myself I can wait a little longer.)

Yes, Pat, I think a lot of people like the Bronco!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PattheCat said:

It seems many people like the Bronco.

Seems so Pat and no wonder now with ICM having done such a nice job with their rendition. Enjoying the build immensely. Can't wait to unmask the canopy section.

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

"Immediate Gratification Lever"! 

Bob, recommended!

On with the WIP, I feel I will hit an impasse shortly. I ordered the Caracal OV-10A decal sheet from Hannants and since COVID their deliveries to Eastern Europe have been problematic. Well, for me anyway. I am still waiting for the shipment to arrive. I really like Caracal Decals - good research, wonderful to apply and printed by Cartograf - so, I need to wait. Hopefully they will arrive this week so I can push on and finish the markings.

The kit decals do apply very nicely. I need to use some of these anyway for items such as ordnance and wing walk markings. OOB they're quite good. My technique was tepid water with the decal applied over Gunze Mr Mark Setter Neo. They settled down very nicely without any need for decal solvents.  The small decals I applied over Microscale Micro Set. I have experienced some silvering with stencilling using Mark Setter Neo so tend to switch decal solutions for the little stuff. I really like the Mark Setter NEO for larger decals where you need some working time like the long walkway. Micro Set and the kit decals were instant stick. 

I recently used the Mark Setter NEO for all the Tamiya decals and 3 evenings of stencilling on my recent F-4B build and found the combination brilliant. So my nervousness in using it for small decals may of been operator error at the time. 

Bronco WIP 100

The kit props are lovely. Note how nicely the ICM decals have applied. No top coat or weathering yet. I sprayed a different colour to get the variation you see on the prototype prop where the black stencilling is applied. Seems there should be a lot more wording on a Vietnam era Bronco prop than the kit provides. I will not tell anyone if you don't.

Bronco WIP 101

I have continued to work on the kit with some of the time consuming components, that being the little things. For example, I spent quite some time thinning the internal vanes and surrounds for the jet exhausts. If you have the kit you will see what I have done. One thing to watch is that I removed the weld seams you produce when gluing the halves together. That's a shame.  I now need to replace them with stretched sprue. Other painting jobs such as the LAU-68's have just started. A bit to do.

Bronco WIP 102

A tip for building the kit. If I was to build another, I would spend a lot of time carefully assembling and ensuring the weapon sponsons fit exceptionally well to the fuselage. Think Tamiya. Then leave them off and paint the kit and attach them after the bulk of the painting was complete. I was not worried as all that area is one colour in my build and yet it would of simplified the painting somewhat. If you are doing a wrap-around "lizard" type scheme I think it would be a must.

Ray

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2022 at 7:07 AM, modelling minion said:

I hope your Caracal decals turn up soon mate

Hi Craig,

By way of an up date. I am still waiting on the decals. Ordered them through Hannants. Service to Bulgaria prior to Brexit was excellent. Now it is problematic. I have tracked them down. They have been held up in Bulgarian Customs. Still working on their release. I am back in Bulgaria, hopefully I'll get some action.

It has not been a priority while I was back in Australia. The huge rains back home kept me busy - redid the stormwater lines down one side of the house. Changed my plastic skills from Polystyrene and Tamiya Extra Thin in 1:48 to PVC and MEK in 1:1 scale. 

I hope to complete the Bronco within the next couple of weeks. 

Ray

• Like 2

To get hold of Caracal decals inside the EU seems difficult. I'd also like their sheet for the Bronco as well as one for a Bangladeshi J-7G and a Qatari Rafale. I used to buy from The 48'ers but now hesitate as it has to go through customs and Belgian mail asks at least 24 € "import expenses" per parcel (even if it's not subject to import fees, aside from VAT).

Grmbl.....

1 hour ago, PattheCat said:

To get hold of Caracal decals inside the EU seems difficult. I'd also like their sheet for the Bronco as well as one for a Bangladeshi J-7G and a Qatari Rafale. I used to buy from The 48'ers but now hesitate as it has to go through customs and Belgian mail asks at least 24 € "import expenses" per parcel (even if it's not subject to import fees, aside from VAT).

Grmbl.....

You can get them from Aviation Megastore in Netherlands and AeroSpezial in Germany:

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

You can get them from Aviation Megastore in Netherlands and AeroSpezial in Germany:

Thanks, I could find those for the Rafale at Aviation Megastore and for the J-7 at Rebell (Sweden). Hope they'll restock the ones for the Bronco soon (reminder put at all three shops).

I hope you'll get yours ASAP Ray @Ray_W

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

By way of an up date. I am still waiting on the decals. Ordered them through Hannants. Service to Bulgaria prior to Brexit was excellent. Now it is problematic. I have tracked them down. They have been held up in Bulgarian Customs. Still working on their release. I am back in Bulgaria, hopefully I'll get some action.

It has not been a priority while I was back in Australia. The huge rains back home kept me busy - redid the stormwater lines down one side of the house. Changed my plastic skills from Polystyrene and Tamiya Extra Thin in 1:48 to PVC and MEK in 1:1 scale. 

I hope to complete the Bronco within the next couple of weeks. 

Ray

Well I certainly hope that you are able to get the decals before too long Ray, you have waited long enough as it is.

I hope that your home in Australia wasn't badly affected by the rains, from what I saw on the TV it looked dreadful. From everything that has been/is going on in the world it really does look like the end of days at times.

🇺🇦

16 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I hope that your home in Australia wasn't badly affected by the rains, from what I saw on the TV it looked dreadful.

Thankfully, no serious issues where we live in the Blue Mountains, but big rain.

Funny to say I went from flooding rains to this. Had to do some maintenance work on a place we have in Coober Pedy - a 4,000 km round trip.

Cobber Pedy Town

They had big rains in the desert too. Cut the Stuart Highway. Coober Pedy largely missed out. 

Ray

• Like 1

Just found your build. Looks like a god kit but not my bag. Did you do anything with the upper wing vortex generators? They looked very clunky in the parts display!

Colin

8 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

They looked very clunky in the parts display!

They are clunky. I did consider working on them. Not an easy fix unless someone releases some resin replacement parts with petite, ultra fine vortex generators cast in. I seriously considered thinning their sides or making my own brass replacements. Such changes could easily end up with an ugly result or at least seriously lose the fun factor on this build. So, in the end I made no changes. To my eye, at least, they do not detract from the look of the finished 1/48 model.  

I have had the kit boxed waiting on the decals and took it out for these photos. As often happens in modelling, some micro detail is annoying and you leave it and come back and if it is no longer a big deal, it is easily left as is. For me, this is a case of easy to leave as is. Photos do exaggerate them. For me the rivetting was more of an issue and I am glad I knocked them back a little. Again a matter of personal taste. 

Bronco WIP 104

Bronco WIP 103

Ray

• Like 3

21 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

Fantastic follow up as usual. Thanks for the pointer to AeroSpezial. They are a supplier I will consider in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great news. Received this today.

Bronco WIP 105

Cleared customs and now I can push on and finish the decals.

Ray

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

They're very nice looking decals aren't they.

Sure are! Looking forward to using them. A bit of a modelling backlog at the moment with the focus on finishing the EA-18G.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/31/2021 at 2:08 PM, Ray_W said:

Bronco WIP 73

I think this airframe might be the YOV-10D NOGS. I'd imagine the cockpit was generally the same with modified instrument panels. Always thought it was interesting ever since Airfix released their kit of it.

Great work on your OV-10A.

BM.