HMS Colombo - C Class Cruiser, Trumpeter 1/350

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Rob, well done with all those guard rails. They and the ladder look good. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff - 

8 hours ago, longshanks said:

Really coming together now buddy.

Good job with the rigging.... what material did you use?

Stay safe

Kev

Hi Kev

Infini Dernier 20 which is the thinnest lycra I have.  The Funnel stays are 40.  

So Dear Argonauts - your thoughts please.......

Trumpeter bid you use the etch "281" Radar that is featured in Profile Morskie

Scan0330

However - careful scrutiny of the original pics contradicts this and Colombo appears to have Type 279.  Mk1 Design provide a succinct pictorial summary.  Wheras Carlisle that is also well photographed unequivocally carries 281.

Scan0331

Here are the original pics again 

HMS_Colombo

Scan0187

and Carlisle.....

HMS_Carlisle

Raven and Robert make no specific mention of radar types fitted.  @foeth "E J"'s site highlights the differences once again  https://ontheslipway.com/radar-type-279m/

So I'm opting for Type 279 Radar for Colombo unless anyone thinks I'm mis-interpreting the photo-evidence.  Let me know please if that's the case

Thanks

Rob

• Like 11

Hi there, your knowledge of the subject is way beyond mine ref your radar query, but I read on the service history type 279 fitted at July to December 1942 refit? another fine looking build btw 👌 

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

She is looking rather swish, as for the eyelets on the yards...can't see 'em :hypnotised:.

Stuart

Hi Stuart - the eyes are all planted on the deck.  I think there would be issues glueing them to the yards.  I tie with 2 bights to the eye - take the thread to the yard and then wind around once securing with CA Glue being careful not to overtension.

11 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Hi there, your knowledge of the subject is way beyond mine ref your radar query, but I read on the service history type 279 fitted at July to December 1942 refit? another fine looking build btw 👌 

Thanks Rich - hadn't found or seen that but it's reinforcing.  I'm obliged.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm flipping through my "Radar: the developments of equipments1 for the Royal Navy" by Kingsley (volume 1) . Of all AA cruisers only Carlisle and Delphi received the type 281, the rest a (2)79 set except Calcutta, sunk before the sets were issued. Photo interpretation seems ok :)

1 Plural

(Next to my boat page I contemplated an aerial page too to stop the confusion, but it would mainly be plagiarizing Kingsley and Howse for all the information. Books can be very hard to find but are a radar information goldmine).

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 10:39 AM, foeth said:

I'm flipping through my "Radar: the developments of equipments1 for the Royal Navy" by Kingsley (volume 1) . Of all AA cruisers only Carlisle and Delphi received the type 281, the rest a (2)79 set except Calcutta, sunk before the sets were issued. Photo interpretation seems ok :)

1 Plural

(Next to my boat page I contemplated an aerial page too to stop the confusion, but it would mainly be plagiarizing Kingsley and Howse for all the information. Books can be very hard to find but are a radar information goldmine).

Thanks - appreciate that input, hugely helpful

I looked up the Kingsley volume - eye-watering prices!

Further work on the Mainmast using "Bob's Buckles" 0.5mm x 2mm "tubes" to replicate the photographed appearance.  

2022 09 05_4079

The rigging here is "Infini 0.3" metal rigging which I find such a help.  It's so much easier to use than thread!

Not easily available or cheap either - it's well worth seeking out - cooming in sizes 0.3 (thickest), 0.15, and 0,06.  Note - these gauges DO NOT refer to absolute diam.  The diam of "0.3" is 0.10mm and "0.06" is 0.047mm

2022 09 05_4088

0.2mm nickel rod was used to replicate these mast head ?ariels...

2022 09 05_4078

I've had several instances of riggiing coming unstuck recently after having been "stuck" down with CA glue.  Traditionally I've used Loctite Power Flex Gel or Loctitie precision (liquid).  There's nothing more frustating :rant:

I'm indebted to Toby Knight who featured and lauded this CA glue on his Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/TobysModels  He is an excellent modeller.

2022 09 05_4084

It is significantly more reliable and is now my Go-to CA glue - it's not immediately obvious, but it's made by VMS who I believe are a Polish firm and make the best anti-slip product for 1/35 armour.  Their varnishes are also well rated and sit ready for me to use.

Thank you Toby.  No failures since using, it is liquid, gives some time to adjust and then sets very firmly......Da da!!

These top ariels are always fraught and try as I might, I could not get the bottom attached thread not to droop....

2022 09 05_4083

The ship's boat davits were also rigged using the Infini metal thread, once again immeasurably easier than using lycra thread

2022 09 05_4075

The excellent and VERY delicate Black Cat  Hazermyer Bofors were also fitted pryor to "planting" Colombo into the styrofoam base

2022 09 05_4073

2022 09 05_4074

RFI soon

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 19

20 hours ago, robgizlu said:

The rigging here is "Infini 0.3" metal rigging which I find such a help.  It's so much easier to use than thread!

I found some of this on a Japanese model site, not a bad price at £10. But then you add the postage which is nearly triple.

Hey Ho, have to keep searching.

Jon

• Haha 2

I hate to point out a minor error in the otherwise very impressive reproduction of the rigging of Colombo's mainmast, but the following may be of interest.  Each arm of the mainmast starfish carried an upright rectangular semi-directional array for Outfit FV1, a radar direction-finder (what would today be called ESM - electronic support measures).  FV1's omni-directional antennas are the hourglass-shaped aerials on the spurs pointing forwards from the topmast (Part PE20).  The stays for the topmast are attached to each starfish arm inboard of the FV1 arrays.  This arrangement is just about discernable in the port quarter and starboard bow views posted above on 31 August.

Edited by Our Ned
typo
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Our Ned said:

I hate to point out a minor error in the otherwise very impressive reproduction of the rigging of Colombo's mainmast, but the following may be of interest.  Each arm of the mainmast starfish carried an upright rectangular semi-directional array for Outfit FV1, a radar direction-finder (what would today be called ESM - electronic support measures).  FV1's omni-directional anrtennas are the hourglass-shaped aerials on the spurs pointing forwards from the topmast (Part PE20).  The stays for the topmast are attached to each starfish arm inboard of the FV1 arrays.  This arrangement is just about discernable in the port quarter and starboard bow views posted above on 31 August.

Thanks Ned - I appreciate that - I missed it completely, and to make it worse they actually do appear in the Morskie plans :banghead:

I think I was a bit freaked by setting the stays :confused:

So - it's a save of sorts, the alternative of using CA release to reset the stays was too risky to think about.....

2022 09 06_4094

Not ideal - but a reminder for anyone wanting to build Colombo

Thanks again

Rob

• Like 13

RFI here 

So here's the Close-down thread,

Build Summary

Trumpeter C Class Cruiser HMS Colombo - This iteration of the C-class cruiser follows on from the earlier HMS Calcutta but depicts a later 1943 variant configured specifically for anti-aircraft duties.  As per my comments from the HMS Calcutta build, the basic kit has excellent fit and to my mind portrays the class admirably.  Weapons and ship's boats are rather basic and will benefit enormously from 3D printed upgrading.  I hope this kit sells well for Trumpeter depicting as  it does a rather minor class of RN cruisers that were essentially designed and built for the earlier World War.  Lets hope that the Dido-class ships long promoised by Trumpeter arrive soon.  As it is this kit gets a Highly recommended from me.

Micromaster 3D printed accessories - Well what is there to say - the detail is astonishing and no serious RN build in 1/350 can now be really done without using Micromaster parts extensively.  "New" additions to this build (over Calcutta) were the deck lockers that add that further dollop of detail together with 20mm Ammunition lockers of which there are many given the 7 sets of Twin 20mm Oerlikons.  Once again the 4" guns and there ammo lockers are indispensible as are the ships boats, most notably the 27ft whalers.  The 32 ft motor boat on the port side is from a Shapeways "era" Micromaster set and has been truly superceeded by a recently released Micromaster "NZ" boat that came too late to make this build.  The 16 foot "Skimming Dish" approaching HMS Colombo is a delightful model in it's own right.  Superb all and now just about Essential!

Black Cat Models 3D accessories - Follow swiftly behind Micromaster, and as I've said before are in many ways complimentary.  The large Carley rafts, the Paravanes and the 40mm Bofors add that further detail that the basic model cries out for.  Black Cat have moved into "Complete" larger resin/3D vessels unlike micromaster and share their offerings throughout US and IJN navies.  Hopefully Ben will soon add Royal Navy figures to his range.

North Star/Black Cat figures - For those of you who have read my comparative review of 1/350 figures, in this instance the proof of the pudding came down to the eating.  After looking through all of my figures the ones that I came to, and that fitted the build in terms of actual scale size and useful poses were my North Star figures together with a smattering of Black Cat US Navy figures in caps (Set 3).  when it came to placing them on the ship - the Holden figures are jsut too large and IMHO the ION figures just too small.  The Starling figures also come out very small against the North Star offerings.  I note their postal rate has dropped from £17 to £10.   They just work, as do the Black Cat IMHO.

Sovereign Colourcoats paints - Nuff said - why would you use anything else?

Rigging - Infini 20 and 40 Gauge lycra thread together with Modelkasten "wire" which is just great but expensive and hard to get.  Those of you who followed the thread will have picked up my tip re VMS Flexy CA glue - well worth getting.  One other learnin point for me was doing "Insulators" on lycra thread.  this occasion I used Canopy glue diluted with a drop of Vallejo airbrush cleaner - which seems to break the surface tension.  Using an accupuncture needles I've found the trick is to touch once - wait then keep touching to "build-up" the "glob".  

Bob's Buckles - Indispensible for me and it's great to be able to support a fellow modeller who also posts Here (same as Jamie Duff).  I use his 1/48 "Buckles" and "Tubes" which you'll see on the mast rigging.  On this occasion I used some very fine "plaited" wire (chains) he supplied me for Paravane Chains and was utterly delighted.  They really are just too small to portray using actual chain.  I've tried plaiting wire but CANNOT get the fine result that Bob does.  I'm sure that if you ask him nicely he'll continue to supply this very fine "chain".   He gets my "Services to Modelling" award on this occasion! :clap2:

Base - Using Chris Flodberg's methods, simple and effective.  However one mistake I made on this occasion was to use Liquitex "Gloss Gel" to fill the space between the styrofoam and hull, always an issue if you are posing the vessel in "calm" water.  Despite "cleaning" it off, it still leaves a raised and shiney residue that took seveeal hours to physically "scrape" away :banghead::rant:  Belatedly I remembered that I'd used Liquitex Modelling PASTE on Berwick which is much, much kinder in cleaning up :whistle:

Name plate - https://www.nameitplates.co.uk/  Who else?  Instant service, couldn't be more helpful and I think great value.

Addendum: as of 12th September 2023 - @Our Ned has I think, accurately highlighted 2 errors in my build which you might want to avoid in any future build of yours.  These errors are propogated in the Trumpeter plans and the Profile Morskie booklet :-

1)  The topmost rear twin oerlikon is likely spurious and in it's place there is likely a Mark III Gunnery director with Yagi areials

2)  The forward davits abreast the Forward mast deploying the 27ft whalers are definitely NOT Radial (like Calcutta's) but are Quadrantal - an arrangement shared with Carlisle and Caledon

I'm grateful to Ned for his input.

So if you have't/don't go to RFI, here's the finished result

2022 09 09_4113_edited-1

And some pics of the "Sisters" together

2022 09 09_4140

2022 09 09_4141

Thanks for looking 

It's a wrap.

Rob

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

(Very) late addition, but may be of use to any future builders of Colombo who may read this thread: I think she only had six twin Oerlikons.  The fitting on the centreline, high on the after superstructure, which the kit (and the 1/700 one, and the Profile Morskie plans) represents as a twin 20mm Oerlikon mounting, appears, from photos, to have a twin Yagi aerial on it, presumably the Type 283 RDF (radar) reported in Pink Lists.  I suspect, therefore, that there is a barrage director there, for divided control of the after 4" HA/LA mounting - it would seem likely, by 1943 when such equipments were presumably available, that a second controlled channel of fire for the main armament would be fitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:06 AM, Our Ned said:

(Very) late addition, but may be of use to any future builders of Colombo who may read this thread: I think she only had six twin Oerlikons.  The fitting on the centreline, high on the after superstructure, which the kit (and the 1/700 one, and the Profile Morskie plans) represents as a twin 20mm Oerlikon mounting, appears, from photos, to have a twin Yagi aerial on it, presumably the Type 283 RDF (radar) reported in Pink Lists.  I suspect, therefore, that there is a barrage director there, for divided control of the after 4" HA/LA mounting - it would seem likely, by 1943 when such equipments were presumably available, that a second controlled channel of fire for the main armament would be fitted.

Hi Ned - thanks for the input.  Entirely possible - I followed the Trumpeter instructions and the Profile Morskie book :nerd:

Though this pic does suggest a twin Oerlikon rather than a Yagi antenna though I could be wrong.

Scan0187

However to have had a second barrage director would seem logical and desirable.

On 9/8/2023 at 11:46 AM, theskits62 said:

Absolutely gorgeous !!

48 minutes ago, bissyboat said:

It´s a true work of art. 🙌

Thanks Fellas 

Appreciate that

Rob

• Like 1

Looks to me like a twin 20mm trained abeam to starboard with barrels at about 60 degrees elevation, and another to port likewise, with horizontal yagi aerials trained aft in the aftermost sponson at that level (plus the two twin 20mm on the next level down, trained aft although the starboard one's not very clear).  Seventh mounting is shown in the Trumpeter instructions and in Profile Morskie - so it must be true 🤣

• Like 1