Phantom FG.1 "Black Mike"

So last birthday my nephew asked what I'd like, I gave him a model shop link and said anything you like in 1/72.

And this is what he bought me, when asked why, his reply was "Because it's the coolest!"

And it just kept getting better, the wife and I went to Wales for our anniversary, I knew we were passing SWAM but even I knew not to push it and ask to pop in. Alas she forgot card/pressie so I was allowed to go!!!

spacer.png 

But then I started the build, I had a number of issues so please forgive me. Number one was masking inprints on the gloss finish, warning to others, heat works, but bends things!

Ok enough ramble, a few pic that dont show my errors too much (this is only by 7th build, but loving it)
I know she probably never flew like this, but my son was insistent that all the missiles should go on :)
Many thanks again for the questions answered in other threads.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ps I posted instruction on the stand idea here

Edited by mouse808
missed info
  • Like 64
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• mouse808 changed the title to Phantom FG.1 "Black Mike"

Thank you all for the kind words

12 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Very nice work indeed. Love the gloss finish.. What did you use for this?

It just Tamiya X-1, but as I say I had a dreadful time with the Tamiya masking tape leaving marks on the paintwork, not residue so much but an actual imprint (it had been de-tacked, and the paint left to dry for +48 hours).

So after plenty of reading of this site, I bought some micro mesh cloths and rubbed it down (after the hairdryer disaster, if you look at the tube on the tail, you'll see), the shine is now from a coat of Future (I read a lot about shine at scale too but the satin varnish I bought was only just off matt, and I liked the look of the Future after the decals).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1